Carnival Magic - Spring Break March 10-17, 2013

tburk97

I thought I would share our cruise experience with everyone. It was DH, DD (6) and myself on our first cruise ever. We booked Cabin 7270 about 3 weeks before the cruise left port in Galveston.

Overall, we had a great time for our first experience. We went without any expectations and wanted to have a good time. Having booked Cabin 7270, it gave us VIP or priority embarkation along with Zone 1 debarkation. It was great as there was no wait to board the ship, however we did get to Galveston around 11:00 as we were not too sure how the whole process was going to happen with parking, baggage, etc...

The weather was horrible that day as it was raining and windy. We did decide on parking with the Port of Galveston because my husband has a Disabled Veteran plate and they offer free parking. Free was good for us and it turned out to be a very easy process. He dropped us off at the terminal and porters greeted us and took all our checked bags. I did learn that we didn't have to carry-on our soda/water as it was packed in a separate suitcase. They took it along with all our other bags which was very nice.

DD and I waited for DH to return after parking the car and taking the shuttle back to the terminal. We did not have to wait very long, maybe 15 minutes or so. We then proceeded to check-in with no wait. Sign/Sail cards and pictures and off we went onto to the Carnival Magic!

We went to the Lido deck to have lunch first. We found the buffet and food overall throughout the trip as good or average. There was not a particular dish we waited to try again. There was always something to eat but keep track of the time of different places opening and closing. We did enjoy the Deli in the aft of the ship with the Panini's. Very good for us! We did choose to eat in the dining room each evening and able to order as much or little on the menu provided each evening. We were seated at table with 3 other families, each with only 1 child like us. It was nice to meet them and see familiar faces on the ship from time to time.

The seas were rather rough the first day and half. We traveled along with the storm we arrived in at Galveston. The ship was swaying back and forth from time and time but really not bad at all. Since I had a fear of getting sea sick, I took Bonine the entire time on the ship and did not have a single problem even with the rough seas. Everyone that had cruised before said normally you never feel a thing and it was very unusual. Good to know as I didn't have a problem with what was considered rough.

The ports were decent enough for us to enjoy. We decided not to book any excursions as I had found on this web site many ideas and suggestions to do vs. booking through the ship. We ended having a great time with each adventure we decided to do. When we were at Freeport, we simply got off the ship and shopped a little right at the port and went back onto the ship to enjoy the fantastic SplashWorks area. Our DD loved it and spent about 4 hours that afternoon with miminal folks choosing to do the same. No wait for the waterslides which were a blast for kids and adults!

The staff on the ship were great! They worked non-stop to ensure everything was spotless as they could keep it. It is amazing to hear the stories of many of the service people lives and how they work on the ship. We chatted with serval of them only to realize we as Americans really do have it made in our country.

Overall, we were glad we booked this ship and went on it for Spring Break. Our DD loved Camp Carnival. She is really shy and we were not sure if she would go but after the first time she tired it for a couple of hours, she kept asking to go. We were happy for her to have a place to have fun with other kids her age.

We are now hooked on cruising!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to the wonderful world of cruising.

I am enjoying your first impression of The Magic. We were on her March 2012, also Spring Break but being in our 60s we didn't have kids along.

Please continue with your review and include photos if you can.

Now that you are hooked, have you started looking for your next cruise? Next time, sign up for the "Behind the Fun" tour when you board. You'll see many of the places passengers normally don't get see and get a feel for how the ship functions behind the scenes. Also, you may want to try either a Christmas or New Years Eve cruise--we've done both and they are really great.

Here's hoping your next cruise is as great as the last. Bon Voyage!

Archived