Change of plans - taking the toddler

TheRealSunidaze

My husband and I have booked a cruise for my 40th birthday next month. A long overdue vacation for the both of us (never even had a honeymoon and our 5 year anniversary is this year). I was so looking forward to the rest and relaxation as we are both so very busy with our jobs and totally exhausted from a constantly on the go toddler (she will be 2 in June). Well...circumstances changes and we are now about 90% sure she will be going with us. I am already stressed at this prospect. We will be going on the Jewell of the Seas. I have never even cruised before so don't really know what to expect and now she is being thrown into the mix. Help?!?

Before you plan on "taking" her, you better make an immediate call to the cruise line and make sure you can add her to your reservation. At one month out you very well may be out of luck. Not only must your room accommodate a third person but they must be able to accommodate the third person in your section of the ship. It is all about life boats. Just because your room is a triple does NOT mean you can add her in. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

Before you plan on "taking" her, you better make an immediate call to the cruise line and make sure you can add her to your reservation. At one month out you very well may be out of luck. Not only must your room accommodate a third person but they must be able to accommodate the third person in your section of the ship. It is all about life boats. Just because your room is a triple does NOT mean you can add her in. Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

This is what I was going to say. I'll be surprised if you can still add her.

That being said, taking a toddler along can be lots of fun! Be sure to request a PNP, we used one on the Jewel and it was perfect, but bring your own bedding! Bring scented bags for dirty diapers, dish soap to wash bottles and cups in your sink and disposable bibs and place mats for meal times. It is easy to get a highchair if you still need one. Remember she can't go in the pool, you might find an inflatable tub is fun to play in on the pool deck. DH and I took turns relaxing and being on toddler duty - you can still enjoy what the ship has to offer!

I agree with the previous poster: take turns being on toddler duty, so that while one of you entertains the little one, the other of you can go out and enjoy the activities. Also, I believe that there will be some organized play groups for kids of that age, so you'll have some "structure" to your day.

Be sure and have a backup plan in case your child cannot be accomodated on this cruise. As mentioned, the deciding factor is that there must be enough lifeboat space for every passenger; so if your section of the ship has already filled up, no one else can be booked. If this happens, you could try and see if they could move you to another cabin in a different part of the ship.

Finally, if you find yourself between a rock and a hard place (you have to bring your daughter, but there's no room for her), you may just have to change your reservations to another cruise. I don't know how that works (I've never had to do it), but if you do have to change, I would just defer another year. Once DD is 3 years old, she can take part in the kids club (Adventure Ocean, on RCI), and this would give you and DH a whole lot more time to yourselves.

Good luck to you.

I agree with the previous poster: take turns being on toddler duty, so that while one of you entertains the little one, the other of you can go out and enjoy the activities. Also, I believe that there will be some organized play groups for kids of that age, so you'll have some "structure" to your day.

Be sure and have a backup plan in case your child cannot be accomodated on this cruise. As mentioned, the deciding factor is that there must be enough lifeboat space for every passenger; so if your section of the ship has already filled up, no one else can be booked. If this happens, you could try and see if they could move you to another cabin in a different part of the ship.

Finally, if you find yourself between a rock and a hard place (you have to bring your daughter, but there's no room for her), you may just have to change your reservations to another cruise. I don't know how that works (I've never had to do it), but if you do have to change, I would just defer another year. Once DD is 3 years old, she can take part in the kids club (Adventure Ocean, on RCI), and this would give you and DH a whole lot more time to yourselves.

Good luck to you.

Not all ships have activities for toddlers, very few in fact. I also seriously doubt the cruise line will just allow them to change cruise dates because it is inconvenient for them. They likely will loose their money (unless they have insurance). They are only a month out. They might get lucky and be able to move to another cabin.

Cruising with a toddler, or even babies, is a lot if fun. The main thing to remember is to be flexible with your plans. For example, she may be too tired to handle the dining room some nights and you need to eat in the Windjammer. Another thing I'd recommend is to make sure you bring some activities for her to do in the dining room and bring cups for drinks. RCI doesn't supply crayons in the dining room and they don't have kid's cups. She'll be drinking out of the same tall, tapered water glasses as adults if you don't bring hers. As for excursions, a beach day at one of your ports is always a good option with younger kids.

Jewel says it has Royal Tots programming. On Mariner, during the day, they had a play area with toys setup in one of the teen discos. It was a great area for our 10-month old to play in and we regularly saw a couple with a 2-year old son there. Jewel may be different, but they should have some activities for her.

If you can bring your daughter with you, don't fret over the cruise. I remember having a great time cruising with all THREE of my children aboard the Grand Princess when my daughter was nearly 3 years old... Her first cruise, we were aboard Disney with the three of them.

Just make sure you set your expectations realistically.

You may or may not find a whole lot of "couple" time, but you will have plenty of "family time". Maybe, if you're feeling brave, see whether you can pay one of the girls from the Spa (usually, that's who is available for in-room baby sitting) watch your daughter so you and your spouse can go eat at a specialty restaurant for two hours.

I had a lot of fun watching my kids experience things at their young age... things that I didn't see until well into my later teens and adulthood.

Dolphin swims, holding parrots and iguanas, going to aquariums in the "tropics". It's a great time.

196876_1014210284679_7266_n.jpg

It's not "couple time", but it's quality family time. Just remember, you don't have to cook or clean for the entirety of the trip!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This doesn't COMPLETELY count.. because it was aboard Disney... Daughter was 18months...

430025_10200309833257621_162332749_n.jpg

553005_10200309882978864_1298060645_n.jpg

Wonderful family memories.

OMG! Too cute pictures. That alone, to me, is worth the price of the cruise. I look at cruises as the best time for family bonding. Everyone looking cute all dressed up and all the kids and cousins together. One cruise my son says to me... umm how come you did a family together picture and excluded us? Well, because YOU and wife weren't ready and everyone else was. I DID have his daughter in the picture :D. Next time be one time!

Archived