Curious, magic 2/27/13 anyone else deathly ill?

Txcruzer46

I noticed the crew didnt really care. My husband cancelled his golf before we couldn't dock in Cozumel, They were not sympathetic. One of the crew members in the photo shop, asked how we were enjoying the cruise and I said it was great until I got sick and she said something to the effect that several passengers and crew were, but she realized what she was saying and stopped. Our steward said Oh no, he didnt know of anyone else being sick. So they didn't want to talk about it. But it was horrible. Thank god, it was a one night thing.

I think if you brought this Deathly Illness situation to the attention of the on board medical staff it might have been addressed differently than by the photo shop attendant and a cabin steward.

It was brought to their attention, their assumption is eating and drinking to much. Which I did neither, but since there apparently was no known threat of noro, they offered ginger ale and crackers. Not related to what I felt was a bout of yes,deathly ( just word to express the amount of misery I felt, worried that if another family member got it, someone was gonna have to use the balcony).

On the last evening of the cruise in the lido Buffett, I saw the doctor getting dinner with his wife. A lady turned and bumped into him, loudly said "I'm very sorry" to him. He turned and said je*** chr*** , rolled his eyes and said pigs. I don't feel as those he was going to be anymore compassionate to passengers that felt ill..

I was on that cruise also and woke up Monday and threw up a lot and was out of it all day. Then the next morning I was fine. Not sure what it was:confused:

Well if you don't mind sharing your thoughts, we can see if anything matches.

You did have it before I did, which maybe says it was hanging around and maybe not food. But I was better the next day as well.

We had dinner in southern lights each night. I never used a public bathroom. We were in grand cayman, but we didn't eat anything there. We ate all of our lunches at the deli or the hamburger bar. We were on deck 2, mid ship.

I really thought food poisoning the way, sorry no nice way to say it, there was nothing left in my stomach or colon. And it ended once all was out. Cozumel day I stayed in bed. And was fine the next day.

I suppose it may happen on every cruise and with 3700 people it would be hard to know. I'm sure many people get sick from eating and drink to much.

But I am a good hand washer and only have one drink before dinner. My daughter got sick the last night, but just a couple of times and she's prone to seasickness and it was kind of rough seas. Although she may have a stronger immune system and it didnt hit her as bad. But I assumed it was the sea.

I'm not sure, but I know someone in the Cabin next to us was just as sick the same night.

I'm just curious as well that was cruise number 12 for us and we have never experienced anything like that. And my poor husband and 1 daughter who were afraid to eat just waiting for it.

On the bright side my husband went to the gym everyday, he lost 1 pound. I lost 5. Haha

But a cruise is what you make it! Sorry you were ill...

Thank you. I agree you must make it good and a cruise is always a fun enjoyable time. Just a couple of things and being sick jaded my view of it.

Just wondering, I've seen a few times people posted about cutbacks and I really didnt notice previous to the Magic. And even without reading the comments my husband mentioned first, some things that he thought we not the same level of service. We are not needy passengers we appreciate leaving the bed unmade for a week and having it done for us. and ice. That's really the most we want.

It just seemed there were not enough service people in many areas.

Have you experienced that?

Last July on The Freedom i got sick shortly after having lobster. I know it was the lobster because i had a fishy taste after i ate it that lingered. I had nothing to drink at dinner and felt somewhat better after getting sick. I called the service desk and they asked if i needed any medical attention. I told them no that i just wanted to report it. Seemed as if they could not care less. You have to assume that with all the food that is prepared onboard that every once in a while someone is going to get sick from eating something not prepared correctly of just plain bad. I will sail again and i will eat the lobster. But i think i'll smell it real good first. You know it is from food when you start feeling better shortly after up-chucking it. :eek:

Last July on The Freedom i got sick shortly after having lobster. I know it was the lobster because i had a fishy taste after i ate it that lingered. I had nothing to drink at dinner and felt somewhat better after getting sick. I called the service desk and they asked if i needed any medical attention. I told them no that i just wanted to report it. Seemed as if they could not care less. You have to assume that with all the food that is prepared onboard that every once in a while someone is going to get sick from eating something not prepared correctly of just plain bad. I will sail again and i will eat the lobster. But i think i'll smell it real good first. You know it is from food when you start feeling better shortly after up-chucking it. :eek:

Thank you, the one lady that asked if I wanted my hand held upset me. They should care a little bit. We don't know what's wrong, you're miserable, it makes the people your with miserable and you just want them to act as though they Acknowledge something's not right. They could even just say if you don't feel better soon, please let us know. I realize they don't want to admit to anything especially if its noro or food poisoning. But I wouldn't complain if I knew I'd been exposed to the flu before I left or drank to much.

