Walkie talkies?

nighttrain66

We had SO much fun with these things. We bought a pair in Orlando and brought them aboard.

All you have to do is sit up on the sundeck with one walkie and say something like, "Oh my gosh, hurry! They're giving out t-shirts on the lido!! or Hurry! They just re-filled the bacon at the buffet!!"

It's like watching as old episode of rawhide...

We left them for the next folks to enjoy.

I take a small, stick up white board. When cruising with other another couple(s) - I stick it up outside our door with the days plans. It can also be used inside a cabin for notes to family. Your personal conversation - that I am going to be forced to listen to - is annoying but I have manners so I would not be bringing it to your attention.:cool:

My wife and I along with another couple are gonna be cruising in June and was wandering if anyone has any suggestions about what walkie talkies might work for communicating on the boat.

Any specific ratings I should look for?

If you guys have used a certain type that worked well, (or more importantly DID NOT work well) please post up,

thanks.

In 2008 my family and I took a cruise on Carnival. I purchased a set of walkie talkies (not very expensive) and it worked just fine. The only problem I encountered was making sure that I was on the same channel as my daughter was. You really don't need a very high priced one, but look for a good range. I was able to talk to her through the whole ship. I don't remember where I purchased them from, but it was either (1) Best Buy (2) Target (3) WalMart, but I believe it was Best Buy. Good luck and sorry I really wasn't too helpful.

nothing more annoying than someone on walkie talkie YELLING - can you hear me - ya, we all can. I was beside kids on the LIDO being little jerks telling their parents that they were in the arcade - I yelled where they were and parents were there in a heart beat. I remained to tell them exactly what their little darlings had been up to - needless to say I got hate stares from the kids every time they saw me. Being the juvenile that I am (60)- I stuck my tongue out at them and smiled.

:) Well, in fairness, I must admit that I think there are more annoying things than WTs on a ship, but they ARE on the list of very annoying things.

I just bought a set. Will let you know how they worked after this cruise.

The reason I got them is during our RCCL in October we got separated at Coco Cay. It was about two hours before we reconciled! Would have been a lot faster with these. :)

I called Verizon they said as long as you shut your cellular roaming off and your data off in your main setting you can text each other for 50 cents to send and 5 cents to receive. So a total of 55 cents per roundtrip text. if you do receive a phone call do not answer it and you will not be charged. If they leave a voice message do not answer it and there will not be any charges. If you do use voice on the phone it is $2.49 per minute Good luck

roaming charges at sea for Canadians is $7/min.:mad:

I always have a fear that my cell will mysteriously turn on while at sea, so I always pull the battery out of it!

I always bring walkies on board but my kids (in their 20's) tell me I am too old to be playing with toys like that and refuse to use them with me. lol.

I take a small, stick up white board. When cruising with other another couple(s) - I stick it up outside our door with the days plans. It can also be used inside a cabin for notes to family. Your personal conversation - that I am going to be forced to listen to - is annoying but I have manners so I would not be bringing it to your attention.:cool:

The day's plans? Sheesh. I don't know what I'm doing five minutes from now when I'm on vacation. I'm taking them because my friends have a cabin halfway across the ship, 7 levels down

Basic conversation:

"I just got done working out, where are you"

"Having a bloody mary at the lido pool bar"

"Ok be there in a minute"

Man, if that annoys somebody, they're probably really miserable people to vacation with

We have used them for years to keep track of our daughter. The current ones are Midland 1000 something. Can't remember the exact model. They work well but there are places you won't get a signal.

When our daughter changes locations or wants to join us she will call. Most "conversations" are ten seconds or less. We also know yelling into the radio does not make it work better. If they can't hear you when using a normal voice it's not going to work.

You can buy a set from Walmart.com that have a texting feature. Very handy. They are brand name trisquare I think.

I have these the TriSquare eXRS they worked great and they do have a text feature and vibrate feature. One of the best things are the custom channels, you can be on channel 13.5 so you have ot to your self. We were able to hear our kids in the arcade while we were on the lido deck. I believe we paid about $80.00 for them but that was a couple of years ago.

Kids are older now and only one going with us on this cruise, different colleges different spring breaks... Not gonna be the same without them, but I think we will will manage

Archived