My VERY late review of our Eastern Mediterranean cruise onboard the Navigator!

Oh, we also invested in some small purses that have safety locks, so we would not be as easily pick pocketed.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1155_zpsc116454d.jpg

Joanna can you tell me about your little security purses - your sisters looks cute in this pic and I'll be shopping for one soon.

Joanna can you tell me about your little security purses - your sisters looks cute in this pic and I'll be shopping for one soon.

I will tell you the brand of purse I have too. I have a PacSafe. They make an entire line of travel bags with lots of safety features.

Hi Staci, these are actually Travelon bags. I ordered these off of QVC, but they also have a website that gives you more choices. These are very compact but hold quite a bit. There are several compartments inside the bag, one with a zipper. You then have a place for all of your cards. The card holder section is on the back of the bag close to your body. It doesn't have a lock, but the flap that covers the larger compartment does. Katie and Corrie loved theirs. The larger bag I have is a SafPac bag. I carried more things, so depending on where we were going and how long we were going to be there determined which bag I carried. We never had any problems with pick pockets. If we did, the bags did their jobs, because we never lost anything!

Hi Staci, these are actually Travelon bags. I ordered these off of QVC, but they also have a website that gives you more choices. These are very compact but hold quite a bit. There are several compartments inside the bag, one with a zipper. You then have a place for all of your cards. The card holder section is on the back of the bag close to your body. It doesn't have a lock, but the flap that covers the larger compartment does. Katie and Corrie loved theirs. The larger bag I have is a SafPac bag. I carried more things, so depending on where we were going and how long we were going to be there determined which bag I carried. We never had any problems with pick pockets. If we did, the bags did their jobs, because we never lost anything!

Thanks so much!

PS - Your Amalfi/Positano photos are amazing! I can't wait to go!

Next, we went to the changing of the guard at the Presidential mansion, not at the tomb of the unknown soldier. Here, it was not very crowded at all, and we all had really good views.

Here is Corrie posing with the guard right before the changing.

ItalyandMedCruise770_zpsf8183dca.jpg

And do you remember when I said our driver in Sicily wasn't bad on the eys? Well, Paul gave him some competition. I wanted to bring him back to the US with me! :D

Paul....

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1225_zpsb037bcfe.jpg

Here comes the guard to take the other guard's place. Now, these guards cannot so much as scratch their noses while standing there. This has to be a horrible job!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1228_zpsae157ca0.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1234_zpsf6a671c3.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1235_zps9b46b2af.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1236_zpsa9fcfd07.jpg

Here is the guy inspecting before the exchange is made. Now, if you had an itch, this would be the guy to scratch it for you....no kidding! They have some way of signaling when they are needed.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1237_zps695d4a35.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1245_zpsbb5b4eb1.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1248_zpse98308ee.jpg

These soldiers were training to become guards. I took this picture out of the closed window of our moving van. Sorry about the quality!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1253_zps8a6a9b07.jpg

On we went to get some incredible views of Athens!

In the background, you can see the Acropolis....

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1264_zps4a2a782b.jpg

Paul even gave us the choice for even better views, but we had to walk a very steep climb. We opted for it!

We were walking to the top, where the white restaurant is....

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1266_zpsc14802c0.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1268_zps2b68a174.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1275_zps83e646b1.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1267_zps28abbb57.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1279_zpse2a64b20.jpg

Edited by Ireallyneedavacation

Now, Corrie takes pictures of things that make her happy. This includes all religious people. Any picture I have posted of a religious person, Corrie took it. So, when she saw this man, she knew she had to get his picture! Toni just added to the happiness!

ItalyandMedCruise794_zps90122d25.jpg

On the way down....

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1287_zps32b1030a.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1285_zps317dbfd4.jpg

After we made our steep descent, we went to the Plaka for lunch. This is monument we saw on the way. We loved it! It was built for the Olympics. If I remember correctly, it is called The Running Man. (I could most definitely be wrong!)

