Another Long Conquest Review - June 5-12

Safeteeguy

Well, no, they don't. They don't have one lobster tail per person. They've been in this business for years and years and years, and I'm sure that after all this time, they have a very good idea of what percentage of their guests go to formal night, and what percentage of those order the lobster. Of course it's not an exact science, but it's probably pretty accurate. It's like colleges that give out admissions - they estimate how many kids to accept based on past rates of how many of those will come to the school.

You can't just go onto a cruise ship and expect to be catered to like a king, eating whatever hits your fancy whenever and wherever you want. Yes, there is a lot of food on the ship, but they do have a set menu, and you get your choices among what is there.

Also, if everyone started making demands (e.g. "I want the duck from two nights ago, I was sick and missed it") then it will be problematic for the chefs. Imagine if you had to cook for upwards of 3,000 people every night, it'd be a headache to take individual meal requests. I think it's also quite selfish. Different foods are cooked at different temperatures and with different ingredients. Say they can put 20 orders of beef at a time in the oven. Why should they have to then hold off on the next round because they need to use the broiler to cook one lobster? They shouldn't have to drag all the ingredients for lobster out just for one person. They're going to delay food for 20 people because one person "didn't feel like dressing up" for formal night the night before and is now demanding the lobster everyone else got?

As pointed out by others, you were not excluded from eating the lobster, it's just that you chose not to eat it when it was offered. That was your choice. It's like going to a buffet, deciding not to get the fried chicken, and then complaining later on that you didn't get to eat it.

They had fried chicken??

http://community.webshots.com/user/safeteeguy100

We've always found that you either love or hate cruising; there's not usually a middle ground of take it or leave it. Obviously, some of us love it. Sorry the weather was lousy. On 5/22 we were able to enjoy perfect weather with no rain and the seas were smooth as glass (they usually are in May). A June tropical storm does not happen very often. We're going again on 7/10 and are hoping for good weather but you never know at this time of year. As for food, we've never gone hungry on a cruise and don't recall anyone else either.

Good review, Safeteeguy. Sorry you guys had to miss a port. We sailed the Sensation at almost the same time as you - June 4-9. We had pretty rough seas - my DH says 8-10 swells - but we took meds and didn't get seasick. We had to miss our stop in Costa Maya because of the high seas. We couldn't dock at the port. But, we went on to Cozumel that evening and everything was better. It stormed the next day on our tour but we still had a blast. We're already dreaming of our next cruise.

Thanks for your honest review. And I agree with some of the other posters..cruising is not for everyone. I am sorry for your disappointments, but it looks like you handled them well. We have been on 8 almost perfect cruises, including the first which involved a hurricane. But I';m sure on each of those cruises there were some people who were disappointed in some aspects of the cruise. It depends on many things..sometimes just a "bad week" fo the individual..not feeling up to par, and at my age those weeks come around more often. Who knws, number 9 in September on the Glory may not turn out well for us....but I sure hope so!! Thanks again and I like your attitude!

Archived