I seriously think you just had a case of the stomach bug. Could have picked it up anywhere. It's going around like crazy. And now that you mention your daughter was a bit sick too, I'd be willing to be that that was what it was.

Glad you're feeling better though!!

On the Sensation in November I drank pineapple juice along with two of my kids and we were all done for very shortly after. It was not good. I mentioned it to the Dining room just as a FYI and she told me they dont serve pineapple juice at breakfast. Only at the bar. :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused::eek::eek:

I got deathly ill with the norovirus the day we returned from our trip on the Carnival Magic. It was not a normal stomach bug. I missed work for 4 days. I was vomitting with diahrea, God awful stomach cramps and aches and pains. I would not wish this on anyone. I heard afterwards that several other passengers were ill as well. Despite not having a good time on our trip as a first time cruiser on the Carnival this was the cherry on top of the cake. No more cruises for me.

Anyone else get this ill?

As a previous poster posted this is a nationwide outbreak of some virus. We had a neighborhood part with over 100 peopole there and 2 days later 3/4 of them had it. And yes it feel like it is a death sentence. it is awful but it is quick. Anytime you have alot of people in a close space virus' get spread. Sorry it was on your cruise. At least it wasn't a 3 or 4 day virus.

All of you ate at the same place on the same day and got the same horrible illness?

I'm with the rest of these folks! Terribly rotten luck for all of you to catch that exact same national virus going around that is totally unrelated to Carnival or any of it's ships or subsidiaries.

What are the chances?

Yep, not just on Carnival either. A co-worker of mine's nephew was on a cruise the week of Presidents week (Royal Caribbean out of Baltimore -not sure the name of the ship). He was home one day and got horribly sick and was taken to the ER.

Sounds like the same thing.

I work in the health field and i absolutly know i got sick from a bad lobster tail on The Freedom. It happens. Of course lots of people were eating lobster that night. No clue if anyone else got sick. I'll cruise this July again on Carnival and i will eat the lobster. But like i posted before. I am going to give it a good look over and a good sniff first. Seafood should not smell fishy. But it is hard to tell once it is cooked.

We were on the following sailing (March 3rd) of Magic. On Tuesday in stateroom we received a letter describing Noro symptoms and precautions. During the week there were a couple of red biohazard trashbags seen in the hallway (Deck 10). On Saturday afternoon my daughter started vomiting, lasted only about 12 hours, and my son had it the next day even milder. Not fun for travelling home, but it could have been worse.

We were on the following sailing (March 3rd) of Magic. On Tuesday in stateroom we received a letter describing Noro symptoms and precautions. During the week there were a couple of red biohazard trashbags seen in the hallway (Deck 10). On Saturday afternoon my daughter started vomiting, lasted only about 12 hours, and my son had it the next day even milder. Not fun for travelling home, but it could have been worse.

I'm sorry you guys experienced that on your vacation. It really made me not want to cruise for awhile.

I know you can't control the "bugs" people bring with them, but I did find it interesting that only 2 of the 4 of us got sick. It was like i literally picked it up somewhere ,my daughter drank out of my water bottle the night I got sick and one of the girls she meet at the club got sick the day after she did.

I'm glad carnival finally acknowledged something was going around. Maybe they stepped up their disinfecting. I don't know how they control it, but it was the first time we've experienced that and my husband made fun of me because I'm the hand washer and too much sanitizer person.

We were on this cruise. There were four of us in the same cabin. We also were in the Southern lights dining room. None of us got sick. Sorry that others did.:(

It seems like we just picked it up, not food poisoning. Did you see the post from the person that was on the next cruise, they got a letter about noro on Tuesday.

All of you ate at the same place on the same day and got the same horrible illness?

I'm with the rest of these folks! Terribly rotten luck for all of you to catch that exact same national virus going around that is totally unrelated to Carnival or any of it's ships or subsidiaries.

What are the chances?

