What month to go in?

Allisonmarieh

I recently won a trip on the Norwegian Majesty from Boston to Bermuda. Now we have to pick a date? Does anyone have any suggestions on when the best time to go would be? We've never been so have no idea what to expect? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Congratulations....nice prize!! I agree that May or June are good choices. September and October can also be very nice, but that is hurricane season. From mid June through to August there will be quite a few children on the ship, so depending on whether you are taking children or not, you'll want to plan around that. I think it also gets quite hot and muggy during the summer months.

Hurricane season is June to November, not just September and October. Bermuda had a hurricane in 2003 and the previous one was 16 years before that. I wouldn't base travel plans around the remote possibility of a hurricane, if everyone did that Orlando would be empty the entire summer.

For how hot it will be in Bermuda go to www.weather.bm and click on 'Climate data' for detailed monthly weather information.

Hurricane season is June to November, not just September and October. Bermuda had a hurricane in 2003 and the previous one was 16 years before that.

Here's some interesting historical data - there certainly have been a few good storms in Sept/Oct., and although I knew that hurricane season lasted longer than just the two months, I guess I wasn't very clear in my earlier post. I was simply trying to state a few pros and cons for certain months. http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/bermuda.htm

It's just that Bermuda gets, on average, about 5 inches of rain each month so when planning vacations to Bermuda predicting the weather is like betting on a roulette wheel, you never know what you're going to get. Last year it was August that almost broke records for rain. June 2004 was so dry it was almost a drought, yet June 2003 saw a gale that lasted nearly two days and dumped 5 inches of rain.

as a surprise for my husband's 60th b'day, i booked a long weekend at elbow beach for the last weekend in august. we are married 17 years and have never taken a vacation without the kids not even a honeymoon. it will be my luck that all the rain will wait for that weekend. what can we do if it rains? or should i say when it rains?

cruzobsessed, if it's raining hard there's always shopping in Hamilton, going to the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Instiute, the Aquarium/Zoo, the Crystal Caves, taking a taxi tour, spa tratments, even visiting other hotels/resorts and walking around can be neat as there are a number of large hotels and they have no problem with non-guests coming in (since large hotels have stores and restuarants they'd want you to spend money in ;) )

We've always gone to Bermuda in mid-September (6 times) and so far (knock on wood) we've never had a weather problem. In September, the days are still hot - mid 80's to 90; water temps in mid 80's, so great swimming (and very few kids on the ship because school is back in session). Of course, there's always the outside chance of a hurricane, but here we are, June 9th, and the first hurricane has already formed - so there's never a guarantee. The good thing is that hurricanes are forcastable well in advance and their paths can be tracked, so the ships can go around them and avoid them altogether. Sometimes you may get high surf on the beaches as a result - I have seen this on one or two or our trips, but the sun was always out!!!

Planning a vacation so far in advance is always a gamble - so go ahead and plan, and hope for the best (and if necessary, make the best of the worst).

Have fun -- we're sailing to Bermuda again this year Sept 24th and eagerly looking forward to it. May the sun gods shine on us and keep those hurricanes far, far away!! :D

Archived