Age Restriction at Buffets?

sunnysavannah

I'm wondering about age restrictions at buffets, specifically on RCI. Where we live, kids under age 10 are not allowed to serve themselves. Is there such a restriction in place?

I would accompany my kids, but if my DD 11 or DS9 wanted another scoop of something, would it be frowned upon for her/him to get it her/himself? They do know the rules about using a new plate, using utensils, no cutting in line, get the item you touch first (no digging around, lol), etc. I'm wondering if there would be a restriction based on age.

I have seen signs on our cruises (don't think it was RCI) that said something along the lines of "Parents please help your children...."

I have actually made my own rules for the buffet. My 13 year old can get her own food. My 8 year old - um, even when she is 13 I will probably still be getting her food ;) I can see her dropping her entire plate as she skips back to the table.

If your boys are mature enough to go on their own - then there is no age restriction that I can recall on RCI. If you get on board and you do see one - come back and let us know :)

Our kids were nearly 4 and 6 on our last cruise. We helped them with getting their food, but I did not have a problem letting them both get their own silverware or boxes of cereal and bowls. They are pretty good and follow the rules. That being said, on our next cruise, I will let my daughter (who will be close to 10) get her own food, unless she asks for help. My son will still need help getting the food, but I wouldn't have a problem with him trying to get it himself if he tried and I was nearby. I think it depends on the individual child.

I saw small children getting ice-cream from dispenser, so parents, beware, watch them if you don't want their appetite spoiled :)

On some ships buffets have "kid zone" with juices and food.

• 2 weeks later...

My daoughter usually helps the kids get what they want, then we let them get 2nds if they wish, and we know they can reach - big grin on grandson's face - came back with a big chocolate covered donut at breakfast and took a big bite!! he was told he could have what he wanted, but he had to eat it and not waste it! He did not waste it!!:D

I'm a single parent and have a terrible time with out table getting "cleared" while we get up to get seconds. If my daughter wants something I tell her to stay at the table, but she will get up to follow me... then whatever food I was in the middle of eating gets cleaned away... so yeah, I just send her off on her own and hope for the best. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? As a single parent, I HATE the buffet!

I'm a single parent and have a terrible time with out table getting "cleared" while we get up to get seconds. If my daughter wants something I tell her to stay at the table, but she will get up to follow me... then whatever food I was in the middle of eating gets cleaned away... so yeah, I just send her off on her own and hope for the best. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? As a single parent, I HATE the buffet!

I also very much dislike the buffet when I'm with my youngest, who is now 7. Get in line with his plate, fill it up, take him to the table. Go back and get cutlery. Go back and get drinks. Go back and get my food. Go back and get him more food. Go back and get dessert. No thank you! Thank goodness we usually travel with his two older siblings (teenagers) who can at least sit with him. Otherwise, I try to eat in the MDR as much as possible or order room service - especially in the mornings.

I think it was NCL that had a kids buffet! Short tables, small chairs - pizza, hot dogs, fries and veggies in a kid size buffet. My daughter LOVED it. I wouldn't approve of eating that every meal, but it was really great for her to be a big girl once in a while.

I think it was NCL that had a kids buffet! Short tables, small chairs - pizza, hot dogs, fries and veggies in a kid size buffet. My daughter LOVED it. I wouldn't approve of eating that every meal, but it was really great for her to be a big girl once in a while.

That is a great idea. I know some restaurants around us have kids section at the buffet. All cruises should make a small children's buffet.

Yes, we thought that was a brilliant move on NCLs part. Kid height buffet with kid friendly food surrounded by kid size tables and chairs. (Note: Kid friendly food included a wide variety from chicken nuggets and fries to really great looking mac and cheese to cut fruits and veggies with various dips. It wasn't "kid only" food either as I saw adults almost furtively adding the mac and cheese to their own plates.:D And why not? If it's good, go for it.)

beachchick

If you or your kids feel they need assistance and you wish to send them on up so you can enjoy your meal, just have them ask someone and they will be more than happy to help them out. I've seen young kids at the buffet...sometimes they have better manners than the adults!

Archived