GAPearl's Second Valor Review- Solo Southern Caribbean Cruise! (2/24/13)

gapearl

One of the posters here, Leo's Rule, had mentioned in her southern Caribbean review some rum punch in Barbados called Cockspur. Once at duty free, I found a bottle of it for $8, as well as two other bottles of local rum for $5. When I passed through security, they said make sure you go check it at the table. I said ok and went straight to my room. Believe me when I say they're not paying attention. If they were, what I was planning to do was to turn over one bottle and take the other two to my room. Yay me, I ended up with this!

0577d594-d586-48de-a247-3ee490d20b92_zps9ed6fca1.jpg

So after they search your bags they tell you to hand it over somewhere else? That just seems like a silly system. This is good to know, I was trying to figure out how to sneak some alchy on this cruise in a few weeks :) This, and the trick about leaving the ship in PR and grabbing more wine at the port is GOLD! Hopefully with this knowledge my bar tab won't put me into debt this time...:)

We did this itinerary a few years ago and it was THE BEST cruise we ever did. We spent a couple days pre cruise in Puerto Rico in the Condado area and also loved old San Juan. It reminded us a lot of the French Quarter with the architecture and wrought iron balconies. I'm hoping to do it again next year. Your review and pics are amazing!

For an hour and a half, he would take me to swim with the turtles and then snorkel at a shipwreck. I got my own private tour for $20! My guide’s name was Neville.

Neville drove me about 10 minutes to the other side of the beach where a couple of other small boats were parked.

Were there other people snorkeling from the other boats with you? It looks like you were the only one there snorkeling! One thing I hear often in reviews about booking through a tour for snorkeling with the turtles is that it is too crowded, you get kicked by others, etc. I'm guessing you didn't have that problem with the private snorkeling tour with Neville? I was thinking about booking a private snorkeling tour, but I think I will look for him instead.

A couple more shots before leaving.

When I passed through security, they said make sure you go check it at the table. I said ok and went straight to my room. Believe me when I say they're not paying attention. If they were, what I was planning to do was to turn over one bottle and take the other two to my room.

Ssshhhhhh! We don't want Carnival to know our method! ;) I found this out quite by accident coming from Tortola once. I had too many rum punches and forgot to "check in" my bottle of rum after being scanned. I was quite delighted to figure out that it was with me once I returned to my room.

GaPearl, what did you think about those rums you bought? Which was your favorite or one you recommend? I'm interested in getting rums or liquores that are products we can't get here in the U.S. (or at least here in GA). Any suggestions are appreciated! Oh, and I LOOOOVE your pink dress (I think it was pink...it's the last one you posted). Beautiful and very figure flattering. :D

Can't wait to read more! We only have about three weeks!

Love love love Miami Vice, make them all the time at home. Make em just as good & even stronger the way I like em, but i must admit they do taste much better on Lido....must have something to do with the sea air;)

Something about having a drink on the ship always makes them taste better. lol

My last cruise director (Tex) said "What happens on a Carnival ship....ends up on youtube 3 days later."

I am loving your reviews. While waiting for more from this one I actually went back and read all your other ones. Fabulous! They just all sound like SO much fun. I keep telling my husband "we should go to the disco and dance until 3 a.m." and he tells me "uh, you go to bed at 10 and I don't dance- I don't think that is going to happen" I guess we all cruise in our own way- haha

UH-OH!!! I'm in trouble then!!! :eek:

LOL at your conversation with hubby. Drag him in there one night for an hour, just for the heck of it. :D

Good review. Enjoyed your others also. I have to learn to pack like you. I like to take extras you never know what may happen or who you may meet. Keep up the excitement.

Thanks for reading! I'm definitely not a light packer. I love having plenty of choices. :)

Thanks for the report!

You're welcome, thanks for stopping by!

<3 LOVE these pics of the turtles!! :)

Thanks! I took so many. It was hard to narrow them down to those few.

We were at the Boatyard at the same time :D I have been scanning pics looking for myself and DH!!

As many pictures as I took, you might have photo bombed one or two! :D

HAHA!

You are bbbbad to the bone! :D BAD TO THE BONE :p

Thanks! :D

I've been thinking the same! Loving the wardrobe!

Thanks you!

I hope my December cruise is as much fun as yours!!

I'm sure it will be! Have a great time!

Sad' date=' I can't remember which post had the picture of the rum, but I got all of those...but because the actual rum was a gift...I couldn't remember the name was Mount Gay. I'm glad you got that one too.

