Anyone been on X excursion/trsfr to Rome at end of cruise?

Waihekean

If so, would love to hear what your experience was using an excursion as a transfer to Rome on disembarking.

The one we are looking at is pick up from ship at 7:30am, then straight to St.Peters Basillica and the Colosseum, then drop off at the Ostiense train station at about 2pm. Cost $155 US per person.

As we can not get into our apartment till 2pm this seems a great solution. Plus these are the two sites that I missed last time. Did not do St.Peters Basilica due to the two hour wait in the hot sun to get in and Colosseum planned to leave till this time.

Do you think it is worth doing? I presume that I can get straight into the Basillica. Or would I be better off organising something with Rome Cabs?

Appreciate any help:)

Hi there:

Yes, hubby and I took the ship excursion/drop off at the Rome airport a few years ago.

The trip was excellent value for money we thought. Though it was a few years ago now, we looked at all the options of getting from Civitavecchia to the airport in Rome. Given we had a long flight ahead of us, neither of us wanted a stressful, tiring day with luggage to worry about whatever we chose.

Thus, for us with a day to kill prior to our international flight, not having to lug luggage around and one last day of relaxing site seeing with a drop off at the airport was priceless to us:)

Our experience was great - we were early off of the ship, straight onto the bus and we left without much of a wait for others. The tours of the sites were well paced, and we were not rushed at all. It was particularly beneficial to be a part of a tour group at both the Coliseum and Basillica as the guide had pre-booked our entry time and so you by-pass long line-ups.

Hope this helps, have a great trip.

It worked well for us, too.

We saw St Peter's Basilica, the Vatican museum and the Sistine Chapel, without having to wait in queues/lines. We saw lots of people lining up to go into these places and we felt that the tour saved us from that.

We were dropped off at Rome's Termini station and had no problem getting a taxi from there to our hotel.

Sounds like autostrada robbery to me. . .

Why? ........

Transport to Rome (at least one hour drive), then includes one entrance fee to the Colosseum, no waiting at two sites, two guides and transport to train station and our luggage is looked after for 6.5 hours.

FYI if booking vehicle tsfr for 2 Pax is 450 euro's (approx $603.50 US).

Why? ........

Transport to Rome (at least one hour drive), then includes one entrance fee to the Colosseum, no waiting at two sites, two guides and transport to train station and our luggage is looked after for 6.5 hours.

FYI if booking vehicle tsfr for 2 Pax is 450 euro's (approx $603.50 US).

€450 for two is very expensive!! I paid €120 for a transfer for two from the port to my hotel, dropped off the cases, room was ready! And then explored Rome.

I've also done this with a larger group from my roll call, we were all dropped at our respective hotels, it cost us €26 per person

Pre book tickets for the places you want to see to avoid the queues :)

€450 for two is very expensive!! I paid €120 for a transfer for two from the port to my hotel, dropped off the cases, room was ready! And then explored Rome.

I've also done this with a larger group from my roll call, we were all dropped at our respective hotels, it cost us €26 per person

Pre book tickets for the places you want to see to avoid the queues :)

Exactly. Others on our roll call have formed a group and it will cost 25E/pp to be dropped at their hotels in Rome. However, I am considering taking the train for 6 euros directly to Termini, where I can leave my luggage at the checked luggage window, and then I can take the metro straight to the Colisseum. Having prebought my ticket, for 13 euros, I will skip the line and go directly inside. I can tour the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Hill at my leisure, take the metro back to Termini, collect my luggage and hop the train to the airport. Total cost: 20 euros/pp.

If I was the OP, I would take the train to the closest station to my hotel and either walk or cab to the hotel and leave luggage there. Even if you can't access your room, the hotels are very good about letting you leave your bags there either before you check in or after you check out. Then I'd be free to go out and start touring on my own.

$155 seems like a LOT to me, but of course YMMV!!

I agree with Cathy; with a little planning you can do the same for a lot less. Seems like a huge mark up to pay for a little bit of convenience. Personally I would either take the train or organize a small group from the Roll Call and have six people or so share a transfer through a company like Rome in Limo.

This site has some good planning and travel tips for Rome.

Gives you a good overview of what options are available.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/airport/civitavechia_train.htm

We are using the same Tour company multiple times which brings the price down.

1. 9 1/2 hr Florence & Pisa with private tour guide, van for 6. Only us 2 couples so far may invite another couple once on the cruise. Price goes up but cheaper pp.

2.Pick up at the port and transport to Rome apartment for the 4 of us in van. We have 5 medium bags & 4 carry on so a car won't work.

3. Private tour guide to meet us at the Vatican for private front of line tour.

4. Transfer from Rome to Ostia Antica day before flight with private tour of site and drop of at a Hotel on the Med shore. Transfer to airport next morning only a few km away.

The more we bundled the cheaper the prices got.

OP here. Thanks all for the new replies and I do know that I could travel to Rome in a cheaper way like travelling with roll callers with say Rome Cabs which I have done before.

I am looking at options if we find no one to share (so far no one is not even going shared to Civi on roll call), nor do we want to go by train.

We also are in an apartment and not a hotel, so can not drop luggage there.

But I appreciate all the the travelling tips, I am sure it will benefit another CC'r.:)

Hi, ship gets to port at 5:00 am. What would be a good time to tell driver to meet us if we are doing self debarkation and going to Rome?

It is not guaranteed that they would dock at 5:00am and you would have to check with the ship what the earliest time is you can self disembark.

Myself would aim for 7:30am, but I have read here that some Pax have left earlier and really cut it fine and for a flight around 10.30am.

But personally would not advise this as there is too much that can go wrong.

Last year I had a pick up at 8:30am for a flight at 1pm. That was just right, with quite a bit of time spare, but we did not do much shopping, mostly time spend in the waiting hall.

Archived