Great video on Royal Caribbean fire suppression systems

One day on Liberty of the Seas in Cozumel I stayed on board to have a peaceful day. Well, as I was casually strolling around the ship, the crew suddenly conducted a full bore fire drill.

I was stunned and fascinated to see crew dressed in full fire fighters' regalia carrying heavy fire hoses headed into some lounge and they meant business. Other crew were all busy doing their assigned fire emergency tasks and I was so impressed with this drill. I have never forgotten it.

It did a lot to boost my confidence in how Roayl Caribbean crew would handle an emergency.

What happened to the crewperson working on the engine next to the one that blew up? If I was that guy, I would have my own personal Carnival Triumph lower deck episode going on as the other engine blew up! I hope he made it out ok.

The narration in the video said he was not injured and was able to escape. That is one of the advantages of the HI Fog system, in that it does not remove breathable air from the enclosed space like CO2 or Halon.

This was a great find! Thanks for posting the video link.

Eric

Thanks for sharing that! I thought it was very interesting. It's a good reminder that the ships we love are very complicated pieces of machinery, and we need to be able to trust that the cruise lines are maintaining them properly. Both of the fires talked about in the video were caused by relatively small parts!:eek:

Great video. Thanks for sharing. I will be on the Explorer in just 2 weeks. Nice to know that in the event that anything should happen, we will be in good hands.

We were on the Explorer the other year and there was a fire in one section of the ship. Captain came on about 10-15 minutes later saying all was good.

Gwen :)

Archived