Oh...and your swimsuit was cute! I wish posting pictures here wasn't such a pain for me...I take photos with every man I see...good-looking ones. :D In the words of R. Kelly, "I'm a flirt" :p;):D[/quote']

The rum was really strong. 40% alcohol by volume, yikes!

Here I am reporting for reading duty! Do you have any pictures of the refurbished areas? I am anxious to see the improvements. More,more,more!!!

I didn't really take any ship pictures this time around since I took so many on the last Valor cruise. I'm not sure what was refurbished, though. The future cruise desk is still there, but no one works it any more. What was once the sushi bar on deck 5 is now the taste bar. I meant to get a picture of it but never did.

You've done it now!!!!! I have loved your review soooooo much I just booked the Valor!!!! Can't wait for July to do this itinerary! Thanks- your information has been great!!!

You booked it 2 weeks before I'm on. The 28th has the best rate...and it's my birthday!!!!! But have fun on your cruise.

GaPearl, what did you think about those rums you bought? Which was your favorite or one you recommend? I'm interested in getting rums or liquores that are products we can't get here in the U.S. (or at least here in GA). Any suggestions are appreciated! Oh, and I LOOOOVE your pink dress (I think it was pink...it's the last one you posted). Beautiful and very figure flattering. :D

I know your question was for Kim, but I had the regular rum; it was strong. You can buy it from Spec's...or at least you can here in Houston, but the alcohol content is much weaker.

I still haven't opened my bottle of the Rum Punch, but Kim said she enjoyed hers.

Ms. GAPearl' date=' you have us all hooked on your style of writing. You interject humor in your posts and you make us feel like we were right there with you. So, try and forgive me when I act like a fiend. LOL

When I was on the Victory, no one came to our table with a different Shot of the day. I wish someone had done so. Sexy in the sky looked like it tasted good. Was it good?

As for the Mexican Buffet, if it was the same like on Victory, there were a bunch of sweets, some fruit, cheese, and ice carvings, and then there was the Mexican food. I can't tell you what they were serving because I too was stuffed from dinner and I'm not fond of Mexican food...and yes, I live in Texas.

Wow, the CD and ACD and Entertainment Staff had a ball. Now I really can't wait to do this itinerary again. And thanks for sharing information about the Boatyard. I wasn't going to get off the ship in Barbados because I wasn't that impressed...although the beaches are beautiful. I just have to remember the guys name that you used. You can't beat $20!

OH, and you aren't lying about the cab situation...that was nucking futs!!! :eek:

Keep up the excellent work. I'll log in later tonight to see if you've posted anything more.

Oh...and I have a correction to make...I did get the Cockspur Rum Punch but the other rum was the Morgan's Bay (or whatever the name is...short term memory is failing me right now:p), but I got the dark rum. But it was a gift for a friend. I didn't try the Cockspur rum.

Glad you were able to sneak yours on...I"m too chicken to do it...but if they let me on with some Nuvo!!!! It will be on and popping!:D[/quote']

This was the first time I've seen them come around with a shot each night. I guess another way to make more money. I've seen the Mexican buffet on other cruises, so I more or less know what's there. Definitely try The Boatyard in Barbados. You'll have a good time there.

We had such similar experiences on this cruise... I also went out with Neville to swim with the sea turtles! AND, I also got injured on his boat, due 100% to my clumsiness! I nicked my shin on the ladder when I was climbing in because I was juggling my camera, water wallet, and snorkel gear. Tomorrow will mark 3 months to the day since I was there, and I now have a permanent scar on my shin from that cut! I like to think of it as my Barbados souvenir ;) Neville was such a great guide for the hour, and how awesome was his rum punch?!?!!!

Neville was awesome. I told him I'd say good things about him and try to send some customers his way. I think I might have a small scar too when it heals. I'll have a souvenir just like yours. :)

So after they search your bags they tell you to hand it over somewhere else? That just seems like a silly system. This is good to know, I was trying to figure out how to sneak some alchy on this cruise in a few weeks :) This, and the trick about leaving the ship in PR and grabbing more wine at the port is GOLD! Hopefully with this knowledge my bar tab won't put me into debt this time...:)

Yes. When you pass through security, they will see your alcohol bottles on the xray. Then they tell you to hand it over to the table and you'll get it back the last night of the cruise. They're more focused on dinging people's sail and sign cards coming back onboard than watching you walk over to the table. In PR, it's contract security, not ship security. Thanks to my 2 bottles of wine, the rum and rum punch, my sail and sign bill was only at $81 by day 7 (I did prepaid gratuities so don't y'all flame me ;)), which allowed me to buy quite a few pictures.

