Embera Indian village ? for Richard of Panama

alliecruiser

We are taking the last cruise through the canal on May 4th. Is this considered the dry season? We have signed up for the Indian village, what village do you think we would go to? We are on Princess. Reason why I am asking is because I am hoping the crafts that you have shown here are available at all of the villages I sure would hate to miss out on their workmanship. I have started to read your book. Thank you for all of the help. Was hoping you would be a guest lecturer on my cruise:eek:

We are taking the last cruise through the canal on May 4th. Is this considered the dry season? We have signed up for the Indian village, what village do you think we would go to? We are on Princess. Reason why I am asking is because I am hoping the crafts that you have shown here are available at all of the villages I sure would hate to miss out on their workmanship. I have started to read your book. Thank you for all of the help. Was hoping you would be a guest lecturer on my cruise:eek:

Generally in May the rains will start, not that it means rain all day, just heavy tropical downpours. There are several Embera villages that the tour operators use and all have the same type of incredible craft work available. Some of the most interesting and authentic villages are the ones farthest out where you need to take about a 45 minute dugout canoe ride through the Chagres jungle to reach the villages. These rivers feed into Madden Lake which is the reserve water supply for Gatun Lake and the Canal. In the dry season the Canal will sometimes need to pull off 2 or 3 feet of water from Madden, sometimes overnight, so in addition to the lack of rain water the sudden pulling of water from Madden Lake can dry up the river and make access impossible other than hiking up the riverbed, which is what the Embera do to reach the village. So it all depends on when the rains start, how heavy it rains, and what the needs of the Canal happen to be at the time. But regardless of the village used I think you will enjoy the all day tour [some of the shorter tours use "demonstration" villages] and you will have opportunity to purchase some of the incredible artwork.

Hope you enjoy my book!

Right now I'm on hiatus from the ships trying to get a number of projects finished at home in Panama. Probably back this fall.

Enjoy your cruise! May is a great time! Regards, Richard

embera-crafts.jpg?w=500

• 3 months later...

Right now I'm on hiatus from the ships trying to get a number of projects finished at home in Panama. Probably back this fall.

Enjoy your cruise! May is a great time! Regards, Richard

embera-crafts.jpg?w=500

Hi Richard! Loving your posts! We will be on Coral Princess leaving November 23rd. Hoping you will be joining our cruise! :rolleyes:

Hi Richard! Loving your posts! We will be on Coral Princess leaving November 23rd. Hoping you will be joining our cruise! :rolleyes:

Thanks! That would be a question for Princess. Unfortunately they may be cutting back on the Port Lecturer positions for ships in the Caribbean. I think they consider the Canal Caribbean. Again, a question for Princess. In general, if there is something you like on board ship, ANY cruise line, maybe something like lecturers, or dance classes, or whatever, you need to let the cruise lines know. In these days when all cruise lines struggle to make a profit anything that they don't think the guests want or enjoy goes away, and what they think guests enjoy and demand get priority.

Regards, and enjoy CORAL and the Canal! Richard

Thanks! That would be a question for Princess. Unfortunately they may be cutting back on the Port Lecturer positions for ships in the Caribbean. I think they consider the Canal Caribbean. Again, a question for Princess. In general, if there is something you like on board ship, ANY cruise line, maybe something like lecturers, or dance classes, or whatever, you need to let the cruise lines know. In these days when all cruise lines struggle to make a profit anything that they don't think the guests want or enjoy goes away, and what they think guests enjoy and demand get priority.

Regards, and enjoy CORAL and the Canal! Richard

HI Richard

I have a question about the village trip as well and am hoping you will be on our HAL November 8th trip.

I am profoundly deaf and wear cochlear implants. Cochlea implants and water to not mix. Are these canoes sturdy enough that there is no reason to think one would get wet of fall in--assuming you don't jumb or do something stupid.

Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question.

Thanks!!!

HI Richard

I have a question about the village trip as well and am hoping you will be on our HAL November 8th trip.

I am profoundly deaf and wear cochlear implants. Cochlea implants and water to not mix. Are these canoes sturdy enough that there is no reason to think one would get wet of fall in--assuming you don't jumb or do something stupid.