The passengers on the next Magic cruise , got a letter on Tuesday, 2 days after we got off, explaining noro virus and precautions to take.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Magic Mach 3-10, I got sick the second night. I thought it was something I had ate until I asked other people on the ship and everyone I asked said: either someone with them or someone else was sick they had met on board was sick. I spent 4 days in ICU and 1 in a regular hospital room when I returned home. If I had been notified of the virus on board I would have elected to sit the cruise out. I would have just taken a loss on the passage and stayed home. My daughter, who was traveling with me, got sick the last night. I thought I was going to die. I spent 6 days from hell onboard. I had 2 shots for vomiting., and pills for diareaha and vomiting. I informed the sick bay I was dehydrated and needed medical atention sa: IV . I was told they were not set up for that....because of the dehydration my electrolytes were all but gone which caused my heart to go into afib. My heart rate when I got back home was 212.. Carnival don't care if you live or die as long as you pay for your trip. This was my 6th cruise.. never again.

See 1 drink was the problem. We all need to make sure things are disinfected in order to prevent illness. Alcohol is common disinfectant. That is why I believe one should disinfect themselves from the inside out, with a collection of spirits. :D

My thoughts exactly, A virus can not live with enough alcohol. :D

I was on the Magic Mach 3-10, I got sick the second night. I thought it was something I had ate until I asked other people on the ship and everyone I asked said: either someone with them or someone else was sick they had met on board was sick. I spent 4 days in ICU and 1 in a regular hospital room when I returned home. If I had been notified of the virus on board I would have elected to sit the cruise out. I would have just taken a loss on the passage and stayed home. My daughter, who was traveling with me, got sick the last night. I thought I was going to die. I spent 6 days from hell onboard. I had 2 shots for vomiting., and pills for diareaha and vomiting. I informed the sick bay I was dehydrated and needed medical atention sa: IV . I was told they were not set up for that....because of the dehydration my electrolytes were all but gone which caused my heart to go into afib. My heart rate when I got back home was 212.. Carnival don't care if you live or die as long as you pay for your trip. This was my 6th cruise.. never again.

Wow, Im so sorry you had to go through all that. Thats a horrible way to have a vacation. How can they not be set up to take care of dehyration. I continue to be disappointed with the number of people who suffered on that ship. We picked it up somewhere and regardless of what others have said, the symptoms are the same and its somewhere on that boat, confirmed by a letter passed out on thelast sailing of March. I am a handwasher and I carried hand sanitizer everywhere so i tried to careful. I did address this on the comment card in detail along with others stories, i guess they dont read them. to bad, we wont be cruising on carnival for a long long time,

Hand sanitizer does virtually nothing to prevent Noro, flu and other virus transmissions... It's antibacterial, but viruses don't care! Hand washing with hot water and any soap is more effective in protecting yourself from a virus, but in close quarters like a cruise, you'll have too many vectors. It's pointless to blame a Noro outbreak on the cruise line.

~Sinusoid~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, Im so sorry you had to go through all that. Thats a horrible way to have a vacation. How can they not be set up to take care of dehyration. I continue to be disappointed with the number of people who suffered on that ship. We picked it up somewhere and regardless of what others have said, the symptoms are the same and its somewhere on that boat, confirmed by a letter passed out on thelast sailing of March. I am a handwasher and I carried hand sanitizer everywhere so i tried to careful. I did address this on the comment card in detail along with others stories, i guess they dont read them. to bad, we wont be cruising on carnival for a long long time,

Sorry all of ya'll got sick! We were on the March 3-10 cruise (our wedding cruise) and got the letter that you were talking about previously, but we never got sick. Thank goodness!!

See 1 drink was the problem. We all need to make sure things are disinfected in order to prevent illness. Alcohol is common disinfectant. That is why I believe one should disinfect themselves from the inside out, with a collection of spirits. :D

On the Serenade of the Seas in 2006 it took us a long time to get on the ship because of a noro outbreak the week before. The CDC was called in and everything smelled like bleach for a few days. The Crew had to following all of the proper procedures for containment...We were talking to our bartender, Joanna from Trinidad in the Schooner Bar, while our roll call group enjoyed our adult beverages before our cabin crawl and told her how much we appreciated how hard the CREW had to work when an outbreak happened and if she could give us any tips on trying to avoid the "bug".

She said, when you don't have a cruise that many people drink, that's when you have more sickness. And if people drink enough it doesn't seem to become a "sick" ship. She said there seems to be a correlation on sterilizing your insides to killing all the bad germs.

So you now have a recommendation for a medicinal DOD! From a woman who makes a killer Chocolate Martini.

BTW from our roll call of about 40 people, no one got sick. However, DH says that is one of few times in our 20 year marriage, he has ever seen me tipsy.

Archived