Help with Seville

margbem

We are looking at booking a final trip on the Legend next year. The cruise we are interested in is the Lisbon to Monte Carlo trip on September 24th. It overnights in Seville then has an afternoon cruising the river. Does this mean that the ship actually sails up the river and docks in the middle of the city? Anyone done this trip who can advise, please?

I was aboard the Pride and we sailed up the river to Seville. Capt. Anderssen was the Master and indeed he avoided hitting the sides of the Pride when we went thru' the locks. :eek: We docked almost in the middle of town! This sailing is not-to-be-missed!:D

Seville is a most charming city ~~you will enjoy overnighting.

Have a wonderful cruise ~I would love to book it again.

Martita B.

Yes it does sail right up into the heart of Seville, we did it on the Legend a few years ago and loved it. We are also considering this same cruise like you on the 23rd Sept 2014 only we would probably stay on until Athens because we would love to do the Corinth Canal again as well, the trouble is it makes it rather expensive!!

• 4 months later...
Yes it does sail right up into the heart of Seville, we did it on the Legend a few years ago and loved it. We are also considering this same cruise like you on the 23rd Sept 2014 only we would probably stay on until Athens because we would love to do the Corinth Canal again as well, the trouble is it makes it rather expensive!!
Just saw you on this thread. Yes you should stay on to do the Corinth Canal and maybe we should do Sevilla again, and of course Ephesus is a bonus! Stay tuned for decisions!!

We just booked this as the second leg of London to Lisbon and Lisbon to Monte Carlo -- the overnight in Sevilla was one of the things that caught our attention. As I said on another post we should get a bunch of Cc'ers to sign up for this cruise and give the little Legend a pre-farewell.

We just booked this as the second leg of London to Lisbon and Lisbon to Monte Carlo -- the overnight in Sevilla was one of the things that caught our attention. As I said on another post we should get a bunch of Cc'ers to sign up for this cruise and give the little Legend a pre-farewell.

Yes, we loved Sevilla and did not have enough time...going right into the center and being at the Plaza Mayor etc. sounds great. Malagna I didn't love but maybe something to do there that I don't know. Can't beat Barcelona, so lots of good stuff on that one and we have not been to Marseilles either. Stay tuned and keep especially the toers crossed!!

They might give a discount to do ten more days but if it is booking fast they might not care about a discount. I think we have a "balcony". Can't remember. I just have to make a good case for him to do it. Fortunately he doesn't read CC!!

Yes, we loved Sevilla and did not have enough time...going right into the center and being at the Plaza Mayor etc. sounds great. Malagna I didn't love but maybe something to do there that I don't know. Can't beat Barcelona, so lots of good stuff on that one and we have not been to Marseilles either. Stay tuned and keep especially the toers crossed!!

Have been to Marseilles once before and loved the food and the wine, so we will certainly be going ashore for a plate of Moules and Frites and perhaps a bottle of Provençale Rose.

Have been to Marseilles once before and loved the food and the wine, so we will certainly be going ashore for a plate of Moules and Frites and perhaps a bottle of Provençale Rose.
My husband does like food and wine...would want to see a little of Marseilles too! I will tell him a lot of "foodies" on this leg!!!!

Prunella,

Few things better than a good rose! Have you ever tried Bieler Pere et Fils? It is our house rose.

No I haven't and usually I am not a big rose drinker, I prefer a dry white, but we are coming to Arizona in October (Peoria, Phoenix) and I am sure our first trip when we arrived and recover from jetlag, will be to Bevmo,to stock up, so will look out for it.

Chairsin when I told my husband the cruise before us started in London he was very interested, but unfortunately time, housesitters for the dogs and the purse doesn't allow!

Prunella,

Few things better than a good rose! Have you ever tried Bieler Pere et Fils? It is our house rose.

I'll look that one up but my husband is a Bordeaux and Cab drinker. I like reds too but a 4:00 or lunch good chardonnay or white burgundy can please me too. Actually we like a lot as I now think about it. Our wine is either medicinal or celebratory and we drink more medicinal than celebratory, ha! Looks like only two nondescript ports, one in Portugal and one in France that look like beach spots you might want to wander around and try the seafood. Sometimes we just prefer to come back to ship. So many choices, so little time! I have already put the bee in his bonnet and he said he would take a look.

