Just Back Home from Cruising on the Destiny

Ok,

I will keep this as nice as possible but for any of you that want to have a relaxing vacation with gourmet food read this>......

I have had better food in a low budget diner than what my husband and I experienced on this cruise. The waiters were nice but the food was basically yukky. Undercooked shrimp and lobster and not eatable food. I lost 15 pounds and that is the truth.

Could not wait to get to Aruba to eat at El Gaucho to have real food.

As far as the ship. I guess I should have been tipped off by the word "FUN SHIP" but I did not expect to have yelling half the night in the hall ways so that people had trouble sleeping. I did not expect to have people crowding in in fact pushing in to every event/ etc. without manners. I called the room steward to complain but get this they stop picking up their pages at 11 so my calls went to a deaf ear.

I am not a snob. I promise you that, but Carnival Destiny is a ship that should have been put in Dry Dock a long time ago. It is old, worn and is not somewhere I would invest money in to travel on had I known.

Carnival, your fun ship was the worst vacation my husband and I ever had.

The staff (cabin) did not leave anything promised over the intercom system about debarking. We had to go to the information desk 5 times to get what we needed that the cabin staff chose to ignore.

The embarkation process is a joke. We were waiting from 7 to 1 to get off the ship. They do not call you by floor. They mix it up and half of one floor is called and you wait and wait. We went to breakfast and if you are blue tagged you might as well sleep until 9 and plan to get off around noon.

If you get the picture Carnival will never be on my list again you got it right.

I would rather spend my next vacation in a motel 6 by a Freeway than get on this awful cruise line again.

atleast you lost weight. :D

Sorry to hear the Destiny didn't work out for you. Last fall we had a wonderful time. The food was great and our cabin stewart was the sweetest woman I met onboard.

What in particular made you feel the ship shouldn't be in service? Other than the pink flamingo coloring in some areas, she didn't seem rundown to us at all.

Sorry too that you couldn't reach your steward after hours, but in their defense, they would not have been the ones to handle that problem anyway. If you have the same problem on a future cruise you need to contact the Pursor's office/desk. They'll notify security for you.

Sorry you had such a bad time. Did you just not anything, AT ALL, all week? Because losing 15 pounds in a week is kind of drastic. There's plenty of available food options. Even the pickiest eater could eat from the deli, pizza, grill and salads.

Sorry you had such a bad time. Did you just not anything, AT ALL, all week? Because losing 15 pounds in a week is kind of drastic. There's plenty of available food options. Even the pickiest eater could eat from the deli, pizza, grill and salads.

She so lucky... speechless-smiley-040.gif

15 LBS???? saywhat.gif

Gosh I went for 7 days and gained 15 ... Um... I must have been doing something wrong...

What was your secret... ??

WOW - that would really stink, if it all happened to me I cannot imagine how I would feel. I am considering the Destiny (along with the Valor) for 2006 and it doesnt matter about the negatives (there really ARE NOT that many) and I will go Carnival again and probably yet, again. I cannot imagine the food being thatawful - we traveled with a group of 38 a few months back and our food was fabulous at ALL TIMES and that is from ages 16-81!!! We were very lucky??

Sorry that you were so unhappy. I mean it.

WOW - that would really stinks and if it all happened to me I cannot imagine. I am considering the Destiny (along with the Valor) for 2006 and it doesnt matter about the negatives (there really ARE NOT that many) and I will go Carnival again and probably yet, again. I cannot imagine the food being thatawful - we traveled with a group of 38 a few months back and our food was fabulous at ALL TIMES and that is from ages 16-81!!! We were very lucky??

Sorry that you were so unhappy. I mean it.

I recently read on another board that the Destiny is going in for her refurb this fall so she should be in good shape again.

I lost 15 pounds and that is the truth.

Could not wait to get to Aruba to eat at El Gaucho to have real food.

Beverlyhamilton:

You must be severely dehydrated if you lost 15 pounds in seven days. Assuming you ate nothing each day you would have to burn 52,500 calories over those seven days unless your weight loss was water; in which case your electrolytes were definately dangerously low which would lead to muscle cramps and weakness, cardiac dysthymias, headaches, and uncontrollable mood swings. I doubt you'd be capable of enjoying anything in such a physical capacity.

Thank you for taking time to post a review, but please see your doctor ASAP even if you aren't experiencing symptoms you recognize.

i can't believe she paid for this cruise knowing the ship is older and then complaining about the age of the ship. if all i have to do is cruise to loose weight, then i am cruising every day of the week....lol

Start

Weight 300

End 285

Weight 15

Calorie Loss 7500

Warning: Losing more than 1000 calories a day can

be unhealthy. See How fast should I plan

to lose weight? At this rate you will weigh

NOTHING in 4 months and 20 days!

from

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_loss.html

derf:

I think the calculator is a bit off. 15 pounds is 52,500 calories. She'd have to burn 7500 calories each day over her daily weight based requirement to shed 15 pounds. In other words, she'd have to weigh over 200 pounds and burn an additional ~4000 calories per day and consume nothing to come up with a 7500 calorie per day deficit. I can't see it happening...and I wouldn't want to see it happen either. :rolleyes:

Bev. Sorry your trip was such a disappointment. No one likes to hear of someone spending that kind of money for the worst vacation of their life. No doubt that the Destiny is ready for an overhaul. It looked worn in spots 2 years ago when I was on board (and gained 5 lbs)

I do have to find it hard to believe that of all the food choices on board you could find no suitable meals.

I do feel sorry for your personal chef though. Pleasing you must be a challenge.

I sincerely hope you have better luck in all your future vacation choices.

Sorry you didn't have a good cruise.

If age of the ship was the main problem, maybe you could try a larger ship? Don't give up on the line, if the main problems were things that could be changed if you simply tried a newer, or larger ship. Now if they were things that you think would be representative of the entire line, then maybe you should go with another one.

Happy Cruising :D

By the way, we know you aren't a snob, you like low budget diner food, and you typed "not eatable", instead of inedible ;) j/k

I know the food probably isn't great, or gourmet in the least, because they are serving wayyy to many people for that, but I don't know if I would ever set foot in a low budget diner....food has got to be better on a ship :eek:

Guest Capacity: 2642

........................2641 Happy fired up Paks, 1 Pissed off

The staff (cabin) did not leave anything promised over the intercom system about debarking. We had to go to the information desk 5 times to get what we needed that the cabin staff chose to ignore.

I called the room steward to complain but get this they stop picking up their pages at 11 so my calls went to a deaf ear.

Cable guy:eek: Probably all the 99 pages from the OP filled up the pager

You're suppose to call the room steward to complain about noise in the hallway? Thought that was what security was for.

Was on the Destiny in December and had a great time. If the food was so bad you should have sent it back and gotten something else.

sls

Archived