Children in the steakhouse

hayesktrm

Age restrictions in the steakhouse?  

582 members have voted

1. 1. Age restrictions in the steakhouse?

• No age restrictions, everyone is welcome
    • No babies under 2
    • Only 12 and older allowed
    • Only 16 and older allowed

I agree this is a parenting issue and no need for carnival to set a policy. Unfortunately personal responsibility is but a distant memory these days. The parent should've taken the baby out until it calmed down. I also thing had a reasonable period of time transpired and the baby was still crying then the family should've been asked to leave. Not because kids shouldn't be allowed in the steakhouse but rather because they were disturbing other guests for a period of time - the same way an adult would be asked to leave if they became belligerent.

My .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have learned a lot of things over the years but learned as an adult to tone it down - so you snort down food in boot camp does not mean he has to do it in the steak house or dining room. I have a friend who is like that and we love to spend time with him but we will not eat with him, it is embarrassing. Why would you want to spend good money when he would not even taste a morsel of food - he would just sit there and watch everyone else leisurely eat for the next 2 hours- boring

Have you ever been in the military? From you comment I take it no. So a clean cut young man, who is obviously in the military, you would be embarressed to be around because because he has learned to eat fast? They do use silverwear, and napkins. Why would you not want to pay for a service man/women a good meal for a change? Just also to clarify something, they often times sit around for hours at a time "watching" over things. That's their job. Not a single thing you said, makes me and other believe that you don't understand the military and the sacrifices that are made for our freedoms. Sitting around "watching" other enjoy their meal is part of their life.

This is in stark contrast to that OP's complaint, but that manager remembers the situation a bit different.

How do you know what the manager remembers? No where on this thread have I seen anything about what the restaurant manager stated.

How do you know what the manager remembers? No where on this thread have I seen anything about what the restaurant manager stated.

This thread is not the only place this is being discussed.

So yesterday 40,000 people read the post about the young baby that was in the Steakhouse and 1000 plus commented on it. It seemed that many of you would also have felt disturbed by the way the author pof the post described the situation, as I must admit would have I.

I did speak to the Steakhouse supervisor and she remembers the situation and describes it rather differently but the point is that I can confirm that all the Steak House managers will politely and respectfully request that parents take the child out if there is a long period of crying. I spoke to one of my good friends who works in the Steakhouse on the carnival Breeze and she told me that she can never remember this being a problem as most parents realise that a 2 hour plus meal in that ambience is not going to make baby very happy. So, thanks for all your comments ...

Thank you Mister. I was wondering. I cannot check Facebook while here at work and no one had even mentioned that on this thread. I appreciate the quick answer.

Wish John would say what the manager remembers. I am always interested in hearing the "other side" of a story and how sometimes it is hugely different.

Thank you Mister. I was wondering. I cannot check Facebook while here at work and no one had even mentioned that on this thread. I appreciate the quick answer.

Wish John would say what the manager remembers. I am always interested in hearing the "other side" of a story and how sometimes it is hugely different.

It's right there on post number 1! :)

Understood, and no problem. :) Wish I knew more too, but only because I'm just mildly voyeuristic. :cool::o

My vote would go to "Other" if you had an option for it. If they choose to adopt an age restriction, then it should be 18- adults only. I think Disney does something similar. Otherwise if its not a strictly adults only venue, then no age restriction and let people use their best judgment. DH and I are planning on dining in the steakhouse and we are NOT taking our 2 year old. She can't handle it. She would drive me and everyone else crazy. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but she is a 2 year old and they are moody and unpredictable. (Wait I think I described a teenager- lol). But that is my kid. I can't judge whether someone else's kid is capable of handling it.

Basically, they should either make it an adults only restaurant and stick to it, or a family place, with no age limits. I don't care either way. Like I said, I do not plan on bringing my child there. But if someone else has their 5 year old there and she/he is a perfect angel through dinner, it is not going it impact my experience. Even if he/she gets a little restless, as long as they are not screaming, crying for a long time, running around, etc. I will deal.

When my DS was a baby, we could take him anywhere. If he was tired he fell asleep. If he was hungry I gave him a snack (that I always kept with me) to tide him over. If he needed to be changed we went and changed him. He was rarely sick and nothing else made him cry. We were able to take him to fancier restaurants from infancy with no issues.

When DD was a baby we couldn't take her anywhere, not even church. She was constantly crying and nothing we did could do to calm her. She had a lot of ear infections and colds as a baby/toddler so some of it could have been that. It wasn't temper crying, it was frustration crying. There is a difference. When she was able to talk and express herself, the crying stopped. Once we were able to communicate with her we were able to take her to fancier restaurants with no issues.