ItalyandMedCruise796_zps7d6a0343.jpg

Now, if you are concerned about a port stop in Athens because of all of the uprisings, don't be. According to Paul, these protests are not in the tourist areas of town. And if there was to be one in a tourist area, tour guides now how to get around them. They will not take you anywhere they believe will endanger you.

We made it to the Plaka, and Paul recommended a couple of places to eat. We chose the one that was right in front of us.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1289_zps6598abb7.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1292_zpseb6b8c14.jpg

This is also where Steve One made his Greece TV debut. A news station interviewed him regarding how he feels about safety while visiting Athens. Of course he told them he felt safe, but while the interview was going on, Steve dos was oblivious that Steve one was being interviewed. He had his back to him. During the interview, Steve One was tugging on Steve dos' back trying to get his attention so that he could video him. Well, Steve dos thought he was being pick pocketed! He immediately went on defensive (while the interview was going on)! He finally figured out it wasn't a pick pocket but Steve one, but by then it was too late to get anything on video. Steve dos immediately grabbed Steve one and took him over to the TV crew so that they could do the interview over again, and he could video it! It is probably a good thing, since the first interview had background noise of someone thinking they were getting pick pocketed! I just love Steve and Steve!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1290_zpse88bb745.jpg

Most of us ordered gyros. They were sssoooo good!! I do have pictures of those! Who knew real gyros had french fries in them!

ItalyandMedCruise805_zpsfa4e66d4.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise804_zpsc5de09b0.jpg

I had to show this picture. It is of Steve and Steve with the owner of the restaurant. Steve one's secret talent is taking pictures of himself and others, perfectly centered with everyone in them. You would be amazed!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1293_zpsc5396eb1.jpg

Oh, I must add something here. The Plaka has a lot of gypsies. They send their children over to your table to play instruments. The kids then hold out their hands for money. You must ignore them. They will continue to bother you until you make yourself clear that you do not want them there. It is very sad.

After lunch we decided to walk to the Greek Agora.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1306_zpsa3413e0a.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1298_zpse474ed94.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise818_zpsa03f57e9.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1314_zps914c7edc.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1325_zps11244773.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1320_zpsb7ca553b.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1319_zps4c6b26ed.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1302_zpsaa15ae00.jpg

We then did a little shopping in the Plaka. We didn't have much time, so it was very quick shopping!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1327_zps04c42687.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1328_zps5d989241.jpg

From here we went to our final stop of the day The New Acropolis Museum. No pictures inside, but it is a very interesting museum. It has tons of artifacts, including some from the Acropolis. Here are some views of the outside. It is built over an excavation site.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1337_zpse924e507.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1335_zpsd4399011.jpg

That night Steve and Steve had invited all of us to dinner at Chops. I had never done specialty dining on any cruise. It was amazing!! SO GOOD!! One more joined us from the roll call, Andrea. She had ridden to the port with Steve and Steve, and she would be joining us for our tour in Turkey. Here is Steve One showing off his talent of taking a picture of all of us!

MedCruiseSpecialtyRestaurant_zpsf2fe85e9.jpg

Desserts!!

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1354_zpsbb89999f.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1353_zps7a535ab0.jpg

After dinner, the girls (minus Andrea) went to the ice skating show. I thought it was very good considering the small rink they were working with.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1349_zpsa226182c.jpg

Towel Animal...

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1110_zpsa608c1d0.jpg

Next port stop....Ephesus, Turkey!

I forgot to sum up our tour of Athen with Paul from Greek Taxi. It was AWESOME! He was very personable and told us about what it is like living in Athens. He talked about himself, so we got to know him. He looked out for us and knew where we needed to go when. It was so nice to be at the Acropolis without tons of people. He also timed the changing of the guard so we wouldn't have to wait very long before it started. He pointed out buildings that were used for the Olympics and just continuously entertained us! He was great! Too bad I couldn't pack him in my suitcase! :)

I am so glad that I found your review! It is so enjoyable & makes me smile :) I'm thinking of taking my daughter next June/July for a graduation present from high school. Right now, we are looking at NCL 12night med. cruise. Lots of similar ports. Can't wait to read more!

