Le Levant - comments

its_my_dime

We just returned from a 2 week trip on Le Levant, a 90 passenger French ship usually chartered to groups for voyages to off-the-beaten-path destinations. Le Levant should probably be compared to other small ships. If, on a 1-10 scale, the SeaDream and Seabourn are in the 9-10 range; the Windstar and Windsurf in the 7-8 range and the Clipper Odyssey and Clipper Adventurer in the 5-6 range (many think higher), then we would, unfortunately, rate Le Levant as only a 3-4 for many reasons:

Cabins: Adequate sized with adequate storage but really shoddily furnished. Uncomfortable beds. Some drawers & doors didn’t close. Multiple vibrations when underway. Air conditioning uneven. Intership TV/music frequently not functioning.

Food: on a P-F-G-VG-E scale, rates a “good” with deserts as “VG”. Fancy French but heavy rather than elegant. Oversalted.

DR Service: Staff tried hard but any slight deviation from the menu was a crisis. Glassware was filthy for the first week until guest complaints caused them to fix the dish washing machine.

Public Areas: Nice main lounge. Pathetic “gym”. Crowded breakfast/lunch dining area. Only 2 outside dining tables.

Alcohol: Low quality table wine included with meals. Drinks expensive (5-6 Euros).

General noise: A noisy ship especially in the dining room while underway and the rear of the lounge.

Overall attitude: Ship run for the benefit of the staff, not the passengers. Afternoon tea set out at 4:00 pm even if the group wasn’t expected back until 5:00 pm. Pool deck chairs never unstacked. Service people frequently unhelpful or lacked knowledge. Overall staff training appeared weak. Didn’t seem to be a happy ship.

Zinger: After we booked and paid for the trip, we were apologetically told by our tour manager that the ship had decided to add a $10/day/person "fuel surcharge", billed to our onboard account.

Conclusion: We would not sail on Le Levant again unless it were the only way to see a particular destination. Even then, we might pass.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for the comments- the brochures look great - I differ with your ratings of the Clipper Odyssey - I rate it with Sea Dream--although different. We found the food great and both the expidition staff , the ABs, and the hotel staff to be willing to do nearly anything within thier control to make your trip great.

• 3 years later...

I do disagree. Having cruised on Seabourn and Le Levant, I do find the french ship to be much superior in terms of decoration and confort. Perfect and, inmaculate state, discerning noble interiors not like the Seabourn which was good, but sometimes a bit tired. I wouldn´t call her shoddy at all.

Food is second to none on the Le Levant, and of course one feels the motion. It´s a fast boat, which takes you almos flying over the seas. Comparable to Seabourn in service and standards, nicer ship and much, much cheaper.

• 4 months later...

Le Levant is not a luxury ship, just a little bit chic.

So it can´t be compared in price to other luxury cruise company. In some aspects, as food on the other hand is much better than most luxury companies I have been on.

• 1 year later...

It is a real shame that this old review from 2005 is the only relevant one on this board for Le Levant. I just returned from a wonderful 8-day cruise through the Aegean with 20 friends and we had a marvelous time. Unlike this post, we found the ship to be spotlessly clean, to be almost eerily quiet when underway and perfectly silent at anchor with staterooms that are spacious and comfortable (but no balconies, of course), to have a tremendously engaging and gracious staff, and to have delicious cuisine.

I have many cruises with Regent/Radisson and Silversea, and this experience was decidedly different. It is a very friendly environment going to marvelous locations that the larger ships can't visit. The crew learned everyone's name within 24 hours of boarding. It is not elegant in a jewels and tuxedos for dinner way, but really is like voyaging on your private yacht with some friends and not at all like a planned cruise. We only wore ties on the first night at the Captain's welcome, otherwise it was very casual. The open bridge policy means that you can visit the captain and crew 24-7. And the captain really works, including helping each passenger into the Zodiacs for shore landings!

There were 56 passengers aboard and 56 crew...a ratio that no cruise line can beat!

It is an excellent choice for a relaxed and stylish vacation on your yacht.

Archived