Our first cruise was a Disney Cruise with another family who had kids the same ages as ours (4 and 7 at that time). Our kids were able to sit through the 2 hour meals with no problems. Their kids got antsy within a 1/4 hour. After a 1/2 hour they were in and out of their seats making a ton of noise, and getting in the way of the waiters, while my kids sat silently watching them with a look of what is wrong with you on their faces. My friends did not discipline their children. They did a lot of yelling at them and they did make excuses. They're hungry, they're tired, the wait is too long for young kids....all while my kids sat there patiently waiting for their food and quietly eating it when it arrived. They all did the same activities during the day.

I love my friends...but at times their parenting skills were lacking. I did not feel it was my place to say anything but my whole family was embarrassed by their behavior. Quite honestly that was not the first nor the last time we had that experience with them...but I valued my friendship more than the embarrassment it caused us....so I kept my thoughts to myself as they parented their own way. It was a lesson to my children on how not to act. Luckily for me they took that lesson to heart and did not attempt to follow their example for fear of embarrassing themselves.

Since none of you are my dear friends and none of you know me...I have more courage to tell you my thoughts on this matter. You can take or leave it but I hope not to offend anyone. As a parent we should know what our children can and can not handle. Some children can handle a Steakhouse experience from infancy, some need to be a little older and some need to be a lot older. If your child is one that can't handle it, then don't go...or be prepared to go when your child starts acting up like you knew he would. If your child can handle it then go....if by some fluke they give you trouble for the first time then be prepared to deal with it outside of the restaurant. It is the parents responsibility to control the situation. If that means leaving for a few minutes to let a child get themselves under control or getting to go boxes and leaving for good because control is hopeless, that is what being a parent is all about. It is poor parenting (not to mention rude to your fellow passengers) to do nothing and let your children disturb everyone else.

IMHO this holds true no matter where you on a ship. A good parent takes a child away from the situation he/she can't handle until the emotions are under control again. It's not only good manners...it is what is best for the child. If they are upset, it gives them a chance to calm down. I can't tell you how many times I had to finish my grocery shopping before I was done because DD couldn't handle it anymore when she was an infant. If they are just being over zealous and loud, it gives them the discipline they need to know that this is not acceptable behavior. Kids can be kids without disturbing everyone around them. There are places where loud and zealous play is acceptable and some places, like MDR and steakhouse where it is not. That discipline should be started as soon as the child is able to communicate and talk to you. I'm not talking spanking or yelling (IMHO that accomplishes nothing), I'm talking the mother eye and calm, direct, and firm instructions on how they should be acting. No backing down. I've never really had to go past that step with my kids (who are now 16 and 18) so I'll let you take it from there if discipline needs to go further:D.

Thanks for letting me express my thoughts on this matter...I hope I did not offend anyone. But this is my experience in raising 2 well disciplined and respectful kids to their Sophomore years in High School and College. I can't tell you the numerous times I have been complimented on their behavior over the years by teachers, coaches, and even strangers. DD was voted kindest in her class in 8th grade mock elections and DS was voted captain of his soccer team his senior year because of his values and work ethic. I can only wish that for everyone else.

I hope not to offend anyone. As a parent we should know what our children can and can not handle. Some children can handle a Steakhouse experience from infancy, some need to be a little older and some need to be a lot older. If your child is one that can't handle it, then don't go...or be prepared to go when your child starts acting up like you knew he would. If your child can handle it then go....if by some fluke they give you trouble for the first time then be prepared to deal with it outside of the restaurant. It is the parents responsibility to control the situation. If that means leaving for a few minutes to let a child get themselves under control or getting to go boxes and leaving for good because control is hopeless, that is what being a parent is all about. It is poor parenting (not to mention rude to your fellow passengers) to do nothing and let your children disturb every else.

I would hope basic common sense wouldn't offend anyone. What you posted sounds fair to me.

How about this for an idea, split the Steak House in half. One side adults only,

the other side for families? Would that work?

It would work about as well as when we had smoking on one side and non-smoking on the other at a restaurant. The smoke would filter over to the other side as well as a screaming kid on one side would be able to be heard on the other. Nice thought though.

It's right there on post number 1! :)

No it is not. I went back to re-read because I was sure I would have noticed and the OP says nothing about the manager having a different side to the story. All it says is that the manager did nothing.

