AUGG.. I am turning into a pest!!

smoothdancer

Thanks all so far for helping me to research Seabourne..... I am trying hard to figure this all out... Normally, I have pretty good reserach skills, but coming up a blank in my reserach...

Here is where we are at..... We had an interest in Italy and found a few sail dates and length of cruise that we liked, with a few days pre-cruise in Rome.... We live in the states and have never been to Europe...

We have been on close to a dozen cruises through the Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal, ect....

Here is where I get lost... If we do a 7 day Caribbean, the advantage is that I would have time to enjoy the ship.... So far, we have only sailed on the mass market lines and I have figured out this will be a new experience for us... I like the idea of just laying back and enjoying the ship. Ports will be no big deal to us..... Done that already.....

On the other hand, if we do Italy, never been before I would guess we would take full advantage of each port, and have minimual time to just enjoy the ship.... I cannot picture us staying on board knowing that there is a new world for us to explore.... In April we cruised on Celebrity, and did the Calif coast cruise, with a port everyday... We loved the ports, but felt that we did not have the opportunity to enjoy the ship without a sea day...

What do you all think??? For our first time, should we go for the ship experience or a part of the world we just have never seen??? I just cant figure it all out... Husband is no help at all... He is of the attitude, vacation, great, I dont care, give me the dates, and I will be there!!

Janet

Janet, if your husband can't help, it is even harder for perfect strangers to do more. And besides, he sounds pretty well grounded to me. Stop overanalyzing the issue (it's 7 days of your life), make a decision, and enjoy yourself. You are going on vacation, not looking for a solution to global warming! Pick what feels right, and just have fun.

Denyse

Janet,

Here's an idea that I neglected to mention which gives you the best of both worlds: sail a transatlantic cruise on Seabourn to Europe, and then you get the experience of the ship, followed by time in Europe on land. Have your cake and eat it, too! :-)

Denyse

We find that most Italian ports (Not Florence), can easily be done in half day--usually morning--then its back to the ship for a nice afternoon, and departure--while enjoying a cocktail at the Sky Bar. Seabourn sailers really have no problem finding ways to enjoy--TRY IT YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!

My suggestion is book it. You will have ample time to enjoy each port and because the Seabourn's ships are small you still will have ample time to enjoy the ship itself. HTH and good luck in making a decision.

Lisa :)

Hi Smoothdancer.

I think you should do Italy by Seabourn. It is a wonderful, easy way to travel. By some excursions if you want for the first few days, then see how the pace suits you. If you need a day to relax, do so. Stay on board and be indulged. Wander ashore late and explore the waterfront. You'll not find a more pleasant way to take your first trip to Europe. Like having your favorite small hotel magically carry you from town to town overnight. A word of warning, however: it'll spoil you for most other alternatives!

bgood

Another point is that on 'port days' there are very few daytime activities to miss! There is no trivia game, cooking class, or lecture, for example. However, those of us who don't get off in each port (occasionally been there, done that) can just luxuriate in the ambiance, uncrowded Sky Bar, and general laziness of it all.

Jane (counting down until 8/28 with increasing anticipation)

Alright BDL,, I know I was a bit over the top in my obsession to make a decision!!

My husband and I both are still pursuing professional careers, with long hours, so days off are real a luxury to us. Vacation is one of the few times in a year that we can truly enjoy uniterrupted time together...(we have a rule, no cell phones and no laptops on vacation) Since Nick leaves the travel plans to me I sometimes go overbaord to make sure I am picking a weeks time that we will both enjoy.... OK, I am beyond it now!!

I have looked at the cabin picutres a million times, chose a balcony cabin and the Italy itenerary ...7 days, which leaves on a Sunday.. We can fly in 2 days early and enjoy some time in Italy before the cruise, yet still have enough vacation time left to enjoy another vacation later in the year. My husband is Italian and although his parents were born there, he has never been, and has always wanted to.

I think I was trying to compare Seabourne to a mass market line in regards to time on the ship.... Point well taken that due to the size I can probably enjoy both. I am really looking forward to this new experience on a smaller ship....

Oh, and my husband has bought a learn Italian CD from Barnes and Noble. He is practicing by talking to the dog in Itlalian, and driving her crazy.... She has got this constant "what the hell" look on her cute face!!.....

Thanks everybody

Smoothdancer, you have made a GREAT choice! Your only disappointment will be that the 7 days is over too quickly! Trust me on this!!!

Is your dog now requesting lasagne for dinner????

;-)

Enjoy your cruise!

Denyse

P.S. Many of us are professionals still working, so your vacation time issue is near and dear to our hearts.

Archived