Treasure Hunt

cruiseformel

I was thinking about staging a treasure hunt for my 5 year old son while we're on our FOS cruise this summer. Making a treasure map and burying a little treasure box on the beach for him to find. Has anyone had any success with this, or any ideas to share?

I've heard of at least 2 different cruise lines that do this with the kids club. I happened to bump into a group of these pint sized pirates on a cruise and they were having a fabulous time. You might contact RCCL to see if they do one before you go through the effort of making it yourself.

I was thinking about staging a treasure hunt for my 5 year old son while we're on our FOS cruise this summer. Making a treasure map and burying a little treasure box on the beach for him to find. Has anyone had any success with this, or any ideas to share?

It sounds like a fun idea to me. Have you been to this beach before? If not, you would need to google some pictures of it in order to spot a good location in which to bury the treasure chest, and spot landmarks that you can include on the map. Be sure to account for the high-tide line, so your burial spot doesn't end up submerged by the time your son comes a-hunting. Also, don't bury it in a too-popular location, or else you will have to fend off incoming sunbathers who want to plant their towels and chairs on your spot.

Naturally, you would need to find a way to get to the beach, and bury the treasure, without your son seeing you do it. I assume you would employ the "divide and conquer" strategy here, with your spouse bringing your son to the beach separately, some time after you would have gone there to do the deed (or vice versa).

You might want to remain there at the beach, within sight of the burial location, from the time you bury the chest until the time your son finds it. Two reasons: (1) so you don't end up losing the location and not being able to find it, and (2) so in case someone reports your activity to a beach worker and they come and try to dig it up and dispose of it, you can be on hand to tell them what you're doing and assure them that you're not littering, or planting a bomb, or whatever.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

We don't do a "treasure hunt" - but we do a photo scavenger hunt. It's easier to plan ;)

I scope out the deck plans and I write the clues on one paper and the kids (WITH ADULTS) have to go from deck to deck and take a photo of themselves at the clue. At the end - your son could find the "treasure"

For instance - on FOS - the clues could be something like:

Surfs Up! Time to grab your board and hit the waves! (Answer: flow rider)

You might not have to sing for your hamburger, fries and milkshake but the waiters will sing for you! (Answer: Johnny Rockets)

My best advice if you do this - plan the hunt from the bottom of the ship UP or from the top DOWN. You don't want to be running from deck 12 to deck 4 and then back up to deck 10. Well, not unless you really want to tire the kids out early :)

You could add photos of things in ports, may make your son more interested when you get off eg seagull, ice cream stand or landmarks ( think you are in the Caribbean on your cruise so can't suggest any!)

Have a good cruise, Gillian

Archived