Hotels in Kauai

donna@donnaanderson.com

The Hyatt Regency Kauai and the Princeville are both gorgeous and I highly recommend both - fabulous rooms and service and the grounds are to die for. :) The Hyatt's got a wonderful pool area with an artificial saltwater lagoon (with fake sand on the bottom ;)) and the Princeville's got the killer Na Pali coastline view.

Spleen

Hi Spleen! We're still looking forward to our sunset cocktails with you and Mrs. Spleen!

Donna, we decided to get a day room at the Hyatt on Kauai. It is shockingly expensive, (over $400-) but we will get 4 wrist bands to use the facilities and when you think about it, any tour would have run us close to that! Our parents who are in their 80's will then have a room to rest in while we "play!" Since we are doing the crossing from San Francisco on the Pride of America, we figure it will be important to have some beach time!

We've done the same in Kona at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel for quite a bit less (I think around $280-). It is a little piece of paradise to us and one of the nicest beaches in the world (it was actually voted that several years ago by Conde Naste (sp?).

Aloha!

Nanette

• 2 weeks later...

The hyatt is really nice, it is a lovely upscale hawaiian style hotel. Very casual and elegant, but in a comfortable hawaiian way. The grounds are fabulous, but the beach is not very swimmable. It's a short drive over to Poipu beach however.

The princeville is also nice, but I'm not very fond of it. It's rather over the top, it just feels to sterile and out of place for me. It's more of an upscale european style hotel rather than a hawaiian resort. Not my thing... It's also very far from the port.

These two are definately the nicest places on the island.

For a bargain, I'm fond of the Kauai Coast Resort. It is very new and clean (hard wood floors, full kitchen with granite counter tops, nice beds and furniture). The on site restaraunt is fabulous. It's right next to the cocounut marketplace so you can do some easy shopping. The downside is that there isn't really a beach nearby, and the grounds are not very extensive (not a sprawling resort). It does have a nice pool with a bar and the grounds are well maintained, but nothing elaborate like the hyatt.

We stayed at the Princeville several years ago. I didn't find it "sterile" at all. It is a luxury hotel and has the most incredible bathrooms I have ever stayed in...wall to wall marble, huge tubs, thick terrycloth robes, etc. Very cozy and comfy....and luxurious. It is a really beautiful hotel. If you stay there though..be ready for expensive breakfasts..it is ridiculous how high it is to eat breakfast there. geesh. We stay at luxury hotels all the time (the Ritz on Maui is my favorite) but even my husband was taken back when he saw how high the breakfast was!

We stayed at the Princeville several years ago. I didn't find it "sterile" at all. It is a luxury hotel and has the most incredible bathrooms I have ever stayed in...wall to wall marble, huge tubs, thick terrycloth robes, etc. Very cozy and comfy....and luxurious. It is a really beautiful hotel. If you stay there though..be ready for expensive breakfasts..it is ridiculous how high it is to eat breakfast there. geesh. We stay at luxury hotels all the time (the Ritz on Maui is my favorite) but even my husband was taken back when he saw how high the breakfast was!

Sterile might not be the right word :) Let me just say, both hotels are great and by far the nicest. They are also both very expensive so they may not even be an option for the poster.

My take is that the hyatt comes off as a casually elegant hawaiian style resort. The princeville, on the other hand, is more of an upscale grand hotel. It's a matter of preference, I prefer the style of the hyatt. It's very open and relaxing, you can sit in the open air lobby and listen to live music, etc. The princeville resort is just not my style, to me it feels like it's trying too hard to be 'fancy'. Nothing wrong with that, just not my taste.

On the flip side, the north shore is my favorite place to stay, but for many the hyatt might be better as it's closer to activities and things to do.

Personally, I prefer to rent a small cottage tucked up on the north shore. For half the price of a room at princeville, you get a complete house with absolute privacy and perhaps even your own hot tub :)

I got a great rate for the Sheraton Kuaui since my husband works for the gov't. Could not pass it by. So we will get off the ship for one night and enjoy the nice pool and beautiful beach which is ranked # 1 in the world. I kept checking out rates for the Marriott, Princeville Hotel and the Hyatt Regency and I would have paid tons more. Even if it is not quite as nice, I think we will like it. Parking is free, there are laundry rooms so we can do laundry and there are free mai-tais in the evening. The photos look gorgeous and I have always wanted to see this island; it is a dream come true for me. I am running around the house singing Bali Hi from South Pacific and am thinking of getting this CD to keep me in this very happy mood!

I am running around the house singing Bali Hi from South Pacific and am thinking of getting this CD to keep me in this very happy mood!

"You got to have a dweem. If you don't have a dweem, how you gonna have a dweem come twue?"

"Her name Liat. You like?" :cool:

You made a great choice - especially if you will enjoy the beautiful beach. Poipu area also has always seemed to have less rain than the Hanalei area. You might like to walk the beach to the NEW Marriott timeshare property - it is lovely, and, in the past, we have spent many hours on the beach there when the property was the Waiohai. Though we love ALL the islands for different reasons, Kauai and the Poipu area would be our favorite if we were FORCED to pick JUST ONE!! Aloha!

Archived