Newbie questions

to the sea

DH & I are going on our first ever cruise on the Volendam in Sept. These message boards have been very helpful (thank you very much!), but I still have unanswered questions & some things I've read have caused some new ones.

1) Pinnacle Grill - how far in advance can you make the reservations & how do you go about it or who do you contact? Is it done via phone or email?

2) Immigration Form - same thing. How far in advance can you (or should you) fill it out online?

3) I read someone's post that mentioned something called "US direct package" into Vancouver, that eliminates long customs clearance. What is this, how does it work & who do I contact to arrange this?

4) We are "seriously" in need of quality time together & not taking the cruise to meet & greet new folks (even tho you all seem quite nice). Is there any way to assure table for 2 in the dining room or do we need to rely on Pinnacle Grill and/or room service?

Any and all help & suggestions for a couple of new cruisers would be appreciated.:confused: Thanks!

I can only two parts to your question. As far as the Pinnacle, you can call ship's services and make your reservations any time. On our cruise, the first night was half price.

As to filling out your immigration form. I'm so anxious for our cruise next March that I've already filled it out on line.

Maybe someone else can answer the other questions. Have a great cruise.

DH & I are going on our first ever cruise on the Volendam in Sept. These message boards have been very helpful (thank you very much!), but I still have unanswered questions & some things I've read have caused some new ones.

3) I read someone's post that mentioned something called "US direct package" into Vancouver, that eliminates long customs clearance. What is this, how does it work & who do I contact to arrange this?

A buddy who just returned from a Zaandam cruise found out about this. If you go to this Vancouver airport site it explains it. I am going to do it in August.

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/embarkation/

Your best method of getting a table for 2 in the dining room is handled by your travel agent. Let your TA know that having a table for 2 is an important part of your cruise. The TA has direct communication with HAL and should arrange it for you.

When you get your documents check for your confirmed dining time. The cruise contract should state "confirmed dining: main upper, lower, or what ever time you requested. When you arrive in your cabin onboard or when you check in at the pier, there will be a card in the folder that has your table number.

The maitre D' has hours in one of the lounges on boarding day to handle changes. The dining room map is displayed and you can find out if you have a 2-top. If not, speak to him and show him a copy of your request that your TA will provide for you (if you ask for it). We have our TA provide a copy of the fax request to HAL and their response.

I hope this helps.

GN

yes, yes, yes! Cheric, Kruzkeen & Grannynurse - you're the best. Concise, easy to understand answers to my questions....exactly the info I needed. I will follow all your good advice. Thank you so much! The anticipation is so much fun, I can't wait for the cruise!

2) Immigration Form - same thing. How far in advance can you (or should you) fill it out online? ...................

As stated above, fill it out as soon as possible. Also, don't forget to include a printed copy of the filled out form for each pax in the documents you carry with you (passport, tickets, etc.), just in case there are any questions at the pier upon embarkation.

Enjoy a wonderful time together :)

Archived