Maho Beach Restaurant/Bars ... ??

bling19572010

I want to take my parents, who are in their late 70's, to Maho beach to watch the planes. I would like to know if either of the restaurants/bars would be appropriate for my elderly parents. Also, is the Driftwood Boat Bar or the Sunset Bar wheelchair accessible? Which bar would be the most suitable for watching the planes?

Thank you!

Sunset Beach Bar and Driftwood Bar have many photos on Trip Advisor..you should take a look. Keep in mind Sunset offers free drinks to all topless women...we were there in June for 9 days..

Angela

They still have to sit at the bar though, correct?

Sunset Beach Bar and Driftwood Bar have many photos on Trip Advisor..you should take a look. Keep in mind Sunset offers free drinks to all topless women...we were there in June for 9 days..

Angela

Thank you for the info....Sunset doesn't sound like a place where I would want to take my parents!

Thank you for the info....Sunset doesn't sound like a place where I would want to take my parents!

I have seen one topless lady in 20 visits or more just FYI and that was over 5 years ago now. There are so many people there when ships are in port that they will not notice if one or two ladies are topless.

When we were there in June...there was probably 10 ladies all together..one gal laid out on the beach with us...a couple were at the bar and the rest were sitting at tables enjoying appetizers and drinks.

Angela

This was during the day? Maybe I'm too busy watching the planes or just desensitized now.:D

I want to take my parents, who are in their late 70's, to Maho beach to watch the planes. I would like to know if either of the restaurants/bars would be appropriate for my elderly parents. Also, is the Driftwood Boat Bar or the Sunset Bar wheelchair accessible? Which bar would be the most suitable for watching the planes?

Thank you!

Driftwood is definitely NOT wheelchair friendly. It's located in the sand and I don't think it would be a great place for your parents. Pretty "rustic" which is what we like, but a little rough around the edges.

Sunset would definitely be the place. Very touristy, and while they do offer drinks to topless women, it's not "sleazy" there at all. Two of us women wanted to drink topless, but they made us stay right at the bar. There were people of all ages from the ships there including kids and plenty of places to sit in the shade and watch the planes.

Driftwood is definitely NOT wheelchair friendly. It's located in the sand and I don't think it would be a great place for your parents. Pretty "rustic" which is what we like, but a little rough around the edges.

Sunset would definitely be the place. Very touristy, and while they do offer drinks to topless women, it's not "sleazy" there at all. Two of us women wanted to drink topless, but they made us stay right at the bar. There were people of all ages from the ships there including kids and plenty of places to sit in the shade and watch the planes.

Is Sunset wheelchair accessible? Thank you for your reply!

hmm, not sure, but I would say yes. It is more of a "restaurant" with decks and different seating areas. I can't guarantee it's got "accessible" restrooms or anything, but I'd say you could push a wheel chair somewhere there to grab a bite and watch the planes. If you want a good view, get there early and pick your seat!

St_Martin_2010_007.jpg.d641d7fcbd835198980252979a2a90ec.jpg

13294213_SUNSET20BAR.jpg.3529bf18d359aea50de90497c010fb37.jpg

I was at Driftwood two weeks ago, and I think it would be accessible. There is a little concrete ledge/wall, and the beach is behind that. In front, where the table are, was concrete not sand. Parking is right out front. There were 2 folks 75+ in our group and we had no problems. Sat at a table near the beach, under an umbrella, for most of the afternoon. Drank some cheap beer and had some munches. It was great. The only thing lacking is the bathroom facilities - it's just a port-a-potty type affair. I walked down to Sunset to use the washroom and it was BUSY - very, very crowded and noisy.

Sunset is the place for you and the toilets are wheelchair accessible. the top deck or the lower deck is also wheelchair friendly, but the best will be top deck for the views, have a great day and as said before if there is somebody topless at the bar it will be 1 with 500 people around absolute no problem. enjoy

Archived