Alaska while pregnant - what to do and see

Soramor

Hi there! This will be our first cruise to Alaska and we are very excited! We will be sailing in mid-May on Royal Caribbean. I will be 22 weeks pregnant at the time with our third child (RC lets you sail up until 24 wks so we're good there). We are very adventurous but realize that pregnancy will limit the excursions that we will be able to go on. So, I'm wondering what the must-sees of each port are and how I can best participate while staying safe! I'd really like to see some wildlife but have read that May probably isn't the ideal time for that (??) Itinerary as follows: Vancouver, Inside Passage, Ketchikan, Icy Straight Point, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Seward. Thanks!!:) We will be arriving in Seattle and taking the Cascades train up to Vancouver the evening prior to sailing, and will be departing out of Anchorage.

hi and congratulations on your pregnacy. i would stay away from zip-lining and the dog sled ride. they could be pretty rough. but the train in skagway, a whale watching tour ( i would advise them of your pregnacy when you book ) in juneau or walking in the ports and shopping of course would be fine i would think. you can also do the duck ride in ketchikan or go too the parks too see the totom poles. browse through the tours being offered on you ship and get an idea that would be non-vigorouse. but just watching the gorgeous scenery from the ship can be enough for lots of folks. good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the input! I see a lot of small boat tours offered, like to view bald eagles and seals and such... how rough and bumpy are they generally? Do you think that might be an option for us?

Thanks for the input! I see a lot of small boat tours offered, like to view bald eagles and seals and such... how rough and bumpy are they generally? Do you think that might be an option for us?

i would think they would be fine. since they are tours too see nature, in and especially out of the water , they will be going slower than normal boats to get somewhere in a hurry. im sure you will have a wonderful time. look for those golf balls in the tree's, those are eagles ;).

We are sailing on Radiance on 31 May, and will be in a similar situation to you.

We are doing the duck tour and lumberjack show in Ketchikan, whale watching in ice strait point and mendenhall glacier and mount roberts tramway in Juneau as well as gold panning and a salmon bake.

We are doing dog sledding in Sewrad and checked that it is fine to do pregnant as although it can be a little bumpy, it is not a rough ride (I have been told)

When it comes to the zip lines and adventure park etc I will be doing that with my older kids while my wife stays with my youngest.

Archived