Rookie Question: Xcaret or Tulum

Sushi, Jacksonville Beach

My husband and I are aboard Carnival's Miracle July 3rd and wonder what we should do while stopped in Cozumel. After reading the board I believe we will actually stop in Calica?

We are toying with the idea of taking the 7 hour long excurion to Tulum or just making our own way to Xcaret? We have from 7:30-6:00 so should be plenty of time for either option but the trip to Tulum through the cruise lines just sounds HOT and crowded to me! We are definately more apt to play it by ear and hang out for a beverage or two along the way. We dont really like to rent cars while on vacation so is it easy to get a taxi from the ferry stop to Xcaret or is that even necessary? Or should we not miss the ruins at Tulum? We are probably going to do a cave tubing trip on Belize so wont be seeing ruins there.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated! This is our first Western trip so we want to make the most of the sites while leaving time to relax and take in the local flavors.

Thank you!

You can easily hop in a taxi yourself to get to Xcaret. Whether you do Xcaret or Tulum is an "apples and oranges" question. The two are quite different. Tulum will be hot and crowded. It's become quite a popular tourist stop. Xcaret is spread out enough to feel not crowded even when there are many people there.

Hope that helps!

My wife would REALLY like to do some sort of "ruin tour." Can anyone recommend someone local for TULUM? We're on RCCL Mariner of the Seas arriving 10:00AM 5 August. All the tours I've been able to find leave at 0830 and we won't be able to make that. HELP!

Greg

Sushi...

Sorry, the Miracle does not stop in Calica. It does go to Majahual also known as Costa Maya. So the only port you are going to that you can go to either Xcaret or Tulum is from Cozumel. I suggest going to the ruins at Chaccoben when you are in Majahual. Or the ones at Kohunlich or Dzibanche. OH MY GOSH! They are incredible and in my opinion, better than Tulum. They are not crowded and very spread out. Do a search on Google to find out more info than Carnival provides. I would do a beach and/or snorkle day when you are in Cozumel or go to Xcaret. But I would book Xcaret through the ship. See my post about the new ferry schedules. You won't have to worry about transportation if you book through the ship! It is all provided for you so no headache, no worries.

Greg...

Mariner does offer a tour to Tulum! It is scheduled to leave approx. a half hour after you disembark. So no problem is you want to go there. You might want to check out the Muyil tour too. It is more rustic and more flora and fauna based since you also go to Sian Kaan which is an eco reserve. Wish I could spend about 3 days exploring there! Let me know if you have more questions.

Yes, I saw the new expanded time in Cozumel. Even with the new ferry schedule, I think we will have time to go to Xcaret ourselves. The ship's excursion starts at 7:30. Getting up at 6:30 just isnt vacation so I think we will try and go by ourselves and head out by 8:30. Please let me know if you think I am being foolish to try this on our own.

Thank you for all the information!

Archived