Moorea - vespa hire

downundermatt

We are hoping to hire two vespas for the day next month in Moorea.

Two local travel agencies told us to find them when we disembark.My concern is they may sell out when 4000 cruisers hit shore.

Has anyone had experience getting Vespas in Moorea after arriving ?

Will our foreign drivers licenses be accepted,or should arrange International licenses?

Thanks for your tips.....

Don't do it .............. very dangerous

No shoulders on the roads and the drivers on Moorea will darn near run you off the road, very scary. If you get hurt badly there is no hospital on Moorea, you would need to go to Tahiti. You've been warned .......

Going to the Belvedere you will encounter probably 6 - 8 hairpin turns on a road that is for the most part one lane all while on a steep incline while 45 foot tour buses are coming down the mountain way to fast ........... and as I stated earlier ........ no shoulders, just a fast pass to the bottom of the mountain (over the side)

A Tahitian born Aussie friend assures us the vespa is no issue - perhaps we should hire a car after all -I assume the ATVs (golf buggies) are off road vehicles only - and a final silly question, can we hire snorkelling gear on arrival in Moorea, or should we bring it from Sydney -am thinking we can always discard it in Hawaii and replace with shopping !! And are sandals/flippers a must on the coral -Please forgive my ignorance - am spoilt with swimming with soft white sands underfoot

TikiI think you have talked me around (and maybe saved my soul in the process)

Any idea where Soltice is likely to dock in Moorea next month ?

Is a "fun car" any safer ?

We are heading to the Hilton for the day, any other suggestions ?

Again thanks for your local advice, Cheers Matthew

All ships will moor in one of two locations, Cooks Bay or Opunohu Bay. If it's Cooks Bay you will tender to the lilttle marina next to the Kaveka Hotel. If it's Opunohu Bay you will tender to the little marina at Papetoai.

A "fun car" is noisy and rough on your butt, plus they are slowwwwwwww.........

If you want to stay put in one location the Hilton is a great choice ;)

Tikiintahiti I need to ask you a question about Nuku Hiva. Are there normally local driver's at the docking/tender area that cruisers can hire for a 'taxi tour' for the day?

There are probably at least 5 additional couples who are also interested in doing something independent since Oceania's single excursion offering is double what this type of tour should cost, for only 3 hour, and Claude has been booked for a long time. Our ship is going to be there over night because they canceled Hiva Oa.

I appreciate any information & suggestions you can share that I can pass on to others on our ship. (We have already made independent arrangements but others are trying to figure out how to maximize time on Nuku Hiva)

Thank you for your help

Going to the Belvedere you will encounter probably 6 - 8 hairpin turns on a road that is for the most part one lane all while on a steep incline while 45 foot tour buses are coming down the mountain way to fast ........... and as I stated earlier ........ no shoulders, just a fast pass to the bottom of the mountain (over the side)

Wow , sounds eerily like 'The Road to Hana'. After making that drive I understood the prevalence of t-shirts that read "I survived the road to Hana"...

Thanks soo much for sharing this. It will help to know what to expect. Better to be forewarned

The road to Hana is a super highway compared to the road up to the Belvedere.

"It will help to know what to expect. Better to be forewarned"

Hummmmmmmm ..........

Sounds like your going to do it. All I can say is you've been warned. Chances are nothing bad will happen but the point I'm trying to make is if something does happen the consequences can be high. No quick response medical teams, hospital on another island .......... enough said

I had to chuckle at this. We rented a scooter on Moorea in 1984, and probably only encountered a half dozen other vehicles all day as we drove all the way around the island. I never saw a tour bus the whole time we were there.

I guess we will be prepared to be shocked by the changes.

Tiki,

So we are off to Moorea Hilton for the day - (have tours arranged for Bora Bora and Papeete Circile Island)

Is Belvedere doable from the Hilton ?

Would you recommend hiring a car, as against taking a taxi ? There are two of us (altho we may find another couple on board)

Thanks Matt

Hey Tiki .... Maybe you misunderstood me.

Am planning a day at the Moorea Hilton, and would like to drive to the Belvedere Lookout either before or after ....

Have ruled out the Vespa.....so reckon can we do it with a Rent a Car or would a taxi be a better deal - ideally would like to have five hours at the Hilton for lunch and a swim ......

Hey am talking about either cabbing it or driving ....

So we plan the day at the Moorea Hilton, can we either rent a car and driver to Belvedere Lookout, or do it with a driver - if it's too much fora day, will have lunch and spend the day by the pool .... what would you recommend - taxi vs rent a car ??

Taxi should be cheaper. Make sure you get the price tag before you jump in the taxi.

A fair R/T price should be in the $65 - $75 range

A 4 hour car rental will be around $100

Keep in mind Taxi service will be tough as it will be busy with a ship in

We have stayed at the Hilton twice and we also did the day stop there twice off the ship. Taxi fare for us was $20 USD each way to the Hilton. The day use fee includes snorkel gear and lunch. Since you are coming in on a larger ship I would contact them in advance to make sure they have space. I believe they limit the number of day passes that are sold.

Archived