Cruising with an older teen

pebblito

This is my first post, so if I make any etiquette faux pas, I apologize in advance.

I am married and we will be cruising with my DD who is 10 and my DS who is 17. We are planning our very first cruise (YAY!) and I have been agonizing over it, trying to find the right one for our family that fits our budget. I have been reading CC until I thought I would go blind! Anyway, here is my dilemma:

I am trying to decide between a few cruises. First is the RCI Freedom of the Seas to the western caribbean Dec. 8th. getting a deluxe ocenview with balcony cabin. Then, Norwegian came out with their kids sale free promo and I realised for over $1000 less, I can sale on the Pearl doing the western caribbean in a mini suite on Dec 8th as well. There's also the Epic which sales the eastern caribbean Dec. 7th for almost $1000 less than the Freedom as well.

So, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I expect my DD will love spending her time in the kid's camps, regardless of which ship we are on, so I am not worried about her. My son is another story. He is worried about being bored on the ship and I wonder if the Pearl has enough to keep him amused. He's not travelling with a friend, and he has some concern about meeting other teens he can hang out with. I realise there are teen clubs as well, but I'm not sure how much they're used by teens who are on the verge of being considered adults. To me, it seems like the RCI cruise is probably our best fit for activities, but it comes with a smaller cabin and a higher price tag-money that could be spent on excursions in port, which we plan to do.

Any thoughts?

This is my first post, so if I make any etiquette faux pas, I apologize in advance.

I am married and we will be cruising with my DD who is 10 and my DS who is 17. We are planning our very first cruise (YAY!) and I have been agonizing over it, trying to find the right one for our family that fits our budget. I have been reading CC until I thought I would go blind! Anyway, here is my dilemma:

I am trying to decide between a few cruises. First is the RCI Freedom of the Seas to the western caribbean Dec. 8th. getting a deluxe ocenview with balcony cabin. Then, Norwegian came out with their kids sale free promo and I realised for over $1000 less, I can sale on the Pearl doing the western caribbean in a mini suite on Dec 8th as well. There's also the Epic which sales the eastern caribbean Dec. 7th for almost $1000 less than the Freedom as well.

So, I am in a bit of a dilemma. I expect my DD will love spending her time in the kid's camps, regardless of which ship we are on, so I am not worried about her. My son is another story. He is worried about being bored on the ship and I wonder if the Pearl has enough to keep him amused. He's not travelling with a friend, and he has some concern about meeting other teens he can hang out with. I realise there are teen clubs as well, but I'm not sure how much they're used by teens who are on the verge of being considered adults. To me, it seems like the RCI cruise is probably our best fit for activities, but it comes with a smaller cabin and a higher price tag-money that could be spent on excursions in port, which we plan to do.

Any thoughts?

We faced a similar choice when we were looking for our last cruise. We were looking at NCL Epic and RCCL Oasis. Both same week, same itinerary, same 2 inside rooms. Oasis was $1000 more for the 4 of us. DS was 17 and DD was 14. For us $1000 was too big of a difference. We choose NCL Epic and did not regret it. My kids are not big on teen clubs. They went to the meet n greet and never went back. Both loved the entertainment. DS played in a Men's soccer tournament. We all got a kick out of bowling on a ship and playing pool in O'Sheehans (DS also loved the food there). DS was happy that he could wear basketball shorts and t-shirts to dinner. The more casual atmosphere was great for him. I only made him dress up (Dress pants and dress shirt...no tie or jacket) on "Dress up or not Night" when we got pictures taken and had dinner in the Manhattan MDR.

Take a look at the differences and see if they are worth the cost to you. It wasn't to us.

I think this really depends on your son's personality. Our last cruise was on HAL Eurodam in Europe and there were not many teens but my 18yr old son had a great time. I think they had a meet and greet for older teens. He went to the movie every night, the desert buffet, of course, he was old enough to gamble with grandma, he made a few friends and they went to the pool. I think he went to all the ballroom dancing classes taught by the ships dancers! He and I took a ship tour one sea day which he loved. My son is a quiet kid but also not afraid to do things alone. If you child is both shy and timid to venture out alone, he might have more trouble. I think if anyone is board on a cruise ship, it is their own fault. :p It has been our experience that teens do not hesitate to seek out other teens and make friends. I don't think any of them participate in the teen club at that age. Whatever you choose will be a wonderful experience for him! Enjoy your planning!

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking our 17 yr. old grandson and his 19 yr. old sister on a cruise this summer on FOS. We have taken them before to alaska on RCCL and they had NO problem making friends from day one. Lots of teens onboard. They made lifetime friends from all over and still keep in touch. They cannot wait to get back on the ship. They did meet many people in the teen areas at first. This time we are taking 15 family members from 5 - 75 years. The Adventure Ocean is fantastic for the younger ones. Great counselors with college degrees, young and exciting. You will not go wrong here.

Archived