Cruise to Mexico with infant

BudweiserCouple

You don't need one, but we got one for our son at 6 months old because we didn't feel comfortable traveling without it. If something were to happen and we needed to fly back into the US, a passport would be necessary so we always travel with them. I'm not sure if a month would be enough time. I remember the process being quick, but not sure if you would get it in a month.

If you're cruising to and from the same US port and are a US citizen, you don't need a passport, just a birth certificate (and photo id for those 16 years and older). Some people get passports, some don't. In an emergency, a passport allows you to immediately fly home from a foreign port (or to a foreign port if you miss the ship). Without one, there will be some delay and extra expense, but you will still get home. Carnival was able to get the passport requirement immediately waived for all passengers on the Dream who flew to the US, but presumably it would not be that easy for an individual.

We did not get passports for our children. I wouldn't let a lack of passport stop you from cruising. My husband's renewed passport came within a month, but I wouldn't count on a new one arriving that fast.

Just make sure you bring your baby's government-issued birth certificate, not the one from the hospital. Our's were issued and stamped by the county clerk, but this varies from state to state.

My daughters passport took less than two weeks to arrive and i didnt pay extra for expedited service. Unfortunately i cant say that this will also be the case for you. You can always apply for a passport and get an extra certified birth certificate for your child in the event her passport doesnt come by the time you leave.

If you have a choice of birth certificate formats in your jurisdiction, get the "Long Form" i.e. the one that lists the parents' names in addition to the child's name. The "Long Form" BC is required to apply for a passport. The long form BC will increase your options in future, should you want to get a passport for the child at some point.

One easy thing that you can do is to get your infant a non-driver state ID.

Our children do not go out of the country often enough to have justified passports for all so we have only bought them for those who needed them the most. We won a trip to Mexico ( by air) once when we had an infant. At the time, passports were not required but we decided that we would feel better about coming BACK into the U.S. if we had the I.D. ( big media on child trafficking ) Some years later, we did the same thing for the rest of our children for our Hawaii cruise.

One easy thing that you can do is to get your infant a non-driver state ID.

Our children do not go out of the country often enough to have justified passports for all so we have only bought them for those who needed them the most. We won a trip to Mexico ( by air) once when we had an infant. At the time, passports were not required but we decided that we would feel better about coming BACK into the U.S. if we had the I.D. ( big media on child trafficking ) Some years later, we did the same thing for the rest of our children for our Hawaii cruise.

That is an interesting idea, however, I want to point out for the benefit of others who may not know, that a state ID will not suffice for a child to cruise today. A birth certificate is the minimum, and a passport card or passport book would also work.

From www.getyouhome.gov

Children: Beginning June 1, 2009, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under age 16 arriving by land or sea from contiguous territory may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card.

Which cruise are you doing - 3, 4 or 7 dayer?

If only doing the Ensenada cruises I'd probably just use the BC. Ensenada is 75 miles below the border.

If taking the longer 7day cruise to Cabo I'd get the passport.

(I'm assuming being from AZ you will be sailing out of SoCal.)

Archived