Vibrations in aft cabins?

der93711

I know this topic of the aft cabins has been discussed over and over again, but I just have to ask once again for any information about the vibrations. I know all about the advantage to the balconies and I think I would not hesitate to book a large aft balcony, but I worry about the vibrations on the Mille. You can feel the vibrations in the dinning room on the M class ships and that is also aft. Would we also feel the vibrations in the cabins? Would I be sorry I took an aft cabin if we are sensitive to vibrations (during sleeping hours)? All comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Der

I know this topic of the aft cabins has been discussed over and over again, but I just have to ask once again for any information about the vibrations. I know all about the advantage to the balconies and I think I would not hesitate to book a large aft balcony, but I worry about the vibrations on the Mille. You can feel the vibrations in the dinning room on the M class ships and that is also aft. Would we also feel the vibrations in the cabins? Would I be sorry I took an aft cabin if we are sensitive to vibrations (during sleeping hours)? All comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Der

We've noted this only in the morning on arrival at ports as amount of thrust and angles are changed quickly, and a good deal more on the C-Class than the M-Class ships. In a sense, it's our wake-up call in the morning if we're planning to get moving once we've docked :D

Apart from that, it's never been a bother, and we've been dead aft on both classes of ships in either FO (C-Class), or CC or FV (M-Class) cabins since we started cruising with Celebrity.

We cruised INFINITY Family View 7202 to Alaska May 16-28, '05.

Vibration is same as in Dining Room. When you lay your ear against your pillow and the pillow against the mattress, the vibration purrs through:eek: It is not annoying nor bothersome. It just reminds you that you are on a ship and not sitting in your family room. You do hear it though and you have to decide if it would bother you.

Would you give up this for a little 'purring vibration'.;)

DSC02998.jpg

Thanks

Der

When we were on the Infinity in an aft cabin, the vibrations were very very mild especially compared to the aft vibrations we felt in the aft cabins that we had on two different Century class ships (difference is day and night). Plus they only occur when the ship is performing port maneuvers so their duration is extremely limited.

I've been in aft cabins, and while the vibration is noticeable, as other here have stated, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the cabin or the cruise. Any vessel will have vibrations at the stern which worsen during certain maneuvers. On the other hand, you get more sea noise, wave slams, and various mechanical rattles as you move toward the bow. It's all part of being at sea :D

Would you give up this for a little 'purring vibration'.;)

Nice picture -- great moment. Hope you don't mind, but I tweaked it a bit. (It's a compulsion with me -- I see a good pic that could use a little nudge, and I've got to try it.;)) I'm sure you probably have or would have done the same :)

http://www.davehau.com/1/DSC02998.jpg

I've been in aft cabins, and while the vibration is noticeable, as other here have stated, it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the cabin or the cruise. Any vessel will have vibrations at the stern which worsen during certain maneuvers. On the other hand, you get more sea noise, wave slams, and various mechanical rattles as you move toward the bow. It's all part of being at sea

Nice picture -- great moment. Hope you don't mind, but I tweaked it a bit. (It's a compulsion with me -- I see a good pic that could use a little nudge, and I've got to try it.;)) I'm sure you probably have or would have done the same

http://www.davehau.com/1/DSC02998.jpg

Damn you're Good! We were going to buy a new camera. This is a two yr. old Sony that we HATE but you did such a great job I'll keep the camera and let you tweak. Now, as they say on TV,How'd You Do That?:eek:

We wanted to buy a Nikon D-70 or a Canon Rebel before we go to Rome but now I realize I just need you and your tweaking.:D

(I will be sending you all my pics to tweak:p )

'Louisiana Brenda'

Damn you're Good! We were going to buy a new camera. This is a two yr. old Sony that we HATE but you did such a great job I'll keep the camera and let you tweak. Now, as they say on TV,How'd You Do That?:eek:

The problem with the original appears to have been tha the user had incorrectly set the white balance control. Looks like it was set for incandescent (light bulb) light instead of sunlight. That's a particularly big problem on a hazy day. Your Sony should have come with some basic image editting software that will let you clean up color balance problems.

First, thanks for your kind words.

The photo as you posted it had two basic issues. First, as canderson alluded to, was the white balance, or overall color temperature of the image. My guess would be that your camera was set to automatically choose the white balance, which works well as long as there is a predominant source of light, with a fairly even distribution of light and dark tones in the image. In this instance, the camera faced a nightmare of a situation: bright sunlight, sunlight being reflected off the ocean, off the deck, off the divider between the cabins, as well as the shaded area in the foreground of the image. The camera tried to set a decent white balance, but didn't quite get it right, going far too cool (blue). Automatically choosing a white balance is something even the best digital SLRs still struggle with, and the best solution for working photographers still is to set it manually, using a variety of techniques. The second issue was that the gentleman in the picture was backlit -- a large amount of light was coming from behind him, which caused the camera to expose for the strong light, and thus made his face and other details too dark. Backlighting is a problem photographers have wrestled with forever, and the most sophisticated SLRs out there still have problems with this sort of light.

The fixes were fairly simple, and probably took less than a minute. I used Adobe Photoshop, though nearly everything I did could be done with Adobe Photoshop Elements, which is a program available for under $100. The color issue was corrected by using the Auto Color adjustment, and then tweaking it a bit more using the manual color adjustments. To bring out the details of the gentleman's face and surroundings, I used a control called Levels, which lets you selectively adjust the lightness of the bright areas of the picture (highlights), the dark/black areas of the picture (shadows) or the middle range of brightness (mid-tones.) (One note here: Whenever possible, do not ever use the simple Brightness/Contrast adjustment found in most image software -- this damages more than it helps, in almost any situation.) I simply lightened the mid-tones until an acceptable level of detail was visible. Lastly, since my adjustment of the mid-tones had caused the sky and balcony walls to become too light, I used a tool to selectively undo the changes to just those areas. It sounds far more complicated than it is to do all this.

Your two-year old Sony is probably quite adequate for most sort of traveling photography, as long as there is plenty of light, and the subject of your photos isn't moving very fast. In my Canada/New England gallery linked in my signature, two of the images were taken with a Sony compact digital camera, which is about 2-3 years old. I have it near me constantly, as it easily slides into a pants pocket, or it can be popped in the glove box of my car. The other images in that gallery were taken with professional level digital SLRs, with high-end lenses. That being said, you might be hard pressed to say which two pics came from the Sony.

Take some time and reread your manual for your Sony. Walk around your house, your neighborhood, etc and take some pictures just to try out the features. If you are still having problems, my email address is on my galleries, and you can email me with the exact model info on your camera and I'll try to assist you on specific issues. While the digital SLRs you mention certainly might expand your photo capabilities, they also come with some decent-sized learning curves of their own, so familiarization with whatever camera you choose is always the first step. When I switched from film to digital SLRs, the first couple months were not pretty -- if it hadn't been for the price of the units, they may have taken a flying lesson off a local bridge ;)

Archived