different tipping question

prettybeth

I was reading the other thread and realized, I have no idea how much I should tip for half day and full day Celebrity sponsored tours? The last time I cruised, my parents were with us and they paid it. Thanks.

With me it depends on how many people are involved in the excursion, and how much interaction I had with them. But generally I tip about $10 for a short excursion and $20 if it's longer than 3 - 4 hours. I try to split it up among the people giving the excursion. If I get exceptional service or something I think is special I will bump it up a little.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Agree with Terri - we try to tip at least $10 and up to $20 for a half day, 2-3 hour tour, for two of us. If we plan ahead, we'll carry $5 bills, so that we can put everything into a single tip jar if it's clear that it will be shared. If there's any question about it being shared, as when there's a bus/van driver and a separate guide who don't seem to really be part of the same operation, we'll make sure to hand the driver $5 separately and then give $10 to the guide. We certainly don't think anyone would be dishonest, but just want to make sure everyone gets their share! Those tips can mean a lot for some of the "behind the scenes" people.

There are never enough days at sea!

Coming from Australia, where tipping is really not really all that common or expected, can someone point me in the direction of a website or something that will give me some information on who we MUST tip? I know all about tipping while on the ship from this board (thank you!), but I hadn't figured on tipping for shore excursions - which just shows that tipping is just not part of the mindset here, or at least not mine. I don't want to do the wrong thing and upset anyone, so I need some help please. Any advice?

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;07;23;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Until Summit 23 July 2004

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

If you are on a ship organised excursion usually about $5 a couple for a half day tour and $10 per couple for a full day tour. Not everybody tips though and its not expected.

On a privately organised excursion I would tip 10% of what the total price of the excursion - you'll be fine.

Mazza -

We tip our cab drivers about 10-15% of the cost of our trip, tour guides as stated in previous posts, porters that help with your luggage $1-2 per bag (depending on how big the bags are!), and sometimes waiters on the islands (sometimes service is included, so check if you aren't sure so you don't tip too much), and we tip sales people that are clearly working on a commission (for example, at the liquor store where they are assisting you with your choices). However, this is just us, and is, for the most part, not required (excepting porters and wait staff).

Sorry that I don't know about a web site with this information, but maybe if you go to a search engine and type in "Tipping", it might provide some guidelines. You could also try finding the Dear Abby webpage or hints from Heloise webpage as they usually have a list on there.

Good luck!

-----------------

"When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you'll understand just why you came this way."

Archived