Comedy club jokes

Boston Bill

I was reading this John Heald guys page about the comedy club and the 300 comments there, he certainly has a following. What I could not find was just how X rated these jokes are. I am taking my first Carnival Cruise in a few months and my 19 year old daughter will be coming with us. Will I be embarrassed if she is sitting with me at some of the content of the comedians will perform. Is this like an HBO comedy special. Sorry for all the questions but I am a newbie

If they are over 18 then go and enjoy. If you think you will be embarrassed then you go one night and your daughter can go another.

If you think you may be offended then stay away.

Simple.

Me personally I love a good comedian irrespective how crude they are. If they are funny then good on them.

I was embarrassed sitting with my MIL.

My wife and I were confused, cause she was laughing, when we were sure she had no clue about the raunchy subject matter.

After the show, when grllled, she said she did that so she wasn't attacked by the comedian, which he was doing to another mature woman.

My understanding is that the ships have a less-raunchy family version of the comedy shows earlier in the evening and the later shows are definitely "adult". That's how I remember them being listed in the Fun Times on our Triumph cruise anyway.

Just live a little and have fun! You are on vacation! Sometimes it is ok to try something a little outside your comfort zone. If you dont enjoy it then go to the family friendly show the next time. I gurantee most of the things the comedians joke about kids in high school and college talk about already.

I was reading this John Heald guys page about the comedy club and the 300 comments there, he certainly has a following. What I could not find was just how X rated these jokes are. I am taking my first Carnival Cruise in a few months and my 19 year old daughter will be coming with us. Will I be embarrassed if she is sitting with me at some of the content of the comedians will perform. Is this like an HBO comedy special. Sorry for all the questions but I am a newbie

Chances are she will be more embarrassed than you are. I think it depends on how comfortable you are with the jokes and if you are, go and have fun....if your 19 year old wants to tag along, let her make that decision. More than likely she has heard a lot of it and I know my 15 year old would be more embarrassed at our reaction to things than I would be. ;)

It really depends on the comic. Some can be funny and "adult" without being crude for 45+ minutes. Some think "adult" means all of the material has to be raunchy, vulgar, and constantly pushing, if not over, the limit. Some are completely unfunny when they are doing the "family" show, although to be fair, the last comic I saw who was terrible at the family show was just as terrible when she did the late night show. I know it's a cruise ship and not an actual comedy club, but she walked a LOT of people over the couple of nights I was there.

But that is the nice thing about the comedy on the ship - go, and if it's not your thing, leave. There's other things to do, and it didn't cost you anything extra. But if you want to know if every "adult" show is full of sex and cursing and vulgarity, it's not, but at the same time, it can be. If you're easily offended or uncomfortable, then stay away because there will be some level of adult humor. How much is up to the comic.

Maybe it can be a adult bonding opportunity for father/mother and daughter.:)

I told my now adult daughters many years ago when they were tweens that I AM NOT MY MOTHER and if there is anything they wish to talk about to just go for it. My mother wore blinders and was not approachable on certain subjects. Thankfully I had 5 older sisters and 3 older brothers to go to.

Of course when my youngest was 20 I had to put my money where my mouth was, :eek:

But seriously .. you can use this as a way to allow your daughter to come to you about anything. :D

Rated R are what the shows are. Rated R movies have language, violence nudity, sexual acts that you can determine what they are doing, without actually seeing the act. Now a rated X show, is actual, full blown sex. So none of the shows on the ship are X rated. If you don't like that kind of comedy, than I suggest not going with your kid. However, don't be surprised if they go without you:D

I think a 19 year old would be more embarrassed by hanging out with the parents than the comedian.

They usually have a "family friendly" one, which is earlier, and then the raunchy ones later. They were both hilarious on our Pride cruise last year. We are going on the Breeze next month and I hear it's SRO. :( I am not getting there 45 minutes early to wait in line. Move it to the main showroom. Enjoy!!!!!!

All of the adult shows start with the MC stating that these shows are for those who are over 18, and that some of the material heard may be of the "spicy" variety. It is up to the audience to determine if they are offended by this or not.

There is always the family friendly comedy acts that go on earlier in the evening.

Maybe it can be a adult bonding opportunity for father/mother and daughter.:)

I told my now adult daughters many years ago when they were tweens that I AM NOT MY MOTHER and if there is anything they wish to talk about to just go for it. My mother wore blinders and was not approachable on certain subjects. Thankfully I had 5 older sisters and 3 older brothers to go to.

Of course when my youngest was 20 I had to put my money where my mouth was, :eek:

But seriously .. you can use this as a way to allow your daughter to come to you about anything. :D

I have always been the same way with my kids. Come talk to me , especially it if is one of the "BIG" topics. If you need advice or need to talk, i would rather it be with me then with one of their friends who doesn't know anymore than they do, or some outsider who will sell them a bill of goods to get them to do what they want.

Like you said those times when you have to put your money where your mouth is can be trying , but I am still glad they came to me.

Next week the last of my kids turns 21 , so the days of covering their eyes and ears are long gone. They can probably tell me a few things . :)

If you' re uncomfortable with it , then don't go, otherwise enjoy.

I am in my 40's and my sister in her 30's, our DH's in their 40's. We are cruising with our mom this summer. There is no way in Hades I want to be anywhere near my mom at a raunchy comedy show, so I cannot imagine a 19 year old wanting to be at one with her dad. I have no problem with the content I have problem being near my mom when listening to it. ;)

Yeah our kids now and days have heard a lot more than I ever did at their age. My DW was on a business trip when our son was 18 and I remember her calling him one evening to ask what a particular acronym meant. He was to embarrassed to tell her but gave her enough of a hint to figure it out. Still laugh about her having to ask him what something like that meant. The shows can be a little rough but on our first cruise my wife went up on stage with the comedian and had a blast and the kids always called her Saint Debbie because she was so "good". It is all in how you take it and what you are used to.

Archived