We did this itinerary a few years ago and it was THE BEST cruise we ever did. We spent a couple days pre cruise in Puerto Rico in the Condado area and also loved old San Juan. It reminded us a lot of the French Quarter with the architecture and wrought iron balconies. I'm hoping to do it again next year. Your review and pics are amazing!

Thanks for reading! I never thought about Old San Juan and the French Quarter being similar, but I can see that.

Were there other people snorkeling from the other boats with you? It looks like you were the only one there snorkeling! One thing I hear often in reviews about booking through a tour for snorkeling with the turtles is that it is too crowded, you get kicked by others, etc. I'm guessing you didn't have that problem with the private snorkeling tour with Neville? I was thinking about booking a private snorkeling tour, but I think I will look for him instead.

Ssshhhhhh! We don't want Carnival to know our method! ;) I found this out quite by accident coming from Tortola once. I had too many rum punches and forgot to "check in" my bottle of rum after being scanned. I was quite delighted to figure out that it was with me once I returned to my room.

There were maybe 2 other small boats next to mine. I don't think there were more than 10 people in the water near me. I can see how doing one of those larger boat trips would result in tons of people in the water, like from the Jolly Roger.

The rums were strong. I would say if you can, wait and get a bottle of guavaberry rum from St. Maarten the last day for $20. I had no room left to bring it back, otherwise I would have bought a bottle. Sangster's Jamaican Rum Cream is another one to look out for. You can't buy it in the US, but it's sold widely throughout the Caribbean. It's like Bailey's Irish Creme, but stronger. Thanks for the compliment! :)

Wow! I can't believe how close you can get to them. We're doing a sea turtle excursion in St. Thomas on this itinerary :)

Is this at Carlisle bay? How is the sand there?

Yes, The Boatyard is at Carlisle Bay. The sand was very soft. Not many rocks or shells or anything. Where can you swim with the turtles in St. Thomas?

You've done it now!!!!! I have loved your review soooooo much I just booked the Valor!!!! Can't wait for July to do this itinerary! Thanks- your information has been great!!!

Get outta here! :D WOW, HAVE FUN!!!!! :D:D:D

You booked it 2 weeks before I'm on. The 28th has the best rate...and it's my birthday!!!!! But have fun on your cruise.

I know your question was for Kim' date=' but I had the regular rum; it was strong. You can buy it from Spec's...or at least you can here in Houston, but the alcohol content is much weaker.

I still haven't opened my bottle of the Rum Punch, but Kim said she enjoyed hers.[/quote']

It was good, but I added a (big) splash of the other rums, as well as a little bit of the guava juice from the breakfast buffet to make it even better.

Thanks for your input about the favorites! Oh, and I figured out the name of the restaurant we are going to....and I read back to your 2nd page and saw that it is the restaurant you tried to find, but couldn't. "Punto de Vista" I read it's down by where you board the ship and right across the street from the free trolley stop. Hoping I can find it!

Okay, your next two ports are the ones I'm looking forward to the MOST! Can't wait to read your reviews on these! You really should write a column here for the AJC. You'd be fantastic! Or even start with a smaller local paper in some of our smaller towns like Roswell, Smyrna, etc. You do have a gift for writing and keeping people entertained.:D

(I did prepaid gratuities so don't y'all flame me ;)).

Why would someone flame you for prepaying grats? That's the way to go, IMO.

The rums were strong. I would say if you can, wait and get a bottle of guavaberry rum from St. Maarten the last day for $20.

You liked it? I tried some at the bar at Maho Beach and wasn't that impressed, but maybe my drink was watered down. That's the only thing I hate about frozen drinks at times.

I just wanted to buy a bottle because it was so pretty. Maybe I'll get some this year. They didn't want to bargain for the rum.

GAPearl, your post on the Carnival Valor was so freaking awesome. Love the pics, love the details. We're sailing on the Valor on March 23rd - we are psyched! Thanks for taking the time to help so many people find so much info.

Yes, The Boatyard is at Carlisle Bay. The sand was very soft. Not many rocks or shells or anything. Where can you swim with the turtles in St. Thomas?

We're doing Fury Tours. It's a half day tour I found on Trip Advisor. It had super good reviews, and sounded less crowded than the carnival tours in Barbados. I spoke to the guy that runs it on the phone and he sounded very pleasant. We sail out to Buck Island Marine Sanctuary, and he provides free rum punch as well :) I'm hoping the Trip Advisor reviews don't lead me astray...:)

Why would someone flame you for prepaying grats? That's the way to go' date=' IMO.

