cruising with a toddler

Maa9144

Hi,

I posted this question on the RCCL board and someone there suggested that I look here as well to get more feedback.

I have never been on a cruise but am trying to plan one for my mother's 63rd birthday. We will likely be going in September and I have heard good things about RCCL. I have a 19 month old who will be a little over two years old when we go. I am not interested in dropping her off in the kids club( I know she is too young) or having her swim in the pools as I can"t swim myself. Does RCCL have good play areras where me and my toddler can play together while my mom does her own thing?. Also how is the food on RCCL?. I thought of doing celebrity and would also welcome feedback about play areas on celebrity if anyone knows. Thanks so much in advance.

Which ship are you looking at?

RCI doesn't have particular play areas, but there are once or twice daily sessions where a kids club member brings toys and activities into a closed bar or lounge area and the kids take over!

The Jewel had one unique, tiny area that was open 24/7 with toys and activities but I don't think that is common across all ships. There was also a small "boat" built into the entrance of the schooner bar that was fun to climb in and out of, turn the steering wheel, etc.

We've had a lot of fun playing on our balcony with an inflatable pool and a bucket or two.

I've read other posters talk about bringing their kids to the bingo games or art auctions (louder events) and letting them fool around in the back.

Oh forgot to comment on food! We're never had complaints, we like to order room service in the very early am for our early bird son, we've had lunches in the MDR or the buffet and dinner always in the MDR. We've shared our meals with DS or ordered his own from the kid's menu.

Thanks for replying!. I was thinking of the oasis. For celebrity the summit but I am totally open to suggestions. This trip is for my mom's birthday but I have a baby who will be a little over two at the time. Just looking for a nice galant where my 62 year old mom and my toddler will both have a good time

Hi,

My husband and I were on the Allure this past May, without kids but checking it out for our grandkids this summer.

You can borrow toys from the nursery to bring back to your room, there is a splash zone for the little ones that are not completely toilet trained. There is a play area on the boardwalk, as well as the Carousel. There are also movies, indoor and outdoor. I think there will plenty to keep your little one occupied.

Our younger granddaughter will be 21 months old when we go, so we really wanted to make sure she would have a good time.

Have a great trip!

There is a play area that is well stocked with toys on the Oasis Class and I believe they have them on Freedom class also. It was right as you enter the kid's club areas. They will give you a compass specific for your lo(Babies & Tots) which has morning play groups scheduled where a staff member is in there and does activities with the kids. When those activities weren't happening, the play area was open for free play with parent supervision. It wasn't a huge room but plenty big enough for a toddler to burn off energy and its sound proof:) The toy rental and Babies & Tots program was great too. We took advantage of both on Oasis!

We loved the food! No complaints at all!

If you are going in September- why not do one right out of Bayonne NJ like Celebrity Summit or Explorer of the Seas. With a little one- you really don't need all the bells and whistles. I like Celebrity Summit the best and they go to Bermuda and New England. I liked the Bermuda cruise because you are there for three days and you can get off the ship and explore at your leisure. Your Mom, Grandma and baby will love the Aquarium and Zoo. Bermuda is a clean beautiful island with no one to hassle you with braiding your hair and trying to sell you crap.

We did that one and I highly recommend. Celebrity is more upscale than Royal and I think the adults will like it better than Royal. That's my opinion. They have nicer eating venues too where you can take a baby (Bistro on Five $5pp and Qsine $40pp).

I'd get two connecting rooms- so that you have two tv's and two bathrooms rather than a suite. It will be more cost effective and better for you all.

Oasis and Allure have nice play areas for toddlers. They will loan you a bag of toys for free for the week also. They also have dedicated play/story/activity times for parent and child together. There is also a black light puppet show that is pretty elaborate. Other royal ships that have the royal babies and tots nursery may have some of these nicer toddler offerings too but I have no idea which ones or to what extent. If you have no intention if using the nursery.

Also, the royal ships with the royal babies and tots nursery offers a nursery for 6mos-36mos for $8/hr. We used it for our son at 17 and 29 months for a few hours. I wasn't sure if you knew this was an option or just choose not to use childcare on a ship so I just thought I'd mention it. It would give you and your mom some time together.

Also, the royal ships with the royal babies and tots nursery offers a nursery for 6mos-36mos for $8/hr. We used it for our son at 17 and 29 months for a few hours. I wasn't sure if you knew this was an option or just choose not to use childcare on a ship so I just thought I'd mention it. It would give you and your mom some time together.

What are the hours for Royal Babies?

Thank you so much to all who answered so far. You guys are awesome. I think she is too young to be in the nursery and know she would cry and cry if I left her there. She has a nanny at home. On the other hand it would be nice to have a few hours of alone time with my mom. So happy that allure and oasis have nice play areas and there are organized activities for her. Anyone know about the play areas on celebrity?

They do have "Toddler Time" at the youth program on Celebrity. I have not used this but there is dedicated time each day for your child to play in the Fun Factory with you. There is in cabin sitting at night. I did use that and my son didn't cry at all. Although my son was very used to sitters and never cried with them.

This is from the website:

Toddler Time for children under age 3

Toddler time allows parents and toddlers to interact with other children their age. Fun Factory Staff members provide suitable toys for this age group, including LeapFrog® interactive toys. In accordance with USPH policies and standards, Celebrity has provided each ship with lavatory-based changing tables and baby wipes. Children participating in organized events must be fully potty trained; however, you can accompany your child to any organized activity if they're not.

Babysitting Services

Parents, enjoy a night out. Use our babysitting services, in both the Fun Factory and in individual staterooms. For a fee of $6 per hour per child, children ages 3-11 can participate in the Afternoon Party from noon-2PM on port days and/or the evening Slumber Party from 10PM-1AM. For a fee of $19 per hour, for up to three children within the same family, parents can arrange for a private, in-stateroom babysitter, subject to availability. Children must be 12 months or older to be eligible for in-stateroom babysitting. Please arrange 24 hours in advance.

Archived