Tours in Fiji

I am cruising to Fiji next month on the Rhapsody, stopping at Denarau/Nadi and Suva. Having looked through the RCI shore tours, there are two things I would particularly like to see/do - I would like to see a Fire Walking Ceremony and participate in a Kava Ceremony (one where I actually get to sample the Kava myself).

The only way to do both with RCI is to do two separate tours, seeing Fire Walking at one port and Kava at the other. I can live with this.

What I want to know is whether or not booking through RCI is likely to be my only option. I know that the tourist operators in NZ are always lining up at the i-Sites, waiting to take you away for half the price of the RCI alternative. Does the same hold true in Fiji?

I'm guessing the Fiji tourist operators are keen on taking you to their "favourite" resort for the day, but are there likely to be any locally operated tours which would include Fire Walking and/or Kava?

When we arrived in Denarau - there were lots of local operators on the dock looking for customers.

We took a taxi, with another couple we hadn't met before, to the Garden of the Sleeping Giant - an orchid garden. Very beautiful and a cool walk through the shaded gardens - lovely. So many different kinds of orchids. This was followed by a trip back to Nadi (probably a 10-20 minute drive) to explore the city, followed by a kava ceremony.

Then back to Denarau and a slow drive past all the resorts.

We enjoyed this tour and our taxi driver was very good as a tour guide. Didn't cost much - can't remember how much. Although we did have to pay to get into the orchid gardens - $12FJD (approx $6AUD).

Called the Sleeping Giant as the hills are in the shape of a person lying on their side.

You'll probably find that most tours in Fiji incorporate a kava ceremony. We've done day trips to the islands and these always have a kava ceremony too.

When we were at denaru there was a show in the shopping centre and you could have kava then, personaly it wouldn't be something on my list and your advised not to try it on the boat. It looks like dirty dish water and has a pepper tast. Suva is an absolute treasure trove for crime, I would do a tour there and get away from the main centre. We went out to the pearl resort, which included a traditional show, lunch etc and we relaxed and went jet skiing.

Archived