Does this sound like a good plan?

nkdelgado

Hello Everyone, my family of 5 (Including 3 daughters 15, 11 and 8) will be driving to NO the week of April 1. We have booked our pre-cruise stay at the Holiday Inn in Metairie because of the option to leave our vehicle here during the cruise. My question is, how close or inconveinant will this be to touring the French Quarter the night before we leave?

Things we are interested in: French Quarter, Cafe Du Monde, Cemetary tour, maybe a haunted tour, finding resonably priced regional food to try etc...

I am almost as excited to be visiting this iconic city as I am the cruise, just feeling about overwhelmed about all of the options. What do I HAVE to see?

Depending upon route and time of day, the French Quarter is only a 15-20 minute drive from Metairie. If you have a car, you will have no problem finding reasonably priced restaurants. Three in Metairie are Drago's ( seafood, known for its oysters, especially chargrilled oysters), Fausto's (Italian) and Mr. Ed's (neighborhood New Orleans restaurant). For food, check TripAdvisor and the Tom Fitzmorris website.

Check and see what festivals are taking place in the city.

I have never taken a ghost tour though there are probably several in the French Quarter. The city has an outstanding zoo and aquarium. I would suggest always exercising common sense with visiting the older cemeteries because some are located in areas where there can be some criminal activity.

We haven't done the cemetery tour but did the walking ghost tour in the French Quarter and enjoyed hearing the history of some of the buildings. Oh and don't wear black when you go to Cafe du Monde because that powdered sugar will find a way to get on you. lol The aquarium is really great and not to be missed. Hope you have a great time down here and on your cruise.

Archived