Dunns Falls/Tennis Shoes/Wedding Rings

Okay...so we have two nights left until we leave on our first cruise (and I know that you will be sick of me by then with all my questions!). But.... here goes.

1. Women....do you travel with your wedding ring, or something else?

2. Dunns Falls...we are taking the 4x4 Safari Adventure in Ocho Rios and it ends in Dunns Falls with the opportunity to climb the falls. Do we need tennis shoes on for that, or will water sandals with a decent grip do?

Thanks in advance!!!

Marisa

I always wear my rings - don't even know if I could get them off! We climbed Dunns River Falls in February - wore water shoes and they were perfect. It was a fun climb and while the rocks are slippery is spots, your guide will show you where the really spots are so you can avoid having a mishap.

Have a great cruise.

I can't speak for women, other than to say my wife always wears her wedding and engagement rings, even when we snorkel or do other adventures in our travels.

As for Dunn's River Falls, you really need footware that is secured to your foot. Whether you choose sandles with straps, water socks/shoes or tennis shoes, you will be OK. Flip flop style shoes will make your climb of the falls very difficult and not as enjoyable.

I leave my wedding rings in the safe when going ashore. A friend who travels a great deal leaves her rings locked up at home and travels with a very respectable fake.

We wore watershoes to climb Dunn's River Falls. You will definitely want something with a non-slip sole that fits snugly. The water can tear them off your feet if they don't fit properly.

If anyone wants to steal my ring, good luck prying it off my fingers!!!!

I did buy a nice CZ ring to wear to dinner and such, but usually only wear my wedding band everyday (can't wear the diamond with gloves). I rarely wear my engagement ring as it was my moms diamond and I would be heartsick if something ever happened to it.

At Dunns River, water shoes work the best.But do still be careful, as there are many slippery spots or places where the bottom drops off. I fell face first into a shallow pool of water when I slipped on some rocks. Nothing bruised but my ego, but the lady behind us got quite a cut on her shin when she fell.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!!!!

Yes I second or third or fourth or what we are up to that I wear my jewerly! only time that I have taken it off and put in ship safe was when doing the Dolphin excrusion in Jamacia and they ask that you have no jewerly on as it might scratch the dolphins skin.

Watershoes a must, be sure to purchase these here at home as they do sell them on the ship put you will pay lots more for them. You will love climbing the falls we had a great time. I just wished that I would have taken a towel with us as that would have came in handy, also a change of shoes as I hate to wear wet shoes. They have lockers there that you can put your stuff in when climbing the falls. Be sure to take a water camera too,the guide will take a picture of you if you do with your camera or ours did.That is a fun picture to have after the cruise.

At Dunns River, water shoes work the best.But do still be careful, as there are many slippery spots or places where the bottom drops off. I fell face first into a shallow pool of water when I slipped on some rocks. Nothing bruised but my ego, but the lady behind us got quite a cut on her shin when she fell.

Hope this helps and have a great cruise!!!!

You need water shoes for Dunn's River Falls. I fell face first also but wasn't as lucky. Two years later you can still see the scar on my lip from my fall at Dunn's River Falls, it took 8 hours for the cut to stop bleeding but the doctors on ship kept debating about whether to stitch it or not. I count myself lucky though. Somebody else on my cruise dislocated her shoulder because as she fell the kid holding her hand didn't let go. Somebody else broke their hip that week.

Yeah, DRF was tough and dangerous IMO, (My sister-in-law read were a woman actually died from a fall/slip when climbing the falls) several people in our group fell and got scrapes and bruises, one lady ahead of us, fell at hit her head pretty good. Our DRF tour guide was very rude. Not the type of experience I want on a vacation. Also - The little shop vendors when leaving DRF are extremly aggressive. If I knew then what I know now, I WOULD NOT HAVE DONE DRF!

PEAT tours did a fantastic job for us when we were on Jamaica!!

Thank you so much for the feedback. I have rarely taken off my ring but have been a little nervous about traveling and being in the water with it.

Also, thanks for the advice on Dunns River Falls. I'm very accident prone - maybe it would be more wise for me to stay on the bottom and take pictures of my husband!

Journey, you should try it. There are two ways up, right up the middle, where it can get a little tricky, or up the left side. The left side is very safe, not a slick and has plenty of branches and roots to hang onto and and pull yourself up. Do go buy some water shoes though. K-mart and Walmart sell them for about $5 a pair. On the ship they will cost you approx $20. To avoid all the venders when you come down, there is a fork on the path. Just stay to the left and it'll take you right back down to the beach. Also, I always wear my wedding rings except to clean them.

