Things to do in Houston during a half-day

oilfan63

Will be arriving in Houston on Fri 22 March and will be staying at the Airport Marriott (IAH) ca. 2:00 - 3:00 pm

Looking for something to do for the rest of the day. Suggestions?

Not enough time to do NASA (previous cruisers have told us that it needs a full day to fully appreciate). What else to do?

Near the airport there isn't much. If you like horse racing, you could check to see if there are races that day at Sam Houston race park, which is nearby:

http://www.shrp.com/

Can't think of much else that is less than hour away. Leaving the airport area at 3 pm and trying to go to the museum district (south of downtown) wouldn't leave you much time before they closed.

You will be close to The Woodlands, which is where I live.

If you like to golf, there are lots of great golf courses (I don't, so I can't give recs off hand, but I can ask a friend).

There is also the Woodlands Mall (meh), and the Waterway, which I like a lot. If you decide to visit the Waterway, check out Hubbell and Hudson while you are waiting for a table at Grimaldi's Pizza. Hubbell and Hudson is a fun, upscale market and Grimaldi's has amazing pizza. The Woodlands has GREAT people watching.

There's also a great spa in one of the big hotels, but I can't remember which one right now. If that's something that interests you, let me know.

That said, the racepark is pretty fun. I'm hoping to go see the Ostrich and Camel races....I wanted to see the datsuns, but we all got sick. :(

Will be arriving in Houston on Fri 22 March and will be staying at the Airport Marriott (IAH) ca. 2:00 - 3:00 pm

Looking for something to do for the rest of the day. Suggestions?

Not enough time to do NASA (previous cruisers have told us that it needs a full day to fully appreciate). What else to do?

Change hotel to NASA/Clearlake/ Webster area and do that Kemah/Nasa thing or

Just drive into Houston and do museum district.

Or go on to Galvesto and stay there!

There is a lot to do on island.

Archived