First time cruiser looking for Roatan advice

foil7102

Booked our first cruise ever, NCL out of New Orleans in March of next year. Researching the excursions through NCL I dont see anything that is quite right for this stop. Want to do snorkling and maybe a little fishing, my question is should I go for the Ship wreck Snorkeling and beach break through island marketing, or should I book some snorkling and fishing activities through Fosters, or is there a better idea? Any recomenadations appreciated or insights from anyone who has been there. THANK YOU in advance

Booked our first cruise ever, NCL out of New Orleans in March of next year. Researching the excursions through NCL I dont see anything that is quite right for this stop. Want to do snorkling and maybe a little fishing, my question is should I go for the Ship wreck Snorkeling and beach break through island marketing, or should I book some snorkling and fishing activities through Fosters, or is there a better idea? Any recomenadations appreciated or insights from anyone who has been there. THANK YOU in advance

Snorkeling at West Bay Beach in Roatan is amazing. Better than any other island I've been to in the Caribbean. Not to be missed. We had our own snorkel stuff so just got a taxi to the beach. Accessed the beach beside Banarama where there is a free right of way. One way or another, I'd be trying to do some snorkeling.

Its a NCL cruise, we will be stopping at Roatan from 8am to 4pm. We should be able to get off of the boat quickly as we are in a penthouse.

1) Is this enought time? I have seen recomendations on taking a cab over, how long does the trip back and forth take

2) Is Fosters my best option, or is there another, better place on the West Bay?

3) Is it worth it to pay someone to take us out snorkling or is snorkling off the beach just as good? Are there rentals, or should I haul my own fins.

4) How is the food, although I guess this goes back to the whole, is there another better option nearby

5) If we do pick Fosters, would they be willing to combine a snorkle outing with a little bit of fishing, say, one hour snorkle, with two hours of fishing

6) Should I be looking at a different part of the island? Really I have never been there, or spoken to anyone who has been there, interested in a good snorkle first, and good beach second, and a little fishing if the opportunity arises last.

NCL will dock in Coxen Hole I believe...... so taxi to West Bay about 25 + or - minutes. Depends on traffic thru Coxen Hole.

West Bay Beach is about 3/4 + miles long. Resorts, cafes, etc. all along it. We never get a "package" from one place just because we like to walk along and plop down wherever we feel the urge. We also don't like to limit where we are going to eat opting instead to again - plop down where something looks good.

As a side note: not sure what you mean by "better" place - better how ?

If you choose Fosters - you can walk down the beach a bit (towards the iguana wall) and just walk in to snorkel. Best area in the Caribbean. The reef (meso-American reef) is close and is second only to the great Barrier reef in Australia. There are rentals - but really? do you want to use a snorkel off the beach of a 3rd world country ? not me.

Now- as for the fishing. This whole are is marine preserve. You are not to take anything. Not a shell, not a fish or anything. Stiff fines for doing so. So if you are intent on fishing - you will need to hire a boat to take you out past the preserve limits.

We have been to Roatan a couple of times for a week stay after visiting once on a cruise. We fell in love with it and hope to return a lot more. The whole island is gorgeous and the people are friendly. But the West Bay area is really the nicest beach and the best reef area for snorkeling.

Yeah I am with Texas on the one Better How?

Many people believe the snorkeling off of Tabyana to be very good indeed.

I like Foster's it is the quiet end of West Bay, it is easy enough to walk down past Infinity if you want to do that.

One of Foster's employees, Daniel, is a very nice island guy who takes people out in his little boat to snorkel between West Bay and West End, he gets in the water with you to point things out and takes a life ring if anyone needs a bit extra help. He may have fishing equipment but I have not seen any. The fishing is not great.. I had chats with several people who were out last march they didn't catch anything.

I don't go for the food, it is all fine.. just nothing to write home about.

I don't know enough about NCL... Coxen Hole is about 20 mins from West Bay.. Mahogany Bay is 45 mins.

If we didn't get your questions answered.. ask again.. we prolly just missed something.

Thank you both, no that is exactly the information I was looking for. As for better how I just did not want to hear (You went there?? the place next door serves beer for 50 cents, and the lobster tail is made by a french chef, and oh yeah, they have real mer people in the bay in front of the place) :) You know, just wanted to make sure that there was not a no miss place in the area. I really just want a good snorkle and a shaded seat on the beach. Quiet side sounds just what i am looking for.

