PHOTO Review:Inspiration to Ensenada & Catalina + "Behind the Fun" Tour & Queen Mary

sailawaybellaluna

Your trip report was such a great help to me preparing for my last March cruise on the Inspiration, then I wrote my own...and weirdly by a chance offer will be on the Inspiration again next week, I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated your report though, it really was wonderful!

Hi Dicecatt!

I remember when you were planning your cruise! So glad my review was helpful. How lucky you're going again next week! We've been having such gorgeous 80 degree weather - hopefully it'll continue for your sailing!

Hi there

I'm one of the folks along with my girlfriends who will be sailing on Imagination in January 2014, out of Long Beach CA. Looking forward to it now; but prior to this summer, I was a bit concerned because I wasn't certain that I'd enjoy a small ship/short cruise on Carnival. I normally sail Royal Caribbean, and like their style of ships, activities, itineraries. Thankfully I've spoken to a lot of frequent Carnival cruisers here on CC, and I'm a lot less worried after reading about their fun experiences onboard. How was the Inspiration for you?

Hi cjdixon4,

I've done Royal Caribbean as well, although usually their older/smaller ships. I'll be on one of the larger ones next week, so I'll let you know what I think!

Not sure if you had a chance to read the review regarding my thoughts on the Inspiration, but we really had a fun time. Despite the horrible weather, and the fact that the ship is older and kind of decorated in garish neon colors. :p It was an easy, relaxing, cruise...

I think on any ship, it's what you make of it. We met a lady who was horrified by what people wore to the dining room each night, and let it completely ruin her meal! We're pretty easy going travelers (although we do get dressed up for dinner in the MDR every night, I'm not going to let someone's jeans and hoodies ruin my fun).

We are going on the Miracle in December 2013 & staying on the Queen Mary the night before. I have heard that Long Beach is one of the worst ports of embarkation. Is there any advantage to staying at the Queen Mary (yours is the review that convinced me to stay there). Can we just drop off our luggage & then return to board when the lines are less? What is your experience? Thanks.

Oh, I think this was the easiest embarkation we've ever had actually!

I did think there was an advantage to staying at the Queen Mary - you are literally RIGHT THERE. You go down the elevator and drop your luggage and check in at the rear engine room of the QM. It is staffed with Carnival employees, and we probably waited a total of 10 minutes to drop of all our luggage, get our sail & sign cards, etc.

Then we walked around front of the queues for the boarding of the Carnival ship, and basically, walked right through!

We were up on the Lido deck having lunch at around 11:30am if I remember correctly! The ship looked like this - empty!:

carnivalboardingforreview_zpsa33e8e35.jpg

It was SO easy! I would recommend going early BEFORE the lines start! We love boarding the ship as early as possible - makes the most of our 1st day of cruising!

I am planning to review the Imagination in December, but it is going to be a Caribbean itinerary.

Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas 08/2006

Carnival Fantasy 06/2007

Star Princess 04/2010

Carnival Sensation 04/2013

Carnival Imagination 12/2013

Carnival Breeze 05/2014

Loved this cruise! We did this 2 years ago with our kids, and loved staying on the QM. I would highly recommend saying there, much more to do than your average hotel. We were on deck and started seeing a few people board our ship, so we packed up and headed over there. Boarding was a breeze, and they had welcome aboard champagne, and a great lunch on the Lido.

This was our 3rd cruise out of Long Beach, never had a problem. We had always stayed at the Weston, but will always stay on the QM. The sail and park package made it so much easier.

Glad you posted the Winery tour because we are going again in December with another couple, and are doing that in Ensenada. Can't wait!

Loved this cruise! We did this 2 years ago with our kids, and loved staying on the QM. I would highly recommend saying there, much more to do than your average hotel. We were on deck and started seeing a few people board our ship, so we packed up and headed over there. Boarding was a breeze, and they had welcome aboard champagne, and a great lunch on the Lido.

This was our 3rd cruise out of Long Beach, never had a problem. We had always stayed at the Weston, but will always stay on the QM. The sail and park package made it so much easier.

Glad you posted the Winery tour because we are going again in December with another couple, and are doing that in Ensenada. Can't wait!

Just curious how the Westin is in terms of a sail and park package? We're looking at doing a quick 3 day the first week of January, but due to New Year's, the prices at the QM are quite a bit higher for the park and sail... Thought I might consider some other options?

The winery tour is fantastic! You'll have so much fun!

• 11 months later...

I subscribed to this review last year and remember how fantastic it was. We're now doing a Christmas cruise to the Mexican Riviera and staying on the Queen Mary before. I was excited to read your reviews of Mary. Thank You!

I subscribed to this review last year and remember how fantastic it was. We're now doing a Christmas cruise to the Mexican Riviera and staying on the Queen Mary before. I was excited to read your reviews of Mary. Thank You!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas cruise and enjoy the Queen Mary!

Thanks for reading along!

• 2 months later...
We had some downtime before getting dressed up to go to Formal Night - AKA "elegant night" on the Carnival ships.

Or, in this case, not so elegant night. :rolleyes:

I'm not the type of cruiser that's going to freak out if someone is in the MDR wearing jeans and flip flops. It won't ruin the taste of my lobster!

That being said, I've never seen people dress the way they did for this elegant night! Perhaps it was the cold stormy weather that made people reach for their hoodies rather than their heels? Some people really took it a bit far though. That evening I saw a gal wearing her Old Navy flannel pajama bottoms (I know because I have the exact same ones!) along with a thermal in the MDR for the formal night dinner. In fact, I saw her in the dining room the next day wearing the same thing for breakfast!

This brings back memories DM and I were on the three day to Ensenada this past summer and there was a guy that wore the same outfit the entire cruise! We are booked on the four day looking forward to both ports. Anyone done the canopy excursion and can give feedback would be great. Also anyone use the kids club on the inspiration?

• 3 months later...