swim with dolphins in the keys?

We're thinking of flying in a few days before our cruise and driving to Key Largo to swim with the dolphins. Has anyone out there done that? Also, we might try snorkling at the state park down there, or doing an everglades tour.

I'd really appreciate any feedback on the dolphin swim. We have two kids, ages 13 and 9.

thanks,

Mom in Mass.

Hello Mom In Mass..........i'm A Mom In Mass Too ! ! ! !

Last Year We Drove To Florida And Went To Seaworld And Discovery Cove Where My Kids (twins Age 11) Swam With The Dolphins. It Was Wonderful.

The Package Included A Whole Day At Discovery Cove (includes Lunch And All Equipment) , 15 Day Pass For Sea World And 15 Day Pass For Busch Gardens In Tampa. The Prices Were Comparable To Other Dolphin Only Excursions. I Thought We Got More For Our Money With This Package. The Only Thing Was We Had To Cut Short Our Time Due To Hurricane Francis, We Had To Leave Early And Eliminte The Busch Gardens Park. When We Got Home I Called Them To See If We Could Get Comp Tickets For This Year And They Said Due To The Hurricane They Were Happy To Refund The Value Of The Busch Garden Tickets.

We Also Got The "orlando" Card Which Got Us Discounts At Hotels And Restaurants. We Stayed At The Quality Inn On Int'l Drive And Only Paid $35 Per Night. Kids Eat Free With A Paying Adult.

Lots Of Discounts Available It You Do The Research.

Donna

hi hlywd,

I live in Newton, near Boston.

I was wondering if anyone had any actual experience with the dolphin swim programs. I read some reviews on tripadvisor. It costs a lot of money, I just want to go to the right place.

Also, we've never been snorkeling before. Is it something we can learn quickly?

thanks,

Mass Mom

Most of the snorkeling boats give a little instruction which is all you'll really need as it is easy to learn.

I haven't personally been to any of the swim with the dolphin programs, but it is a big draw for the keys. There's another place called the Dolphin Research Center that is supposed to be quite good.

We took my son (13) to the Dolphin Research Center a couple of years ago. Lots of quality time with the dolphins. Not as Commercial as the other DolphinSwims. A little more educational as well. They limit the number of swimmers each day so you have to book well in advance or you are out of luck. Well worth the dollars for such a treasured experience.

Archived