How's the Sushi?

CruiseFairy

I didn't know they had sushi on the Fantasy. Just returned from the Valor in March and it was busy place. Seems everyone was enjoying it. I, on the other hand don't eat anything that's still "wiggling" on the plate.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but in all of the Japanese restaurants I've been to, I've never had a cooked salmon roll. The salmon was actually slightly warm when I bit into it. I've never had a roll which consisted of a piece of rice with an entire cooked mussel on it either.

I don't understand why it is so mediocre. The sushi chefs actually appear to be Japanese, so it's not like they shouldn't know how to make good sushi.

Do you think it's because Carnival figures its core clientele won't know any better?

Do you think it's because Carnival figures its core clientele won't know any better?

Um....my guess would be because it's difficult to store that much fresh fish for an extended period of time in the limited storage areas that cruise ships utilize.

I wouldn't venture to say its because the cruise line figures it's clientele is uncultured.....but that's just my opinion

Maybe its because I've never cruised before...but its hard for me to understand the constant references to Carnival pax as poor, dumb, cheap, etc. I wouldn't think that people like that would even take cruises. Carnival is cheaper than most lines, but not cheap. :confused:

Wow that was a bit of a harsh response, I just thought blackwing was suggesting that cruise passengers in general might not know good sushi from, well, really not good sushi. Cooked salmon rolls? Yuck!

Please tell me where in my post that I was being harsh...thanks

I made a simple observation, and gave an alternate reason to blackwing :rolleyes:

No offense taken. It could indeed be that storing that much raw fish is hard to do. I wonder if the fish in the dining room is frozen. Probably.

But it also could be that since Carnival tends to cater to middle America, that many of its passengers have never seen sushi before, and don't know any better. I don't say that in a negative or demeaning way; it's just an observation.

Here's an example that might explain my reasoning. I am Chinese-American. We were standing at the sushi bar on Conquest. Some 40ish year old guy with unkempt hair, pot belly, dirty white tank top, swim suit and flip flops comes walking up next to me. Yells to his wife who keeps walking down the promenade "hold on I wanna try some of this oriental chink food". Grabs a piece with his hands, shoves it into his mouth. As he is walking away, I hear him (with mouth full) say something along the lines of "sheeoot how can those people eat this stuff". :eek: :(

So yeah, I gather it was his first experience with sushi, and I would imagine among the rest of Carnival's guests there's a lot of people in the same situation.

"I am Chinese-American. We were standing at the sushi bar on Conquest. Some 40ish year old guy with unkempt hair, pot belly, dirty white tank top, swim suit and flip flops comes walking up next to me. Yells to his wife who keeps walking down the promenade "hold on I wanna try some of this oriental chink food""At that point, you should have slapped the idiot and told him off. I just don't understand the degree some will go to be rude and/or stupid, especially on a cruise. :mad:

Finally, I think they cook the fish because of the potential liability issues and the difficulty in getting consistent sushi-quality seafood.

No offense taken. It could indeed be that storing that much raw fish is hard to do. I wonder if the fish in the dining room is frozen. Probably.

But it also could be that since Carnival tends to cater to middle America, that many of its passengers have never seen sushi before, and don't know any better. I don't say that in a negative or demeaning way; it's just an observation.

Here's an example that might explain my reasoning. I am Chinese-American. We were standing at the sushi bar on Conquest. Some 40ish year old guy with unkempt hair, pot belly, dirty white tank top, swim suit and flip flops comes walking up next to me. Yells to his wife who keeps walking down the promenade "hold on I wanna try some of this oriental chink food". Grabs a piece with his hands, shoves it into his mouth. As he is walking away, I hear him (with mouth full) say something along the lines of "sheeoot how can those people eat this stuff". :eek: :(

So yeah, I gather it was his first experience with sushi, and I would imagine among the rest of Carnival's guests there's a lot of people in the same situation.

Glad you didn't take offense, as none was meant. I simply made an observation, though I've never been on a cruise, as I stated before. But to address your observation, since you have been on a cruise...wow...I understand what you mean. I guess there are some who just aren't exposed to certain things, but I thought everyone learned manners, sheesh :mad: You seem like a very patient person, lol, because as soon as "chink" came out of his mouth, I would have popped him one good, lol.

I have never tried sushi before (just California rolls, but they don't count). It's big around her, but I've been timid about trying it. Does anyone (especially Blackwing) have any opinions on what might be some good items to try as a newbie? :confused:

Also, does the Valor charge for the sushi?

Blackwing, sorry someone said such a terrible thing at all, much less in your presence.:(

Three times I tried Sushi during a Valor cruise and 3 times I walked away disappointed. It looks like pretty little flowers and you know what? It tastes like pretty little flowers. Others seem to enjoy it, however, so what the heck! To each his own.

By the way, there will not be a 4th time. Now Pizza, that's a different story. Even with Anchovies.

Archived