Not happy in port canaveral

jimo

I don't get the impression that everyone is trying to protect Carnival. To me this just seem like a bunch of people anxious to start their vacation. It is not Carnival's fault that check-out time is 11 at most hotels. Their concern is what THEIR check-in time is. This is a lot of blabber about nothing. The delay was all blown out of proportion.

Most people would be annoyed to wait and have no explanation why. A simple notification of what is happening can go a long way in keeping people calm.

This is a cruise critic site yet lately anytime someone posts any kind of complaint they get attacked and blamed regardless of the situation. The cruise line could save a lot of frustration by just communicating information.

People here are ridiculous and defend the line like it is a family member. It is a business that does make mistakes.

I completely agree with this post. This is the major problem with Cruise Critic. . .too many know-it-all Carnival cheerleaders who refuse to admit that Carnival has some extremely serious problems and need to get their crap together. You would think that with as many problems as they have had over the past few months, they would be trying to avoid pissing people off any further. If there is a problem, then they need to relay it people honestly and quickly.

I completely agree with this post. This is the major problem with Cruise Critic. . .too many know-it-all Carnival cheerleaders who refuse to admit that Carnival has some extremely serious problems and need to get their crap together. You would think that with as many problems as they have had over the past few months, they would be trying to avoid pissing people off any further. If there is a problem, then they need to relay it people honestly and quickly.

Hey, I never got picked as a cheerleader in high school (now basketball was a different story), glad to know I can still be one at 47!!! :D:p:eek:

Seriously though, just like a military base, the ships must comply with all rules, inspections and delays in port, they don't own it ya know. :rolleyes:

Give me an F, give me an L, give me a an O, give me an R, give me an I, give me an D, give me an A! GO GATORS... Beat Michigan! ;)

Happy Sailing,

San Juan used to have a "stand outside and queue" system too. That was a nightmare. At least it was nice out, but it was hot and some people couldn't take it so they ended up confirming everyone's ID and then doing the check-in in the lounge.

That run was a midnight (I think midnight) departure and I don't think they expected people to show up en masse in the afternoon. Why, I'm not sure.

Don't know when you went but most San Juan cruises allow pax to check-in all day. We got back off the ship and explored Old San Juan. They treat it like a port stop.

Told by Carnival or by 100% of the Cruse Critic members who answer the question about how to respond to an e-mail people receive (from CCL) about coming at a later than originally planned??

Since I posted that directly above the FAQ from Carnival.com, I can only assume you are being deliberately obtuse.

There was no long delay. Passengers arrived hours before their boarding times and they had to wait. People are getting bent out of shape for nothing.
Exactly! And I am not cheerleading for the company. I am telling the people who ignore directions and do whatever the hell they want that they lose their right to complain about the result.

Most people would be annoyed to wait and have no explanation why. A simple notification of what is happening can go a long way in keeping people calm.

This is a cruise critic site yet lately anytime someone posts any kind of complaint they get attacked and blamed regardless of the situation. The cruise line could save a lot of frustration by just communicating information.

People here are ridiculous and defend the line like it is a family member. It is a business that does make mistakes.

Where is that like button when you need one!:D

I'm glad I don't let such minor things bother me. How in the does the OP deal with major life issues?

Stuff happens, just relax, take a breath and try to start your vacation on a happy note. Not gonna get much sympathy here since Carnival was pretty close to their official embarkation time anyways.

Future advice- you think cruise ship delays are bad, try flying in the winter time. Enjoy.

boarding could have started at 5pm and you would get no sympathy here.

Bill:)

Since I posted that directly above the FAQ from Carnival.com, I can only assume you are being deliberately obtuse.

Exactly! And I am not cheerleading for the company. I am telling the people who ignore directions and do whatever the hell they want that they lose their right to complain about the result.

Well put...

I am one of the folks who shows up at 10AM for all of our cruises.

But I also know that doing that, I am taking a chance that they let us on earlier than the stated 1:30PM embarkation.

And for the person who said they have never been let on before 11:30...

I think in 12 Carnival cruises we have only embarked after noon, one time.

Usually between 11:15 and 11:30.

On the Dream in late December, we were unpacking in our Cove balcony right at the stroke of 11AM....