No it is not. I went back to re-read because I was sure I would have noticed and the OP says nothing about the manager having a different side to the story. All it says is that the manager did nothing.

I guess you missed the reference that it was a Facebook post.

It would work about as well as when we had smoking on one side and non-smoking on the other at a restaurant. The smoke would filter over to the other side as well as a screaming kid on one side would be able to be heard on the other. Nice thought though.

Got it, that make sense! Too bad, there isn't a simple solution that would make it a nice

dining experience for most people. Perhaps two steak houses, one for adults, one for families. Although, there's probably not enough space to build another one.

I personally think it's wonderful to see kids out with parents at a nice place. IF you really don't "want to hear someone elses child" then I suggest maybe dinner for 2 in your cabin. My DH/I have 4 kids all grown now and we always stop at a table to let the parents know what a pleasure it's been to see well behaved kids enjoying fine dining as a family.

I'm proud to say that we have had people come to our table multiple times over the years to tell us just that....it is a wonderful feeling to know you did your job right as a parent. So thank you :).

..and you expect something like this on a mass makret cruise ship....a CARNIVAL cruise ship???? :confused:

You would have better opportunity to experience an all adult atmosphere on a line that caters to older cruisers, I think....

Also, from my experience, longer itineraries (14+ days) often don't have many kids on board, however there are always some.

I don't enjoy a cruise that has way too many kids on board either...which is why I choose my cruise accordingly. I also don't enjoy a cruise where there are too many older people either.....a good mix is always preferable...so I also choose my cruiseLINE accordingly.

Yes, you should be able to eat dinner in peace....but you are generalizing when you assume that all kids can't sit for a two hour meal. Although I imagine a lot of kids can't, our kids were raised with sit down dinners at home, with everyone present. Our dinners at home didn't last two hours, but they were long and we enjoyed each other's company...so they were used to sitting down to a meal. I'm Italian...holiday dinners last 1/2 a day. SO.... was I supposed to skip out on a meal in the steak house just because someone like you can't comprehend the fact that some kids can sit and just be with their parents and enjoy a longer meal?? That's just bull. NOT all kids need constant stimulation/entertainment...depends on how they are raised.

Not all kids are raised like animals. The cruise line should have the *nerve* to make sure people know to take a screaming baby or a rambunctious toddler OR an obnoxious adult OUT and enforce that.

Disruption is disruption and should not have to be tolerated.

I think that right there is the key to getting kids to sit through long dinners. Interact with them and enjoy each other's company. When my kids were really young we would play eye spy, tic tac toe, connect the dots, etc. to help the time pass for them. As they got older we included them in our conversations discussing things that they could relate to. Time flies when you are having fun :D.

I put 12 and older. I don't have a problem with kids in resturants and I feel for parents who's kids may be too young for camp carnival, but mom and dad still want a dinner experience, but there are many parents who don't parent so an age limit is there to make sure that they are at an age that has a better chance for self control.

My nephews would eat a steak dinner at about 9 or 10. (one already had an adult palate by the time he was 8) But even at 13 1/2 they still have to be managed in resturants sometimes. By twelve kids should be able to sit and eat in a resturant, but 2 hours might be a little much even then.

I put 12 and older. I don't have a problem with kids in resturants and I feel for parents who's kids may be too young for camp carnival, but mom and dad still want a dinner experience, but there are many parents who don't parent so an age limit is there to make sure that they are at an age that has a better chance for self control.

My nephews would eat a steak dinner at about 9 or 10. (one already had an adult palate by the time he was 8) But even at 13 1/2 they still have to be managed in resturants sometimes. By twelve kids should be able to sit and eat in a resturant, but 2 hours might be a little much even then.

So punish the parents who do parent and like to enjoy a dinner with their well-behaved children???

Under 16? Really? Just because they're under 16 doesn't mean they will act like "goats". The vast majority of children above toddler age have the ability to sit through dinner like a human being. Did yours not (if you have kids)? Did YOU not? I cannot imagine.

This sort of thing should be handled as a one-off. To put a policy in place to keep certain people out based on what some will do is ridiculous. To put a policy in place to keep certain people out, whether adult or child, who behave in ways that interrupt and interfere with others' dining experiences is completely sensible.

By the way, the man did approach the Carnival staff and they did nothing. They also approached the other passengers personally and they didn't leave.

I took my two boys since the ages on 8 and they have always thourghly ejoyed every aspect of the experience, never near an issue........now when they where 4 and 5 I wouldn't have even considered it.

Archived