How about rain? That would be my biggest concern. The canoes are big trees that are dug out and actually quite stable. If it starts to rain, or if the wind starts blowing . . . that would be more of a concern. The water is all fresh water, rain water actually, but not knowing much about these implants . . . Regards, Richard

The links will take you to a couple of short youtube videos that have examples of what a cayuco (the dugout canoe) looks like.

PS: If I was a lawyer this is where I would place the disclaimer concerning the company that posted the first video.... I don't know anything about them:).

How about rain? That would be my biggest concern. The canoes are big trees that are dug out and actually quite stable. If it starts to rain, or if the wind starts blowing . . . that would be more of a concern. The water is all fresh water, rain water actually, but not knowing much about these implants . . . Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard. I can keep them pretty protected from the rain--unless it is a down pour in which case I would remove them (might be something that I would do in the canoe any way) but if I and my belongings fell in that would be more of a concern.

They actually look very similar to hearing aids while on my ears but are much more sophisticated. If you or others are interested in learning about them or know someone who is very hard of hearing and struggling with hearing aids here is some info from the US National Institute of Deafness and Communication Disorders: http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/coch.aspx

Thanks again,

Connie

• 3 months later...

We are scheduled to take this tour on our Holland America crusie in April 2014 - some reviews mention a steep hill that is difficult to climb. My husband leg surgury three years ago I am concerned about this difficulty.

Does anyone know how steep the hill is to get to the canoes?

Thanks,

CT

HI Richard

Thanks!!!

Do not seat infront of canoe you may get splashed .

Here is a link to a short video, (not mine) that will give you a look at the cayucos (dugout canoes) used to travel to the village. They really are very stable and should not present a problem.

Edited by BillB48

Typically if you get a little splash it feels great: remember Panama is hot and humid! All of the authentic villages sit above the rivers so they don't get flooded out or washed away during the rainy season. It's a gradual uphill walk, something like going from one deck on board to another, but the Embera people are happy to give you a hand if you need it. The tougher thing for old geezers like me is typically the knees and getting up after sitting on a low seat in a dug out canoe for 45 minutes, but here again, the guys are always eager to give you a hand. It's likely going to rain sometime during the day during the Canal cruising season, even if a brief rain, or maybe a downpour. Take along a folding plastic poncho! Incredibly I've never seen these offered for sale in gift shops on board! Lyposuction, teeth whitening, you name it is for sale, but no ponchos! Another thing that seems rare in the ship stores is mosquito repellant. You probably won't need it, but it's nice to be able to guy on board if you've forgotten. It will probably be a little muddy, particularly if it rains, so don't wear you best shoes.

BUT . . . I remember coming back to the ZUIDERDAM with a group who frankly looked like drowned rats . . . soaking wet, feet all muddy, and one lady saying, "Richard, that was the best experience OF MY LIFE!" So what's a little rain, spray, or mud?

Go . . . enjoy . . . these are great people and you will have a great adventure.

Regards, Richard

• 1 month later...

Richard - You aren't on the Zuiderdam next week by any chance are you - leaving Friday Nov 29. I too am concerned about the dugouts - hip problem and have difficulty sitting on low flat surfaces with no back support and my legs stretched out in front of me. I've watched the two videos posted and am still not sure if the seating matches what I describe or if it is a little raised and has some back support. Would appreciate your input if you have time. Thank you.

Richard - You aren't on the Zuiderdam next week by any chance are you - leaving Friday Nov 29. I too am concerned about the dugouts - hip problem and have difficulty sitting on low flat surfaces with no back support and my legs stretched out in front of me. I've watched the two videos posted and am still not sure if the seating matches what I describe or if it is a little raised and has some back support. Would appreciate your input if you have time. Thank you.

Boat ride is about 40 min . I don't think it will be ok in your situation:o No back support at all ,very low sitting .

Wish I were going on ZUIDERDAM with you. There is no back support. Most of the seats its not possible to stretch your legs out in front........ Depending the the severity of your hip problem . . . I don't know. Tough choice. Hope it works out for you. Regards, Richard