Bill

How many people have come here saying they got a letter that says don't arrive at the port until 1:30pm and how many people say oh no you can just disregard that. They only send those letters so that everyone doesn't arrive at the port at the same time. I think that was his point.

And IMO the point is not that they couldn't board right away. When you have thousands of people standing around not going anywhere it would be beneficial to all involved to announce something explaining what the hold up is. People tend to be more accepting if they know what is going on vs standing around clueless.

And I am not cheerleading for the company. I am telling the people who ignore directions and do whatever the hell they want that they lose their right to complain about the result.

Go look at the number of posts on here about emails from carnival to arrive in the afternoon and how many responses are ignore them.

How long after noon do people have to wait for boarding before the cruise line has an obligation to tell them when they will be able to start their vacations?

How many people have come here saying they got a letter that says don't arrive at the port until 1:30pm and how many people say oh no you can just disregard that?

Go look at the number of posts on here about emails from carnival to arrive in the afternoon and how many responses are ignore them.

Careful, folks . . . she doesn't like that analogy (valid as it may be).

Eh, lots of back and forth here, but logically...

Carnival wouldn't start the boarding process as early as 10:30 am if they didn't WANT to do so. The fact is, if everyone showed up for embarkation between 1:30 and 3:30 as instructed by email and phone messages, things would be a lot more crowded and chaotic.

It is not in anyone's interest for Carnival to try to check in 4000 or 5000 visitors in 120 minutes. That's silly, and it's silly to pretend that people are "breaking the rules" by coming early. What -- are the porters, bag scanners, guards, and other staff all whimpering in fear because passengers showed up early, forcing them against their wills to start the embarkation process? Not from what I've ever seen.

They're in a balancing act, trying to nudge the few people who take that notice seriously into a later time slot, so they can spread out the boarding process over the four hours that are typically available.

Careful, folks . . . she doesn't like that analogy (valid as it may be).

Guess I better not tell anyone we have been known to smuggle a box of wine onboard.icon7.gif

BTW all Carnival had to do is say boarding will commence at 12 30 and everyone is happy.

Don't believe I've ever seen them boarding a ship at 10:30 whether they want to or not. Feel free to show up whenever you prefer. I've always thought they do a pretty good job. I've posted before that I thought it was silly to show up early so we can sit and wait.

I 1000% understand and agree! :D

We showed up at 3:30 for our Pride cruise and you could have fired a canon in the terminal and not hit anyone. We were through security and check-in and unpacking in our cabin in under half an hour. :cool:

You cut that pretty close. You are lucky you didn't miss boarding.

Bill

In many cases the hold-up is the people who think they can take their sweet time getting off the ship from the previous cruise. The ship has to be cleared of passengers from the last cruise before they can start boarding for the next cruise.

I suspect that a lot of the people taking their sweet time getting off the ship are the same ones whom arrive hours early and complain when the ship isn't ready for them.

Don't believe I've ever seen them boarding a ship at 10:30 whether they want to or not. Feel free to show up whenever you prefer. I've always thought they do a pretty good job. I've posted before that I thought it was silly to show up early so we can sit and wait.

I don't think people often step onto the ship by 10:30 am no matter how smoothly things go, but passengers do begin the process of handing over bags to porters, going through the scanners, and checking in by then. On Liberty, if I remember correctly, I arrived by 10:40 am and was on the ship by 11:05 am.

Also, there's FTTF with priority boarding, which has diminished value if Carnival allows you to proceed to your cabin before the normal time of 1:30 pm, but you're expected to comply with their notice to arrive between 1:30 and 3:30 pm. A little misleading if they really intend to enforce the rules.

In my opinion people won't be satisfied with a statement like "sorry folks, slight delay in boarding, hopefully it won't be too long and we'll get you all started on your cruise" People want to hear "sorry folks, bob smith didn't have his passport updated so we're delayed with him getting off the ship so you can blame him for the delay, oh and we ran out of dod glasses and are waiting for the shipment to be dropped to the ship"

It could be the slightest thing but people just aren't satisfied unless they know word for word or an itemized list of why, they need to know exact details, names, dates, times and every bit of info. If they aren't announcing my cruise is cancelled I don't need to know every little detail of why for every little thing. Maybe someone was ill or something medical happened. If that is the case it is none of my business and maybe the people involved prefer to not have it announced at the port.

Archived