Wedding ring depends on how snug it fits on your finger. If you typicallly take it off when going in the water, I would not wear it. I wear mine, but it's snug. Consider wearing an "old" pair of athletic shoes to Dunns River Falls that you can toss afterwards. Then you will not have to lug them around. Just make sure to bring some extra sandals.

Keep in mind that rings and things fit different when you're in the hot and humidity! :) Once you get it off, it MAY not readily go back on depending on what you've been doing all day! I wore mine on my honeymoon and will wear it on my next cruise. Will leave the diamond in the safe the day I go barracuda hunting, though. They like sparkly things, too, I hear...

When I climbed Dunns in 1999 - they just wanted you to have shoes or sandals with some sort of back strap (or back support). None of this clog style. Of course they will RENT you a pair at the Falls (EW!) but trust me, take your own. I found a very nice pair of athletic Keds waterproof (with supports and arches because even these young 26 year old feet need love and support...) for $9.99 at a local shoe store sale.

I always wear my rings. As for the shoes wear them. I have cllimbed the falls twice, both when I was younger. The first time in 91 I went barefoot. The second time in 97 I wore water shoes. Much better. I wouldn't go again, my knees wouldn't take it anymore. Watch out for the vendors. Don't stop to look unless you want to be surrounded by vendors.. Just say no thank you and move on.

Go with Peat Tours FOR SURE!!!!

He's been doing the tour forever, very nice, wife is a school teacher and he built the business himself and has a few children. The reason I am telling you this is because of the rap Jamaica has been getting and he keeps you safe. I remember him telling us where to go and who to stay away from even pointing out people and places. He promised we would be the first to the falls and he was correct. We avoided all the crowds and it was AWESOME. Yes be careful but I did not find it difficult at all. I went bare foot. Even had my Camera and it stayed safe and dry.

I always wear my rings.

Have fun.

BOOK PEAT TAYLOR!!!!

Both DH and I leave our jewelry in the safe at all times when going on shore excursions. Your fingers shrink in size when in salt water so your rings could easily slip off. Had a friend who's husband lost his wedding ring in the water in St John while on their honeymoom because of this exact reason.

Also, when doing excursions such as Dunn River Falls you are likely to scratch your bands while grabbing on to rocks, etc...It would also be easy to knock a stone loose. Perhaps you already have a stone loose and don't know about it. One bump on a rock while climbing and it would be gone forever!

Just not worth it in my opinion.....

My wife and I always leave our wedding rings in the safe while going to an island, especially when we are doing a water based excursion. My wife wore aqua shoes and I wore rubber sandals for Dunn's River Falls. I would wear my aqua shoes next time, as too much sand gets under your feet in sandals.

We didn't use a guide to go up the falls. You can go all the way down to the beach (where they end) and work your way up at your own pace, if you want. We took our time playing in the open areas, took plenty of pictures when it was safe to do so without getting the camera wet, and had alot of fun by ourselves.

I have Dunn's River Falls pics if you are interested -

http://www.kennydrew.com/Enchantment%20cruise.htm

My husband and I always leave our rings in the safe. My engagement ring is his grandmothers so it is not replaceable. I had my wedding band custom made to match. I don't want to take any chances. I do like the idea of getting a CZ ring. It would never look the same but it would make me feel less naked without it.

We went to Dunn's Falls but didn't climb. We just sat at the beach at the bottom and took in the scenery. I am accident prone normally so I wasn't taking chances! It was beautiful to see though. I am glad I went.

My wife and I always leave our wedding rings in the safe while going to an island, especially when we are doing a water based excursion. My wife wore aqua shoes and I wore rubber sandals for Dunn's River Falls. I would wear my aqua shoes next time, as too much sand gets under your feet in sandals.

We didn't use a guide to go up the falls. You can go all the way down to the beach (where they end) and work your way up at your own pace, if you want. We took our time playing in the open areas, took plenty of pictures when it was safe to do so without getting the camera wet, and had alot of fun by ourselves.

I have Dunn's River Falls pics if you are interested -

http://www.kennydrew.com/Enchantment%20cruise.htm

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I climbed Dunn's in a group of 8 college friends, and we took a TON of picture of us in the falls, beside the falls, playing near the falls, etc. We got them home and decided we were all trying our hardest to be a "Welcome to Jamaica" ad... the scenery around Dunn's is AMAZING - almost unreal when you get the pictures back! It's hard to describe to people, even with pictures because (at least around Ohio here) they just can't believe anywhere could be THAT beautiful!

We just climbed Dunn's fall this week, we all wore aqua shoes, if you wear sneakers they'll be ruined by the end of the climb. We really enjoyed it. Th e guide was very helpful to me. I did bang my knee but is was minor.

Archived