Upgrades are they value ?

we've paid the balance on our cruise and sailing end of June. Last year we were phoned regularly by Thomson nearer the siling date asking us to upgrade various elements . we did in the end upgrade our cabin which i'm glad we did as we had a lovely cabin ... But .. generally are the offered upgrades value for money or just to suit Thomson to sort out pre booked cabins etc as for instance we have pre booked a cabin but its 4 birth and only 2 traveling.

any experiences of pressured to change / upgrade ?

Hi,

We go our first cruise in May, as a surprise to my mum I called and asked for an upgrade but was told there was no higher grade cabins available. (Booked an outside plus). But told to call nearer the cruise just in case anyone has cancelled.

I then went onto the Thomson website and searched for the very same cruise and you wouldn't believe it delux cabins and suites were coming up. I presume they want to keep the cabins for anyone booking a cruise. Might get one yet.

Have a great holiday.:)

Hi,

We go our first cruise in May, as a surprise to my mum I called and asked for an upgrade but was told there was no higher grade cabins available. (Booked an outside plus). But told to call nearer the cruise just in case anyone has cancelled.

I then went onto the Thomson website and searched for the very same cruise and you wouldn't believe it delux cabins and suites were coming up. I presume they want to keep the cabins for anyone booking a cruise. Might get one yet.

Have a great holiday.:)

I think that is pretty bad to treat a customer in that way :(. If they are available you should be able to book one.

we've paid the balance on our cruise and sailing end of June. Last year we were phoned regularly by Thomson nearer the siling date asking us to upgrade various elements . we did in the end upgrade our cabin which i'm glad we did as we had a lovely cabin ... But .. generally are the offered upgrades value for money or just to suit Thomson to sort out pre booked cabins etc as for instance we have pre booked a cabin but its 4 birth and only 2 traveling.

any experiences of pressured to change / upgrade ?

In the past, when we pre-booked our cabins, i had a list of cabins i was wanting (always best to have a few in mind, in case the one you choose is already gone), the first empty one was a 4 birth cabin, the operator warned me that i could book it, but if it was required for a booking of 3 or 4 people, i would be re-allocated, so i chose one that was not 3/4 birth in the end, just to make sure.

Fully agree Neil, I would have been willing to pay a bit extra for a wee treat but thomsons loss.

Surprised Thomson did this, after all, they would sell the upgrade at the full cost (no special deals after booking), so it would be them losing out.

Maybe the operator just got it wrong (or couldn't be bothered to do it)? Often calling and speaking to someone else gets a dofferent response (that goes for most companies, down to the operator knowing what they are doing and being bothered to do it).

In the past, when we pre-booked our cabins, i had a list of cabins i was wanting (always best to have a few in mind, in case the one you choose is already gone), the first empty one was a 4 birth cabin, the operator warned me that i could book it, but if it was required for a booking of 3 or 4 people, i would be re-allocated, so i chose one that was not 3/4 birth in the end, just to make sure.

This happened to me as well, but as it was not during school holidays it was felt that it was safe to do so. During school holidays there will be more pressure for 4 bedded cabins due to children sharing with parents. The 4 bed outside plus cabin was exactly the same as the 3 bed cabin we had had previously, but with 2 wall mounted fold up beds instead of 1.

Archived