Potters Cay in Nassau

Flalolo

We have heard about Potters Cay under the bridge in Nassau. Is this a good place to go? Safe? What time is it open? Looking for some good food and some place a little more local. Can anyone give us some info? Thank you

We have heard about Potters Cay under the bridge in Nassau. Is this a good place to go? Safe? What time is it open? Looking for some good food and some place a little more local. Can anyone give us some info? Thank you

I stopped going to Potters cay about a year ago.. just go too shady and ghetto for me.

I used to love it.. but not anymore..

My girlfriend and I were curious about Potter's Cay the last time we were in Nassau and were told by our cab driver the food was great.

This time we had a cab drop us there and we walked the length of it and then walked back to the ship.

If you want local food and flavour, it's a great place to go. We were not in fear and my girlfriend marched through some of the outdoor bars because the street is very narrow. We didn't feel unsafe. It's very local there. You will see everything from live crabs to live conch slithering into their shells.

How local? You can see fishing boats tied up to the back of some of the shacks.

You will get a variety of seafoods, beer and booze there as well as vegetables, freshly caught fish and even some unidentified stuff that was covered with flies!

I've attached some photos which should give you an idea of what it's like there.

If you want a safer option, you can always visit the local food booths at the Freeport Harbour. They look much the same, small shacks that sell cracked lobster, conch and cracked fritters and a variety of fish treats.

But Potter's Cay is very real looking and the people there were very friendly to us.

Tom

potters1.jpg.33d219070c325ef996b89e326be6479c.jpg

potters2.jpg.d0d667f77caa837b297404f5d5fc74a3.jpg

potters3.jpg.f166ea3ce407f1bb0904829c57b9e022.jpg

potters4.jpg.f723d3ac40e0f5fd359d777bd680471f.jpg

potters6.jpg.f6e1a6c97872e56521ab8a5fa3c91d19.jpg

potters5.jpg.6f9b23266843595cdaad1f40696b394c.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were there late morning / early afternoon on a Sunday. We stopped on our way back from Atlantis and it was a little late for the morning fish market. However, the locals were coming from Church for lunch. We were very comfortable and did not feel unsafe. We got a few strange looks... guess they are not use to seeing two old ladies traveling around on mobility scooters. I'm looking forward to getting there early in the morning on one of our stops next year.

Betty

bigbiker.gif

Archived