How's the Sushi?

CruiseFairy

Hey there, how's the sushi, and what kinds are there on the Carnival Fantasy? Thanks!

Well I dont know on the Fantasy, but I can tell you that I personally dont like the sushi that is served on the ship. I live in Miami Beach and we have incredible sushi restaurants but the sushi on the ship isnt anything to write home about... ;)

I think the Valor sushi bar was open 5-8:30 (or maybe it was 5:30-8?).

OC Mom...just try it all. It's free and you'll find what you like. When in doubt, ask the servers what's in the particular varieties (they usually have 2-3 different varieties every night, that change) and they'll tell you how to mix up your wasabi and soy sauces, etc.

I like the veggie and the muscle sushi. actually, the rice and the ginger pickles are my favorite part (just dug up a summer salad called, "sushi rice salad" that I'm psyched to try out). the only one I couldn't take a second bite of was the octopus. :o

I have never tried sushi before (just California rolls, but they don't count).

but I've been timid about trying it. Does anyone (especially Blackwing) have any opinions on what might be some good items to try as a newbie? :confused:

No they don't ;)

Why are you "timid" about eating sushi? It's great....YUM.

Tuna is good as well as eel

I was on the Fantasy in April and tried their sushi. As others have said, it is the cooked variety. I am not a sushi connoisseur but I really enjoyed it. They roll it fresh to order. I can't name the varieties :( - but it is very good!

Does anyone (especially Blackwing) have any opinions on what might be some good items to try as a newbie? :confused:
For a beginner sushi eater, I'd stick with rolls ("maki") first. Salmon roll, or tuna roll. Tuna is probably your best bet as it seems to be the least "fishy" of the fishes. If you feel comfortable with those, then you might want to add something like a yellowtail roll.

After tackling the rolls, then graduate to nigiri. Nigiri is when you have the rectangular piece of rice with a piece of raw fish on top. Again, salmon and tuna are probably your best bets at first. Some people don't like nigiri because you get a lot more fish in one bite - with a roll, it is chopped up and sliced and you get the seaweed, rice, and other things (usually cucumber and/or avocado). With nigiri it is just fish and rice, and wasabi.

I love most kinds of sushi, except for octopus. I'm not a really big eel fan either. My absolute favorite is probably a spicy scallop roll.

There are some varieties of sushi that are cooked but still yummy. Spider roll is a soft shell crab roll, and it is cooked. Delish!

Yeah, I tried not to let that ignorant jerk spoil my vacation. Not only did he mistake sushi for Chinese food, but it was such a horribly rude thing to say. He was gone with his mouth full before I could even say anything, and in the end, it's probably just as well. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do to cure ignorance.

So is there any raw sushi on the Valor? I am curious since i will be on the ship in January and I love all kinds of sushi!!

Oh and the above poster gives good advice on what to try first :) personally I like all the really complicated rolls. with multiple types of fish, row, spicy mayo, veggies etc. and one of my favorites is a (mostly) cooked roll, it's shrimp tempura, lobster salad, black row (the name excapes me) cucumber, with raw salmon and crunches on top! YUM they call it a French Kissing roll where I go.

I don't expect that to be on the Valor though lol

I love most kinds of sushi, except for octopus. I'm not a really big eel fan either. My absolute favorite is probably a spicy scallop roll.

There are some varieties of sushi that are cooked but still yummy. Spider roll is a soft shell crab roll, and it is cooked. Delish!

My absolute favorite IS EEL! it's definitely cooked and has to be! if it's done right it's very sweet and tender with kind of a seasame flavor--at least that's the way i get it here in utah!

If you are a true sushi lover, you will not be impressed. The rice tastes funky, there is way too much of it, mayo in almost everything and all cooked stuff.

If you are not a big sushi fan and are into rolls and plainer things, it will likely be just fine.

If you are a true sushi lover, you will not be impressed. The rice tastes funky, there is way too much of it, mayo in almost everything and all cooked stuff.

If you are not a big sushi fan and are into rolls and plainer things, it will likely be just fine.

I agree.....

party20.gif

Considering it wasn't extra-charge and it was only available for about 3 hours a day in the evening, I found it to be pretty good...but definitely more on par with "supermarket sushi" than freshly-rolled restaurant quality. And you don't get to choose the ingredients you want! :( They offer 2 or 3 premade selections. The wasabi, however, was the hottest I've ever had...YUM. :D I was able to get California rolls in the dining room as a lunch appetizer one day, and I actually found these to be better quality than the stuff at the bar.

Salmon, tuna, eel, and tobiko (that's the orange roe, right?) are all great. Shrimp is shrimp, there's not much you can do to it either way. They can keep the octopus and the squid. :p

Archived