rules for the kids

My boys ages 14 and almost 16 are pretty good, but they can get carried away like any teen. We expect all this of them but the "contract" is a great idea.

I remember last cruise, I entered an elevator where are group of teen boys were just leaving. My hands were full, I was almost tipping. I get into to the elevator and these kids have pushed every button!!! I yelled out Come ON guys! much to their delight as they ran laughling down the hall. It was kind of funny, but a big pain in the doopah. Ugh.

We also expect them to stay together. They are 18 months apart and best friends, so it shouldn't be an issue, but it will be reiterated.

My boys ages 14 and almost 16 are pretty good, but they can get carried away like any teen. We expect all this of them but the "contract" is a great idea.

I remember last cruise, I entered an elevator where are group of teen boys were just leaving. My hands were full, I was almost tipping. I get into to the elevator and these kids have pushed every button!!! I yelled out Come ON guys! much to their delight as they ran laughling down the hall. It was kind of funny, but a big pain in the doopah. Ugh.

We also expect them to stay together. They are 18 months apart and best friends, so it shouldn't be an issue, but it will be reiterated.

*LOL*

Not too long ago my mom was telling me a story how she was waiting for an elevator. The doors opened and two kids ran out past them . As my

mom was getting in the kid yelled "Have a nice ride lady" She just thought they were being dopey kids, until she looked at the panel and saw every button was pushed. :) And she was going to the 10 th floor. *LOL*

I started laughing . My mom who knows nothing of Cruise Critic and doesn't know that elevator button pushing is one of the 4 signs of The Apocolypse like we do here :) didn't find it as funny.

My mother comes from that generation that trained their kids with "Knock Outs" rather than "Time Outs" *LOL*

Thank God she didn't catch that kid , I would be flying down to Florida to bail her out............Hmmmmm the way the weather here in Connecticut has been that actually wouldn't be a bad idea

luv2cruz 74- I love your "rules" and although have never made my children sign anything- we have had the same understanding with them prior to each trip. I especially like to encourage them to try different foods while on a cruise, things we normally wouldn't eat at home. One thing you didn't mention is if the will have charging privileges on their sea passes. A previous poster mentioned this in their list, but we set an amount they are allowed to spend for the week. We get them the soda card and then they have X amount to spend. This includes arcade, ice cream or cupcakes, souvenirs, etc.

I'd add,

*You must have one ice cream per day.

*You must swim once a day.

*You must use the stairs at least 3 out of the 5 day cruise.

*You must find 8 shells.

* You must belly laugh at least one time during the cruise.

We had our kids (13 & 9) spend 10-20 mins every night journaling, I put prompts at the top of each page (thinking ahead to what are plans were before we left) I told them it had to be happy things they wanted to remember forever.....now almost 21 & 18 they look back at the journals and pictures and really have fun reliving the cruise!!

Have a ton of fun!!!

That's a great idea. I would be very interested in hearing what they would come up with. (Although I can promise you they don't mind having their pictures taken!)

I was thinking the same thing about my 3 girls. I decided to purchase the unlimited photo package this year to save money LOL.

We haven't told our kids -5,10, and 12 yet about the cruise but when we do the first part is all about the ship, fun ,etc. the next part will be rules I like your positive spin too. I've written something similar and add to it if needed. Dh and I will discuss. One thing I wanted for them to also do is "earn" spending money like doing odd jobs around house, neighborhood jobs. So this way they appreciate respect the dollar. We are already spending enough and I know I'm going to hear I want I want. There won't be many limits on food/beverage except foofoo drinks for them.. But safety number one, checking in, following instruction, disrespect and of course a consequence to follow like stuck with us all day for the day no friends. I plan on having them eat with us too, but can be flexible for two older kids little one we are going to sign up for adventure club to do dinner pickup. I don't think they need to sign it but I will bring it on the cruise as a reminder so if one of the rules is broken it will be a lot easier to get my point across. I like the ideas here that I didn't think of. E.g. Drinks, cabin etc.

Archived