Katrina Levee without tour

nina_930

Is it possible to see the Levee from Katrina without taking a guided tour. We don't have time to do a tour. If so is there an easy way to get there? Thanks!

Hi Nina,

Is it possible... sure. However, the levee breach that inundated the Lower 9th Ward is not in the best of neighborhoods. I would not even consider public transportation but if you are renting a car AND visit in the morning you can you see the new wall that's been built since Katrina. Also, you'll be able to see where Brad Pitt's group has built some very unique and energy efficient houses for displaced residents.

Hope this helps but I am sure you'll get more opinions.

Jorge

That's true.

The only sign left of the levee breech near my home in Lakeview is a plaque.

In the lower 9th ward you will see a lot of empty lots. Most of the damaged homes have been demolished, but some were rebuilt. You would have to have seen it before Katrina to really appreciate the difference.

Is it possible to see the Levee from Katrina without taking a guided tour. We don't have time to do a tour. If so is there an easy way to get there? Thanks!

I really don't understand why you would want to see it. It's just a levee now, and you can see nicer ones sailing down the river. But then I really object to the "disaster lookey-loos" so I would never even consider trying to find it.

Better to spend your time checking out the real sights of NOLA: take a ride on the St. Charles Avenue Street Car; stop and contemplate the river at Moonwalk; get beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde; visit the zoo/aquarium; shop along Magazine Street. There is so much to do and see without doing a disaster tour.

I really don't understand why you would want to see it. It's just a levee now, and you can see nicer ones sailing down the river. But then I really object to the "disaster lookey-loos" so I would never even consider trying to find it.

Better to spend your time checking out the real sights of NOLA: take a ride on the St. Charles Avenue Street Car; stop and contemplate the river at Moonwalk; get beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe du Monde; visit the zoo/aquarium; shop along Magazine Street. There is so much to do and see without doing a disaster tour.

Don't judge people as "disaster lookey-loos". Katrina is a significant part of NOLA and American history now. I would like to see it so I can get a better understanding and appreciation for the tragedy that happened. And also to see the work that has been done since then to rebill. I live in NY and I would never call a tourist a "disaster lookey-loo" for wanting to visit Ground Zero and the Freedom Tower and see what progress has been made to the area.

If you are still interested, my neighborhood is about 20 minutes from downtown, and I would be happy to give you directions. We are almost completely rebuilt.

Within another 10 minutes is another area which is not doing as well, and you can see the difference.

Both areas are safe.

Don't judge people as "disaster lookey-loos". Katrina is a significant part of NOLA and American history now. I would like to see it so I can get a better understanding and appreciation for the tragedy that happened. And also to see the work that has been done since then to rebill. I live in NY and I would never call a tourist a "disaster lookey-loo" for wanting to visit Ground Zero and the Freedom Tower and see what progress has been made to the area.

i and my hubby were born and raised in nola. he grew up in the lower nine, a couple of blocks from that breach. i grew up in gentilly, not far from another breach. when we're home, we also become lookey-loos, lol. nothing left today will give you the same effect of katrina's aftermath but it may be worth seeing the progress that has been made. i remember, even years later, a house in the 9th ward was wide open (a side wall had a hole in it) with clothes still hanging in the closet. stuck in time, it brought back pain and wonderment. i also miss all of the old businesses, schools, and houses that are gone so what you see is a bit different from what it originally was. however, katrina is as much a part of nola as beignets and gumbo and the WTC analogy (which i also "visited" right after) is a good one.

Nina, can you rent a car for half a day? Drive through Lakeview, Gentilly, the Lower Ninth Ward and New Orleans East. Those areas that flooded where people had money have rebuilt. Those areas where people had little or no money have not really rebuilt, though some of the areas were in deplorable condition before Katrina.

If you are still interested, my neighborhood is about 20 minutes from downtown, and I would be happy to give you directions. We are almost completely rebuilt.

Within another 10 minutes is another area which is not doing as well, and you can see the difference.

Both areas are safe.

I am glad to hear your neighborhood is rebilt. Good to hear about progress. It's sad that not everyone is back to "normal".

Nina, can you rent a car for half a day? Drive through Lakeview, Gentilly, the Lower Ninth Ward and New Orleans East. Those areas that flooded where people had money have rebuilt. Those areas where people had little or no money have not really rebuilt, though some of the areas were in deplorable condition before Katrina.

Thank you both. We aren't renting a car. It will just be too much. We are only there for a day so we are trying to shove everything into the day....which defanity isn't posible. But we are getting in the main stuff. I think with there being so much to see and do I will have to make another longer trip to visit. There is so much history in NOLA that I can come for a week and still leave wanting to see more. :)

Nina, we all have different interests, so I certainly respect your desire to see areas especially hard hit by Katrina (and we can add the Mississippi Gulf Coast to the list).

But with only a day to visit, I would focus on the French Quarter, Warehouse District and then Uptown (along St. Charles Avenue including the Garden District and the University District).

And if you want something a tad different, catch a cab to a neighborhood restaurant like Luizza's, which is in an area affected by Katrina. In fact, a taxi drive for an hour will give you some idea of what Katrina did. The Mid-City area is close to the French Quarter but was flooded.

Archived