We are taking our son on the 7/7/13 sailing as part of his graduation trip, you and your daughter should join us :)

Next stop....Ephesus, Turkey...This port might take a while to cover!

We used Trans Balkan (no space between the words, it got blanked out when I first typed it) Tours for our day in Ephesus, and to say it was uncomfortable is an understatement. Our tour guide "John" made sure of that.

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1472_zpsc43f17a8.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise942_zps25749750.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1475_zpsecedf4e9.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1474_zps23bc163e.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1360_zps08c0c7d5.jpg

Ok, let me give you a little background on this tour. I emailed this tour company more than once telling them that we did NOT want to go to a rug factory. Well, we met John at the port and got on the van and what was one of the first things he said? He told us that the only place to get safe food to eat is at a weaving school....well, I guess I never said weaving school. He then asked if this is where we wanted to eat lunch. I said nothing, but the rest of the bunch said, "yes". What else were they supposed to say?

This is our tour guide, John...

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1361_zps6eb09d53.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1359_zps3be8e52b.jpg

Our fist stop of the day was the acient city of Ephesus. Now, we were told we only needed Euros. Well, guess what, to enter the ancient city, you need Turkish Lira or a credit card. I was never told this pre-tour. Thankfully, we had all brought a credit card, but instead of John letting us pay our on way in, he insisted that we pass him our cards, and he would sign for us. I watched all of this very carefully, because I wasn't very comfortable with it. We finally made our way in, and John finally showed some of his worth. He is very educated on the ancient city and has actually done excavations here....I only believe this because some of those excavating that day stopped and talked with him.

ItalyandMedCruise1751_zps8c92e863.jpg

The Temple of Hadrian

ItalyandMedCruise1757_zpsaaa24558.jpg

ItalyandMediterraneanCruise1394_zps2c0ad549.jpg

And then things became a little more uncomfortable. Every chance he got, John hugged me, and unknown to me until later, he was saying inappropriate things to Steve One.

ItalyandMedCruise866_zpsb8d15b15.jpg

Of course, Katie and Corrie thought this was hilarious!

ItalyandMedCruise867_zps29bbc135.jpg

Things then got a little more uncomfortable. John told us to quit watching this reenactment. It was only for children.

ItalyandMedCruise1778_zps6b5d47b3.jpg

He needed us to sit. We sat in this area on ruins.

ItalyandMedCruise1774_zps9ffb4aa8.jpg

We thought we were about to get a history lesson of some sort. Well, it was a history lesson, but one about his life. He told us how he used to do excavations there....that he actually did those we could see around us. However, they ran out of money, and he went to work in Istanbul for the government. I forget exactly the entire story, but it turns out he is in the process of suing the government. We then made our way to the Great Theatre....yes, weird!

ItalyandMedCruise892_zps48c8a07a.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise1783_zps377b294b.jpg

.....And then things got a little more uncomfortable!

Things then got a little more uncomfortable. John told us to quit watching this reenactment. It was only for children.

ItalyandMedCruise1778_zps6b5d47b3.jpg

He needed us to sit. We sat in this area on ruins.

ItalyandMedCruise1774_zps9ffb4aa8.jpg

We thought we were about to get a history lesson of some sort. Well, it was a history lesson, but one about his life. He told us how he used to do excavations there....that he actually did those we could see around us. However, they ran out of money, and he went to work in Istanbul for the government. I forget exactly the entire story, but it turns out he is in the process of suing the government. We then made our way to the Great Theatre....yes, weird!

ItalyandMedCruise892_zps48c8a07a.jpg

ItalyandMedCruise1783_zps377b294b.jpg

.....And then things got a little more uncomfortable!

geez leave us hanging, ha ha