First Time Cruiser Price Drops

lions1995

We have first time cruisers coming along with us on our June 16th cruise. They booked a few months ago and got a $50 reduction a few weeks ago. I told him about the sale and he paid $3400 for an 8B cabin and could get an 8E for $3005. When he called Carnival, they told him he already had one price drop and does not qualify for anymore. Does that sound right? Final payment isn't until 4/2.

We have first time cruisers coming along with us on our June 16th cruise. They booked a few months ago and got a $50 reduction a few weeks ago. I told him about the sale and he paid $3400 for an 8B cabin and could get an 8E for $3005. When he called Carnival, they told him he already had one price drop and does not qualify for anymore. Does that sound right? Final payment isn't until 4/2.

That sounds crazy to me. Was there some restriction on their fare that said they could get only one fare drop--never heard of that. What's to stop him from canceling and rebooking? If I were him I'd call back and see if he gets a different answer (unfortunately, that's often the case with Carnival's Customer Service reps). It seems to often help to mention you could just cancel and rebook to get the lower price, especially since it's before final payment.

Good luck!

Fareviewer is showing the Friends and Family Past Guest sale and also just Friends and Family Event sale (this one shows up even if you're not a past guest).

Just ran into this problem with my sister's room. Today Carnival denied her an upgrade (it's a really long story) because they said it is only for Past Guests even though it shows up when I don't select PG rates?

I don't know. I surrender. I'm so fed up right now with my whole booking. I posted a little of what is going on in another thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1812335

I don't want an upgrade #1 - because I really love my room, but also #2 - because I want to be near my sister and since they wouldn't upgrade her too, I'm not going to do it.

I'm getting a massive headache from all these fares and stuff!

Just ran into this problem with my sister's room. Today Carnival denied her an upgrade (it's a really long story) because they said it is only for Past Guests even though it shows up when I don't select PG rates?

I don't know. I surrender. I'm so fed up right now with my whole booking. I posted a little of what is going on in another thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1812335

I don't want an upgrade #1 - because I really love my room, but also #2 - because I want to be near my sister and since they wouldn't upgrade her too, I'm not going to do it.

I'm getting a massive headache from all these fares and stuff!

It shouldn't show up for non-past guests if they can't book it. Just one more example of the poor usability of Carnival's site! Ugh.

Why is everyone getting a price drop but me?

You'd have to give us more information for us to even begin to be able to answer that question. But, all sales don't benefit all passengers. There are a variety of reasons one cruise may be on sale and another isn't. For that matter, one category of cabin may be on sale and another category on the same ship and sailing may not be.

Are you regularly checking prices? I had one price drop about a week and a half ago that was available for only about an hour and then it was gone. You have to stay on top of it!

It shouldn't show up for non-past guests if they can't book it. Just one more example of the poor usability of Carnival's site! Ugh.

Yep!! Happened my first (and as of right now my only) price drop too. Little Sis didn't get one. They said their system is goofy and shows things it shouldn't. Ya think?!

Yep!! Happened my first (and as of right now my only) price drop too. Little Sis didn't get one. They said their system is goofy and shows things it shouldn't. Ya think?!

Truly unacceptable response! I do usability for a living and if I responded that way to one of our users, my manager would fire me, and rightfully so! Sheesh. :cool:

Truly unacceptable response! I do usability for a living and if I responded that way to one of our users, my manager would fire me, and rightfully so! Sheesh. :cool:

I agree. Sometimes I wonder what these people think. As far as the websites and answers from customer service, the only thing you can count on is that you never know what you're going to get. Call CS 3 times and you'll get 3 different answers.

Carnival is not alone unfortunately in this respect. Celebrity is the same way too.

I agree. Sometimes I wonder what these people think. As far as the websites and answers from customer service, the only thing you can count on is that you never know what you're going to get. Call CS 3 times and you'll get 3 different answers.

Carnival is not alone unfortunately in this respect. Celebrity is the same way too.

Really? I've never sailed Celebrity, but I have in my mind that they do a better job than Carnival. You've burst my bubble! LOL.

Why is everyone getting a price drop but me?

Possibly your cruise is still quite a ways off. Keep checking, though, and you might still see one.

Oh, and I'm sure happy fareviewer is now working again.

Archived