Prunella,

I look forward to meeting you on board the Legend. You have likely spent more time Lisbon than have we but if you are looking for a wonderful little restaurant for dinner the night before you embark we had a fabulous(and reasonably priced) dinner at Claras em Castelo when we were there last fall with some other CC'ers we met on board. Anyway, sorry you can't join us for the first leg.

Are you coming to Arizona for the winter or just a short visit? Sounds like you have spent time there before. BevMo does not carry Bieler but AJ's FInd Foods and Whole Foods usually do. Bieler is very dry but full flavored with mostly Syrah and Grenache (and a little Cinsault).We usually enjoy a glass of rose( or two) at lunch on Seabourn -- but not that terrible JP Chenet. At home we often drink it with dinner in the summer when we want something refreshing but fuller than most whites to stand up to food when it is too hot to drink red wine.

Nancy,

I think that just about the only wine I don't like is bad wine! :D

Chairsin and Prunella: I will write down the restaurant you recommended as I am sure we will come in a day or two early and we loved most all the restaurants where we ate and we went to some port tastings that were wonderful if we are lucky enough to start from Lisbon.

Chairsin, there is another port in Portugal we go to Portimao I think, pardon spelling, haven't looked back at itinerary. It didn't look like much. It's right after Lisbon.

I so love "destination ship" that some days I just love sightseeing a little and then back to my cozy home. The Middle East trip with some of the sightseeing almost did us in BUT we weren't going to miss a thing...and with all the trouble there now I'm glad we did see it all.

In TN we can't buy wine except in liquor stores. Very controlled.

Chairsin, thanks for the restaurant recommendation in Lisbon, not sure what our plans are, we haven't thought flights etc yet, we will probably fly in on the day, as it's an early flight from LHR. But that could all change.

Yes we come to Az quite often and last year we rented a house for a month and will do so again this year. We love it and we have some very dear friends who live there, so rather than inflict ourselves on them we prefer to do our own thing and spend most evenings with them, eating and drinking!! I know where AJ's is, so will have to persuade someone to drive with me in case I get lost. The wine we drank rather a lot of last year was a red called ménage a trois...we enjoyed that very much! By the way our Az friends we met on a Seabourn cruise 10 years ago and have visited and cruised with them ever since, in fact on the Sojourn crossing this April, the chef made us a special dinner to celebrate our friendship, typical Seabourn always that little bit extra.

Nancy I hope your husband agrees to the Lisbon to Monte Carlo portion of the cruise.

Sailors visiting Sevilla be sure and stop by the Hotel Alfonso XIII for a cocktail or meal ~it's a gorgeous hotel in the historic area.

MB

Martita, where was that restaurant in Malagna that everyone had dinner at before the cruise? You recommended it, not far from your hotel? Any other ideas for a day there, have been there three other times? You always have good ideas.

Martha,

You always have great suggestions -- we will jot that down.

Nancy,

Actually we were in Portimao in early Dec and there is a charming little seaside village away from all of the expat condos on the beach. It was the off season though and many of the little waterfront restaurants featuring their famous fried sardines were not open for lunch.So we are looking forward to going back there.

Martha,

You always have great suggestions -- we will jot that down.

Nancy,

Actually we were in Portimao in early Dec and there is a charming little seaside village away from all of the expat condos on the beach. It was the off season though and many of the little waterfront restaurants featuring their famous fried sardines were not open for lunch.So we are looking forward to going back there.

Yes I did see the fried sardines and made a mental note to do that!. Good to know about the village. Maybe we can check it out together. I am working on it!

In Lisboa a must is to have coffee at Cafe a Brasileira on Rue Garrett St. Also don't miss the fabulous pastry at Pasteis de Belam ~~I would always stop by before boarding the ship, taking a huge sack for the Crew ~~

If anyone needs a private car/driver in Lisbon my good friend Miguel Conde is the best!:D I have his information.

Happy Cruisin'

Martita B

The Pasteis de Belem are a must! You can get delicious pasteis in most Portugese-speaking towns etc but these are particularly delicious and beautifully packaged - and the shop is amazing, very old and unchanged. And if you haven't seen the Jeronimos monastery it is very much worth a visit (almost next door to the Pasteis shop too!) We went (on a different cruise line) independently from the port to Belem on a tram, very easily, although it was a little crowded on the way there.

Archived