You liked it? I tried some at the bar at Maho Beach and wasn't that impressed, but maybe my drink was watered down. That's the only thing I hate about frozen drinks at times.

I just wanted to buy a bottle because it was so pretty. Maybe I'll get some this year. They didn't want to bargain for the rum.[/quote']

No, I meant don't flame me when I said my bill was $81. I didn't want anyone thinking I didn't pay tips at all, LOL. I tried the guavaberry colada and it was soooooooooo good! I might see if I can order some online.

Thanks for your input about the favorites! Oh, and I figured out the name of the restaurant we are going to....and I read back to your 2nd page and saw that it is the restaurant you tried to find, but couldn't. "Punto de Vista" I read it's down by where you board the ship and right across the street from the free trolley stop. Hoping I can find it!

Okay, your next two ports are the ones I'm looking forward to the MOST! Can't wait to read your reviews on these! You really should write a column here for the AJC. You'd be fantastic! Or even start with a smaller local paper in some of our smaller towns like Roswell, Smyrna, etc. You do have a gift for writing and keeping people entertained.:D

I actually saw Punto de Vista when I was getting off the ship, right across the street. I'll be back in Puerto Rico later this month and think I might go eat there, now that I know where it is. I think that's the place with 2 for 1 mojitos all day. :D

I'd love to write for one of the local papers. Maybe one of them will read this and hire me. ;)

GAPearl, your post on the Carnival Valor was so freaking awesome. Love the pics, love the details. We're sailing on the Valor on March 23rd - we are psyched! Thanks for taking the time to help so many people find so much info.

Thanks for the feedback! Have an awesome time on your trip! :D

We're doing Fury Tours. It's a half day tour I found on Trip Advisor. It had super good reviews, and sounded less crowded than the carnival tours in Barbados. I spoke to the guy that runs it on the phone and he sounded very pleasant. We sail out to Buck Island Marine Sanctuary, and he provides free rum punch as well :) I'm hoping the Trip Advisor reviews don't lead me astray...:)

I doubt it. Trip Advisor is really good. I write reviews on there as well. I've found a lot of my tours on there. I never book through the cruise line any more. Too expensive and too crowded.

I actually saw Punto de Vista when I was getting off the ship, right across the street. I'll be back in Puerto Rico later this month and think I might go eat there, now that I know where it is. I think that's the place with 2 for 1 mojitos all day. :D

The food here is awesome! I couldnt decide, had 2 lunch specials and 4 mojitos and was out the door for $22 bucks. And again, I stumbled on it on way back to ship. Found out after I was back that it was one of the top rated places in OSJ. So yummy! My mouth is craving it now

GAPearl...I, too, feel like "friends" after reading both of your reviews. I have to agree with you about ship tours...did one on our very first cruise...didn't know any better (and I didn't know about Cruise Critic then...now I'm addicted). It was fun and not too crowded....they added a 2nd boat since it was such a popular excursion, so maybe I got on the less crowded boat.

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you....hope to do this itinerary some day, and I'm sending myself email notes about SJ and now Barbados. I LOVE SEA TURTLES and swimming so close without all those other people around would be AWESOME.

Neville probably saw you and thought, I sure WILL take you out of by yourself! Ohh Baby! :D:D:D

Waiting anxiously for the next installment. Thanks

48bbf52e-993a-47f6-b618-6fee2cecf710_zpsf68ce829.jpg

3ab98ab8-3b53-46b5-9122-9f9a61335ed2_zpsf162a96f.jpg

Tonight was the mega deck party. It started at 10:15 pm and was in full swing by the time I got there at 10:30. They did the usual line dances. I didn't join in this time, but just sat back and watched while drinking a huge glass of rum punch, compliments of Barbados. :) The Mexican buffet was tonight as well. I never ventured over there to see what they had. I was so stuffed from dinner, I wouldn't have been able to eat anything else anyways.

Conga line coming to an end.

70b5d68e-4244-4068-b469-b4f5c79f1d66_zps164fdd1e.jpg

4c5c59c4-f31e-4e6c-92f5-4d4122949be5_zpsece94285.jpg

GAPEARL... I'm going to have to take a break from your review... it's making me more anxious to go on the cruise... I even forgot I'm actually getting married the day before we set sail lol

GAPearl, THANK YOU for such an awesome review! Can you please come on my trip in June so we can party together?? LOL

There's so much fun to be had cruising and I can't wait to get back to it! I'm trying to convince my husband that he'll like it. Traveling with my daughters is a lot of fun, but not the same as a spouse!