Dubrovnik With A Scooter

pvmkmyer

Does anyone know the accessibility of Dubrovnik? Specifically, is there any way up to the wall that surrounds the old city without having to do the stairs? Any and all suggestions for what to do in this port will be appreciated.

My wife uses a folding scooter for distance. She is ambulatory and can do a few stairs, if necessary.

Thanks.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil

We have just been to this port & although we do not use a wheel chair I can offer a little advice.

2 ships were docked in the cove, we were right round the other side a 3 mile walk back to the ship, but it was very scienic and we saw a little of the way of life.

Our courtesy bus dropped us right outside the wall, if you are lucky enough to be docked in the bay the tenders take you to just outside the wall, litterally just a stones through away.

I saw two entrances to the wall and both had many, steep steps, which are not very wide steps, not even the length of your shoe. I saw no wheel chairs or pushchairs up there. However the views are spectacular.

The city within the wall was modern large brick paths & I would imagine a scooter would be fine. Some of the streets are very narrow and it does get very busy, try & get there as early as possible. By the time we came down off the wall (about 11.30am) it was very busy within the city, but my sister had advised us to do the wall first, as it gets very hot, and the streets are in the shade so it was nice & cool.

Sorry I'm not really much help with not being a wheel chair user but have a great time and it truly is beautiful.

Chez

:-)

My wife who is confined to a wheelchair visited Dubrovnik in May of 2004. The busses they had at the dock weren't handicapped accessible but my wife can transfer from her chair to a normal car and we took a taxi into town. We asked the taxi driver what was the easiest way to get into town with a wheelchair and he took us to an entrance that had no steps at all. I'm sure if you ask either the bus driver or a taxi driver and they will know it (sorry but I can't remember the name and don't want to give you the wrong one). There is a little up and down slope to the entrance but it's still very easy to get inside the wall. Once inside it's pretty easy, though a couple of areas do have a step to get over. Hope that helps and by all means enjoy Dubrovnik, they have some of the friendliest people in all of Europe.

Dan

As with most ports, even in the USA, I recommend you take a manual wheelchair and not a scooter for this port. Curb cuts in old historic areas (even if restored such as this one) rarely have curb cuts, often require 1-2 steps, and rarely are accessible to a scooter. A lightweight manual wheelchair can be bumped up a step or two (or three or four....) or over a curb much more easily than a scooter, and is much easier to get in and out of a cab (be sure to get one with quick-releast hub wheels).

We were in Dubrovnik 2 yrs ago. Beautifyl city. I am in a wheelchair and had no problem with the city. There is a "back gate" with no stairs. Just ask any cab driver. Inside the city is cobblestone and the only realy bad stairs are going into the church. Most "stairs" are just one step up and easily accessible. Be sure and go to the open market. They have beautiful lace shawls and tablecloths, etc. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who posted. I'm sure we'll do fine with the electric scooter, since my adult daughters will also be with us. My wife is used to getting on and off the scooter to do a few stairs. I'm looking forward to the trip next year.

Phil

Archived