Strange Pricing for third person in same cabin.

flamboyant 1

Hi Seabournites,

With two families (6 pax, 4 adults, two children 9 and 13) we wanted to go on a Grand Voyage in the Mediterranean, so I called to get prices and reserve for the July 1, 2006 Seabourn Spirit sailing, 21 days - and I get the same price for everyone of us in the lowest room category. Regardless of taking 2 or 3 cabins.

50% off the full brochure fare for everyone. Ridiculous. The sailings with 60% off would be cheaper for the first two adults in a cabin than for the 3rd person in the same room, a child that doesn't even drink any expensive beverages...;)

Also imagine the 6 of us on a 60% reduced grand voyage. It would be cheaper in 3 cabins than in 2 cabins with triple occupancy, although in the latter case Seabourn could have sold one more cabin because we would just occupy 2 suites.

The rather rude agent said: "no bargaining (actually I thought it was 50% off the fare paid for the third person) and we don't want a third person in the same suite." Reason wasn't given, but she really said that. Then just take 3 cabins was the great advice.

This pricing strategy makes no sense from an economic point of view. Because now only 4 of us will sail in two cabins, no children.

The options for 60% off cruises are even stranger. Why should one pay more for 2 than 3 suites ?

Why should a third person (child) in a suite pay more than the first two adults ?

Hi,

We investigated this recently. We were thinking of having three passengers in the one suite on a Grand Voyage. When we spoke to the VERY helpful Seabourn representative, she explained that since the brochure fares were already reduced to 50%, the third person in the cabin was no longer entitled to a further discount off the full fare. If the first two passengers were paying 100% of the fare, then the third passenger would be entitled to 50% fares. Thus, we were advised to take two cabins, due to the fact that the third person could get there own suite for just 10% extra. Seabourn are VERY generous with single passengers!

However, I do understand your confusion over why this is the case, but I don't know. I think that it is just the fact that reduced fares are no longer entitled to further reduction. Also, the representative told us that Seabourn WILL NOT allow more than 208 passengers to sail. They are VERY strict with this and thus if there are two cabins with three people in them, then they would have to sell two single cabins to balance our the numbers. So, from their point of view they would prefer you to have three cabins. Even if you had two cabins, they couldn't make more profit by selling another cabin because of the 208 passenger limit.

Hope that helps

I think the message is that 3 in a suite is not something to be recommended. The suites are designed for 2 persons. Most passengers sailing with their children, of the ages you specified, will get an adjoining suite for their kids. The suites are definitely not suitable for more than 2.

I think getting upset at Seabourn for treating your children as passengers is silly. What they are telling you is that if you wish to bring your children, they need to have a place to sleep! Seabourn doesn't like to have 3 in a suite because the suites are not designed that way, and frankly, it's not fair to the neighbors on either side, as there would likely be more noise. We've already discussed on other threads that Seabourn isn't the best place for children, but certainly they are welcome to sail if they can be properly accomodated.

Denyse

"Seabourn WILL NOT allow more than 208 passengers to sail. They are VERY strict with this and thus if there are two cabins with three people in them, then they would have to sell two single cabins to balance our the numbers."

Good explanations, I would have accepted this.

"Seabourn doesn't like to have 3 in a suite because the suites are not designed that way, and frankly, it's not fair to the neighbors on either side, as there would likely be more noise." - Maybe, but not in our case, since we know how to behave. No worries, the neighbours would not hear or feel a difference whether we are 2 adults or have our 9 year old girl with us, in fact, if it ever was the case that there was disturbance in hotels or on ships or on planes, it was us who were the victims, not the causes of the bothering noise.

This also raises the issue that the walls may be too thin.

"Third person could get there own suite for just 10% extra." - I was not offered this option, which indeed sounds very fair.

It is now more likely that just the four adults will travel.

"Seaborne is really not designed to accomodate your children; the passengers are generally travelling w/o children either by choice or b/c their children are no longer with them."

It is Seabourn! We wanted to take the children to educate them about the sights of ancient Greek and Roman history. Children learn better when they are young. Our and our friends' children are used to travelling in style and learning a lot. They behave considerably better than many adults we have met.

Hi Flamboyant1,

I was the one who mentioned the third person only paying 10% extra. I will just clarify this for you. The third person could pay a 'single supplement', which ranges from 110% to 150% or more of the fare offered. If you book early enough, single travellers can have their own suite at VERY reasonable prices. Since there were two children in your case who would share their own cabin (should you have chosen this option) they would pay full price each. Sorry if I confused you there.

And yes, I believe that it is just that Seabourn are exclusive and offer a certain level of service. If they have more than 208 passengers, then their crew:passenger ratio would change, and service may be compromised. I don't feel that they are anti-children, or that children should'nt travel.

I don't know if there is anything else I can tell you to help you in your situation. Sorry to hear that your children are missing out - instead you will have to tell them all about it when you get home :-)

Cheers

One comment I have is that I have never felt the walls were too thin. I rarely hear anyone and in fact, spent the last cruise never hearing or even seeing the cruisers in the next suite. I knew they were in there at times, because I saw the breakfast menu and Do Not Disturb signs on occasion. In fact, I peeked at their luggage tags late the last night to find out who they were and where they were from! I have also been by the elevators and never heard them either.

Jane (I also tried to listen for the CruiserBunnies who were below me, but no sounds from there either<G>)

Hi all,

The maximum capacity of 208 guests is to do with Safety Of Life At Sea regulations. Every ship has a maximum number of guests that can sail on board. Based on safety equipment, lifeboat capacities, etc. In the case of Seabourn, it's 208. Not really a service issue since Seabourn's staff would pretty much do whatever it takes to keep up the service levels, as far as I can tell.

bgood

Flamboyant One,

Children are welcome to sail Seabourn, and many do during the summer months. We have found the kids onboard to be well-behaved, and generally well-traveled. We have even been invited to a few teenage parties, as my husband is a big kid himself. So, don't feel for a moment that your children couldn't, or shouldn't, sail the cruise you are interested in.

Rather, if you really want them to join you, consiider getting an adjoining suite that they can share. Apart from the safety concerns of sailing with more than the ship's allowed number, which bgood explained, I cannot overstate how uncomfortable 3 to a suite would be in any event. The suites are designed for a comfort level of 2 persons, and I cannot imagine what it would be like to have a rollaway bed with 3 full-sized persons trying to maneuver simple tasks; you'd be climbing over each other. It wouldn't work very well, and would likely detract from your cruise.

Denyse

funny how the only people who really enjoy seeing kids on SB are the parents - you can educate the children about the sights of ancient Greek and Roman history on another cruise line where the fares are less so yhou canafford a large suite or 2 rooms - but cramming into a suite on SB, come on!

and for goodness sake, let the kids be kids - send them to summer camp or on teens tours.

Ok, got the points, of course single supplement is only for one person per suite. Not an option in our case.

Also 2 persons per suite seems to be highly recommended. Thanks for the tips.

skiier, it is the itinerary that matters:

http://www.seabourn.com/PlanYourCruise/CruiseCalendar/CruiseItinerary.asp?Main=Dest&Sec=Voyages&Sub=Itin&CruiseID=3633&Region=10&Club=

Other cruise lines do not visit so many interesting ports. And the service matters for the adults. Summer camp is not a great option for the children concerned, they are used to travelling with their parents.

Anyway, 4 in two suites or 6 in three will be what we consider now.

Archived