how was Singapore to Hong Kong, Feb. 2013 ??

AD607

We're booked on this cruise on the Nautica for next February. I followed the CC roll call for the 2013 cruise and found the pre-planning discussions helpful. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who was on the cruise about their experiences and recommendations, particularly for private tours. If you want contact me directly, my email address is: ayoung607 AT gmail DOT com. Thanks, Anne

I took this cruise in 2011

It was wonderful

Water can be rough at times

As for private tour recommendations

SMILE tours -- for Vietnam

Bangkok Day Tours -- for Thailand -- be sure to go to the Tiger Temple if you can to PLAY with the tigers -- incredible

Note: tour companies in this part of the world do take deposits in advance -- some have been "stiffed" by cruisers. These two companies are wonderful, very reliable and do have a proper refund policy. We tailored our tours to our interests -- they are totally flexible.

In Singapore just take the Hop on Hop off or taxis. Doable on your own.

No need for guide in HOng Kong either.

For Sihanoukville there are not many private guides. Those who took a tour to Phnom Penh regretted it -- long ride and not much to see. We used a private guide whose name I do not have but I will ask my travel companions if they still have the information. You have never seen such poverty. Bring flip flops and dollar bills to give to locals. When you are taken to the gorgeous beaches, you can get a 1 hour foot massage for $5!! We were then taken to a fabulous resort for the rich and famous and had lunch. The juxtaposition of wealth and poverty is akin to what you see in Rio -- only worse.

Check Chinese New Year for that year. You do not want to be in Hong Kong or China at that time. Everything closes down. Just Google Chinese New Year. We were there at Christmas on another cruise line. If the cruise includes Viet Nam, by February it is VERY HOT. It may be on the warm side, so I would Google the weather. My friend went in February this year and she was a little chilly in North Viet Nam and Hong Kong, but VERY HOT the rest of the time, so allow for that. I LOVE Hong Kong from the bottom of my Soul and I highly recomment Ben Lin of Marco Polo Travel. He has handled personal business for me since. His email is sales@marcopolotravel.biz. Hong Kong is a mass of humanity and always congested. He will help with everything. He worked day and night for us four days.

That date everything will be closed. Lots of businesses close for one week.

The places that make clothes--FABULOUS and shoes will be closed for one week.

I also suggest a guide in Singapore, even for four hours. You will learn a lot. And don't forget Raffles.

I got the name a contact of the guide for Siahnoukville

His name was Doe

Vandoe Ly

lyvandoe@yahoo.com

I do not know if he still gives tours.

I disagree with the post about everything being closed

It was a great time to be in that part of the world -- everything was decorated for the New Year and nothing was closed.

As we only had one day in Hong Kong, we found a private guide (A&K) invaluable. We were able to get to most of the main tourist attractions easily and comfortably.

In Singapore the Hop on Hop off bus was excellent.

We went in Jan 2011. It was hot until we got to Vietnam. I remember being in northern Vietnam and it was quite chilly.

We were on the cruise in question so I will try and answer a few questions/give advice.

First, go during TET is great unless you are a shopaholic. The decorations are wonderful and tourist things are open. Most shopping malls and big stores are open and only the tiny mom & pop type stores seem to be closed.

ROX409C.JPG

DSCN1037.JPG?gl=US

DSCN1039.JPG?gl=US

Oceania had Hong Kong tailors on board in Singapore for both men and women who took orders and then they were ready in Hong Kong. No guarantee they will be on your cruise.

We did mostly private tours. Ann Tours in Vietnam. Others will have to tell you who we used in Thailand and Cambodia. I cant remember names.

We did overnight in Hanoi which I would highly recommend. The roads are not good from the port and Hanoi at night was very interesting.

Be sure you have extra passport pictures as at the last minute the authorities demanded them for those staying overnight in Hanoi.

Be prepared for some anti-American propaganda in Vietnam. It is not overwhelming but there and form your own opinions.

DSCN1068.JPG?gl=US

We always found the people themselves warm and friendly. We heard over and over: "We never hated the Americans, only the American government"

I got a good book on the history of Vietnam and it was very helpful in understanding the bigger picture.

Be prepared for new experiences and don't discount anything. Some of the "groaners" in the tour description turned out to be the highlight of the day.

In general, after many cruises, we would say this was one of our favorites as there was so much we did not know about the region and every day we were surprised by something unexpected and interesting.

Bring flip flops and dollar bills to give to locals.

Laraine,

Do you hand out such gifts in exchange for a service, even if it is minor? I wouldn't want to teach somebody how to beg, but I am ok with a purchase.

This cruise sounds wonderful. It is on my bucket list; thanks for all the valuable information.

We took dollars for tips. They want new bills, something to do with counterfeiting.

We did not see any begging except for Cambodia, at the temples. Our guide said not to give them anything and watch your cameras, etc.

He said it is much better to give to an organization doing work with the children in Cambodia so the money is not spend on "bad things"

Laraine,

Do you hand out such gifts in exchange for a service, even if it is minor? I wouldn't want to teach somebody how to beg, but I am ok with a purchase.

This cruise sounds wonderful. It is on my bucket list; thanks for all the valuable information.

No

The dollar bills we gave to the many children who followed us around in Cambodia. It was so very sad. They have nothing. Many had no shoes. Had I known what to expect I would have brought a sack of rubber flip flops in all sizes to give away.

Archived