El Yunque in San Juan - worth it or not?

lekisha20

I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not El Yunque is worth the 40 minute drive from the port. We plan to rent a car drive there and hike it. We would ideally like a little time to get back and explore/have lunch in San Juan. The port times are 7a - 3:30p.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or experiences?

We rented a car after our cruise and drove there. I really enjoyed it, well worth some hiking. Most likely will be hot, humid, wet and muddy but, there is great natural beauty, too.

Some beautiful waterfalls and places to jump in the inviting water, although we didn't enter the water. Really, how often do you get to visit a rainforest?

The only time we ever did this was on a ship's excursion when we had a late flight out of San Juan.

They picked us up at the ship (along with our luggage), took us to El Yunque for a so-so tour, and afterward took us directly to the airport. It gave us something to do but we wouldn't care to do it again.

As STU mentioned, you can get additional information by going to Ports of Call.

LuLu

~~~~

For those willing to get a rental car, it gives you the freedom to tour as you wish, on your own timeline. It is a bit of a drive and we made it without incident even though we weren't even sure if we were on the right route the whole way. Its definitely something I'd recommend for anyone spending at least an extra day pre/post-cruise; can easily be done the day of the cruise with the late departure times.

We did El Yunque a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The hiking was awesome. If you enjoy nature I'd highly recommend it. And you also need to not mind getting SOAKED, it poured buckets. We weren't on a cruise though we were there for a 3 night weekend trip I had won through work.

The ship got in very early and as I recall met tour guide about 7 7 30 and we were with them until about 2 or so.

Saw some nice sites, took us to natural water slide out of the park and than to a beach.

And nice to have locals who told us what we were seeing.

Stayed a week in PR with my girls 2 years ago,went to Rainforest then but got there late and did not get to enjoy much. We are sailing from PR April 7 on Valor. Are planning to rent a car and go back to El Yunque Sunday before the cruise. One thing, it may be hot and humid, or it may be cool and foggy, be ready for either. Beautiful water falls and flowers.

Been to El Yunque twice now..once on a cruise stop and the other during a land trip to PR. Loved it both times! I used to live in Panama and it was nice experiencing the rain forest environment that I miss dearly.

If you've never driven in PR...prepare yourself. Ive driven in SF, NYC, etc...and can tell you that the drive in PR is the most adventerous! Follow the map closely or get GPS.

I concur with Deb! We went on the same cruise together and she was our "tour guide and fantastic driver!". I am so glad we went~ I loved it and my son still talks about that trip and going to the rain forest. Would absolutely do it again!:)

I never sailed to San Juan but I did do a land vacation there a couple of years ago. El Yunque is a nice place to visit if you are into nature. It is the only rainforest in the U.S. as well which is kind of cool. Certainly worthwhile to see.

However, have you been to Puerto Rico before? If you have not, old San Juan is a lovely area with lots of things to see [shops, cafes, the forts, Spanish colonial architecture, etc.]. If this is your frist time to San Juan I would probably choose staying in the old section of town and exploring there rather than treking to El Yunque. Having only 1 day on the island compared to 4 or 5 means you have to chose carefully how to spend your time. Are you a nature lover? If so, go to El Yunque. Do you like culture and history more? If that's the case skip it this time and stay in old San Juan. Either way, PR is a lovely island and you will have fun. Just remember it is the United States so expect U.S. prices...not huge discounts like you may find in some parts of the Caribbean.

We had an extra day in San Juan after our cruise several years ago so we rented a car and spent half a day at El Yunque. It was definitely worth it. I don't recall there being any issues with driving. We did Old San Juan before the cruise which is also great. You can see the pics in the link in my signature (Carnival Destiny cruise in 2008).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Worth the trip? Yes definitely if you enjoy hiking, water falls, nature and a beautiful rain forest.

Only caveat I would put on it when doing it as an excursion is be sure to get out of there and on the road back to San Juan early. San Juan traffic gets pretty bad. With no traffic, it'll take you about 45 minutes travel time. I'd allow at least twice that if trying to make it back to a ship knowing it would leave without me.

Archived