Question regarding New Orleans port parking and firearms...

STLRampage

I have my concealed carry permit and am usually armed when I leave my home. Does anyone know if there would be any issue storing my firearm in a lockbox in my vehicle in New Orleans port parking?

I will be spending some time in New Orleans after my cruise and would prefer not to leave it at home.

Thanks

I have my concealed carry permit and am usually armed when I leave my home. Does anyone know if there would be any issue storing my firearm in a lockbox in my vehicle in New Orleans port parking?

I will be spending some time in New Orleans after my cruise and would prefer not to leave it at home.

Thanks

Your best bet would be to contact New Orleans PD and ask them. We too have permits and had an out of town meeting at a place where handguns were not allowed. We contacted the local PD and they agreeded to hold it for us. That was only for a day, so don't know about the length of your cruise. Just call and ask. Happy sailing.

Simple: See if your state has reciprocity with Louisiana. Good chance it will. If so, lock in your car safe like you would anytime it is not on you. No one including law enforcement has any reason to know where that weapon is with reciprocity.

Simple: See if your state has reciprocity with Louisiana. Good chance it will. If so, lock in your car safe like you would anytime it is not on you. No one including law enforcement has any reason to know where that weapon is with reciprocity.

New Orleans does honor my permit I just wasn't sure if Official Port Parking had any restrictions.

Sail from New Orleans a couple times a year. We use fulton parking sometimes and Port depending on how their constant construction is going. You will see your first firearms limiting signs at the entrance to checkin as far as the terminals go.

If it makes you more comfortable, port security has kept mine on one occasion when they were having a rash of car break ins. But you are responsible enough to have a car safe and nothing is safer than that unless they take the car. I applaud your level of responsibility.

Sail from New Orleans a couple times a year. We use fulton parking sometimes and Port depending on how their constant construction is going. You will see your first firearms limiting signs at the entrance to checkin as far as the terminals go.

If it makes you more comfortable, port security has kept mine on one occasion when they were having a rash of car break ins. But you are responsible enough to have a car safe and nothing is safer than that unless they take the car. I applaud your level of responsibility.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

I have 3 kids so keeping the guns that are not with me locked away is a huge priority to me.

And it's easier to carry a gun than to carry a policeman!

Bingo. LOL

Don't get me wrong. I hope I never have to shoot anyone. I'm not a superhero wannabe or trying to be a cop. I avoid dangerous situations whenever possible but I live in a dangerous city.

I too have a concealed carry permit, and I live in Louisiana. According to Louisiana law, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. Therefore it is legal to store a firearm, even conceal a firearm within your vehicle with or without a permit even though the place where you park it refuses to allow handguns on the premises. Smart choice in bringing it. I don't dare go to NOLA without mine. Just be sure to secure and hide it when storing it.

If you get stopped by a policeman while driving in NOLA, you must, by law, inform him that you have a Concealed Carry Permit and inform him that you have a handgun in the vehicle. Most times they will secure the weapon by locking it in the trunk of your car, or just hold onto it until they are finished. Some members of the NOPD, however, have a nasty habit of confiscating handguns and telling you to reclaim it at the station, but you'll need a proof of ownership like a bill of sale. BE SURE TO DEMAND A RECEIPT IF THIS HAPPENS, otherwise the officer in question may not bother to mention they confiscated it, and may have just added a piece to his/her personal collection. If they refuse to do give you a receipt, get their name and badge number, and ask to speak to their superior officer.

Bring your firearms if that will make you feel safer, but New Orleans is NOT a dangerous city.

There is plenty of crime here, but the vast majority of it happens in parts of the city that tourists will never visit. My wife and I spend just about every Saturday in the French Quarter (we will be leaving for there in an hour or so) and have never felt unsafe.

Use the same common sense you would use when visiting any other big city and you will be fine.

Bring your firearms if that will make you feel safer, but New Orleans is NOT a dangerous city.

There is plenty of crime here, but the vast majority of it happens in parts of the city that tourists will never visit. My wife and I spend just about every Saturday in the French Quarter (we will be leaving for there in an hour or so) and have never felt unsafe.

Use the same common sense you would use when visiting any other big city and you will be fine.

Seems safe...

http://www.crimemapping.com/map/la/neworleans

• 3 weeks later...
I too have a concealed carry permit, and I live in Louisiana. According to Louisiana law, your vehicle is considered an extension of your home. Therefore it is legal to store a firearm, even conceal a firearm within your vehicle with or without a permit even though the place where you park it refuses to allow handguns on the premises. Smart choice in bringing it. I don't dare go to NOLA without mine. Just be sure to secure and hide it when storing it.

If you get stopped by a policeman while driving in NOLA, you must, by law, inform him that you have a Concealed Carry Permit and inform him that you have a handgun in the vehicle. Most times they will secure the weapon by locking it in the trunk of your car, or just hold onto it until they are finished. Some members of the NOPD, however, have a nasty habit of confiscating handguns and telling you to reclaim it at the station, but you'll need a proof of ownership like a bill of sale. BE SURE TO DEMAND A RECEIPT IF THIS HAPPENS, otherwise the officer in question may not bother to mention they confiscated it, and may have just added a piece to his/her personal collection. If they refuse to do give you a receipt, get their name and badge number, and ask to speak to their superior officer.

Thank you for sharing this information. It's great info to have!

Archived