Thank you both, no that is exactly the information I was looking for. As for better how I just did not want to hear (You went there?? the place next door serves beer for 50 cents, and the lobster tail is made by a french chef, and oh yeah, they have real mer people in the bay in front of the place) :) You know, just wanted to make sure that there was not a no miss place in the area. I really just want a good snorkle and a shaded seat on the beach. Quiet side sounds just what i am looking for.

I will say that it is all relative. What is "better" to one person is not so to another.

There are a few places along the beach where you will find local beers for $2

Good beer too.

As for food - I do go for the food (among all the other things) and while I don't necessarily expect gourmet items (they are there tho) I want something tasty and at a good price.

We try to eat all over the place (one reason we don't do all inclusives) and I will say that one of our favorites is the Palapa Bar/Restaurant at Infinity Bay (where we stay). They have some lobster nachos that are yum. Also the taco salad at Bananarama was pretty tasty too. Both places allow you on the property if you wish to eat without purchasing a day pass or anything.

You will be blown away by the snorkeling !!!!! We are divers and the diving there is the best we have done (and we have dove in a lot of places !)

Have fun :D

I do have another question, am I missing something? I see several "excursions" that pick you up at the boat dock, snorkle and let you hang out at west bay beach for 35 a person. Looking at the boards, it looks like a round trip cab ride is going to cost me at least that for the DW and I. Plus the cost of anything else once I am there. Seems cheaper to go with one of the pre-booked things. I would have thought that would have been more expensive.

I do have another question, am I missing something? I see several "excursions" that pick you up at the boat dock, snorkle and let you hang out at west bay beach for 35 a person. Looking at the boards, it looks like a round trip cab ride is going to cost me at least that for the DW and I. Plus the cost of anything else once I am there. Seems cheaper to go with one of the pre-booked things. I would have thought that would have been more expensive.

It actually works out about the same sometimes. A taxi should cost 25. each way then rent a chair/lounger 5.00 each so you are at 70.00

But - you will be on a bus with a lot more people..... waiting on them and then you must come back when the bus does..... DIY you can control your day. Come back earlier or later. Take a water taxi to West End village from West Bay beach and then a taxi to the port from there (I highly recommend this)

But for 35.00 a person and all you want to do is spend a bit of time on the beach and go back to the ship..... perhaps is best for you.

Of course it all depends on where they take you ?

I agree for the price the inclusive excursion is a good deal. West Bay is not so big a place that you can't get to another spot of you are not happy with where you are taken.

A taxi is going to cost you more then $25 each way.. they do it per person from the cruise ship. Taxi rates are not regulated so you may well be all kinds of taken advantage on that score if you are not up to haggling.

I personally prefer the price to be the price so I know exactly what I am in for.. if you wish to do things more on your own have a chat with a few of the tour companies. They also do per person and often times the price is not so much more to have a private local English speaking driver.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few videos of Roatan (some from the ship balcony) on YouTube : user name spleenstomper.

Nearly a year later, I'm still conflicted about Roatan. It is so beautiful, but it is shockingly shockingly poor. I think if I went again, we'd stay at Mahagony Bay, but I am glad we say the level of poverty there. I'm glad the kids saw it too. I have given money since then to help the poor in Roatan.

If you are open to seeing desperate situations, venture out. If you don't want third world problems creeping into your relaxing vacation then stay at the pier.

Honduras (the mainland) is the murder capital of the world.

I think taxi vs ship excursion is dependent on how adventurous you feel....I always just walk out, find a driver and negotiate, last trip it was $20 each way for 2 people from mahogany bay (carnivals private port and waste of money IMO).

We went to west end which is comparable to west bay, but less crowded and more geared to diving and snorkeling. Plenty of beach and lots of bars/shops/restraints. Not as many "resorts" in west end. You have lots of time so you can even use the water taxi, $5 between west bay and west end. If you go to west end head to sundowners, you can use there loungers and beach area for the cost of a beer, also a great place to snorkel. Planning a week long trip for my next visit and will be staying in west end for diving and water sports....

• 2 months later...
Can you rent snorkeling fins at the beach ?

To be safer just go to Walmart or a sports store and buy your own they come in a set for abut $50 and then you know they are clean and you are the only one that uses them.

Archived